It’s Time for Black Athletes to Leave White Colleges - Jemele Hill OCTOBER 2019 ISSUE

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
The thing that is not being discussed in this thread is the television battle that took place in the 70's. At that time TV was not remotely like it is today. You had the Big 3 (ABC, NBC & CBS) and that was the chief networks where college football was being played. When the networks decided to start showing BCF, this caused friction with the major PWI(s) as they now had to share television time. The larger PWI were livid. If you recall, in the late 70's there was no such thing as a IA (now FBS) & 1AA (now FCS). One move that hurt HBCU(s) was accepting moving to a sub-division that was created to disenfranchise our football programs. The other nail in the coffin was the suit that Vince Dooley & UGA along with OK BOR filed to muscle the NCAA out of controlling broadcasting rights and allowing institutions to broker their own deals. Once this suit was won, cable television also was growing, expanding and the truth of the matter is this played as large of a role as Sam The Bam Cunningham march on Alabama in the current state of black athletes at large PWI(s). Equal television time and competing with BCF for television time became obsolete and the "rich got richer." This is the history that is swept under the rug and no one really like to talk about it....

Last edited:
@Dog81 Bear Bryant was also friends with Southern's Ace Mumford and when in Baton Rouge would make his stop in North BR and talk football strategy with Ace.....

Wow! I did not know that... I have heard some great things about Coach Mumford and how he ruled black college football. There should be more history shared about his success. The word in Tuscaloosa is Bear Bryant and Coach Robinson had set up a game to be played in Tuscaloosa. However, there was supposed to be a scheduling conflict that prohibited the game. My thoughts are , Grambling was loaded and Bear did not want to take that beat down...

Equal rights and the constitution has it benefits; however, it has been a major factor in the downfall of black college athletics. I don't care how many articles are written or how many people want the black athlete to leave white colleges it ain't happening. I am not against, It just ain't happening... Talk to a high school player and give them the choice...Television, facilities, nutritionist, medical staff, travel, access to personal trainers and position coaches, Becky, Mary Ann etc. to name a few... it's too much for these kids to pass up. You would be surprised at the vehicles these kids are driving at Alabama. When the recruit and parent come in for a recruiting visit they are treated like queens and kings.....plus, they graduate with either a bachelors or master's degree and/or play in the NFL...

Last edited:
Also let me add...what she didn't say.

PARENTS!!!!! and racist coaches.

You have parents that don't give a shit about HBCUs. They love to see their son at a white college along with his white girlfriend to make some "cute" mixed grandchildren....

Then the racist coaches who proclaim to "care" about the black players discard the recruitment letters from HBCUs.

That includes HBCU alums.

I think if trump gets another term those type of players choosing Hbcus might become a thing. The racial divide in this country is going to get worse

I honestly think this will happen. The Democrats are literally handing him the White House again with these trash candidates and turning off them most loyal voting block (black people) for non-citizens trying to replace them

I think we are probably a year or two from a 5 star football/one and done basketball player playing at a HBCU and that would start the trickle down effect

The thing that is not being discussed in this thread is the television battle that took place in the 70's. At that time TV was not remotely like it is today. You had the Big 3 (ABC, NBC & CBS) and that was the chief networks where college football was being played. When the networks decided to start showing BCF, this caused friction with the major PWI(s) as they now had to share television time. The larger PWI were livid. If you recall, in the late 70's there was no such thing as a IA (now FBS) & 1AA (now FCS). One move that hurt HBCU(s) was accepting moving to a sub-division that was created to disenfranchise our football programs. The other nail in the coffin was the suit that Vince Dooley & UGA along with OK BOR filed to muscle the NCAA out of controlling broadcasting rights and allowing institutions to broker their own deals. Once this suit was won, cable television also was growing, expanding and the truth of the matter is this played as large of a role as Sam The Bam Cunningham march on Alabama in the current state of black athletes at large PWI(s). Equal television time and competing with BCF for television time became obsolete and the "rich got richer." This is the history that is swept under the rug and no one really like to talk about it....
The whole reason SU played FAMU at LSU was because ABC requested it for its television broadcast.

I have not read the article yet but will soon.

"Some people point to September 12, 1970, as the day HBCUs lost their corner on the nation’s best black football talent. That’s the day an all-white Alabama team got their asses handed to them by the University of Southern California’s heralded African American triumvirate of quarterback Jimmy Jones and running backs Sam “Bam” Cunningham and Clarence Davis. After that, football programs in the Deep South realized that if they were going to stay competitive, they would have to recruit black players. (In other areas of the country, colleges had already begun to recruit African Americans: The Michigan State team that fought Notre Dame to a 10–10 draw in the fall of 1966—a contest that many still consider to be the best college football game of all time—had 20 black players.) "

-----------------------------

There is an ESPN 30 for 30 about this game.

Alabama's stadium was/is in a predominately black neighborhood and black people were not allowed to attend the games.

Well when all these black athletes showed up from USC....the black people thought it Grambling State....one of the black said, "Who in hell is Alabama playing, Grambling?"

Clarence Davis, who played for the Raiders, was born in Birmingham, moved to New York and then moved to California. He played at USC. After the game Bear Bryant said to him that he would not let Black players leave. Those who remember his '70s teams will remember how much and big the Tide won-especially against LSU, Tennessee and Auburn.

FAMU in the first round beat Jackson State on TV. Then they defeated UMass for the national championship on national TV in 1978. That suit by Georgia and Oklahoma was filed in 1978. I do not think it was a coincidence.

The year the SCOTUS ruled Dooley was being interviewed on local Atlanta about the Sherman Anti-Trust Act and the TV contracts by the NCAA. Of course this was during the Reagan years when the act was really not that enforced. I will say that Dooley got on my nerves.

@Dog81 Bear Bryant was also friends with Southern's Ace Mumford and when in Baton Rouge would make his stop in North BR and talk football strategy with Ace.....
Wow! I did not know that... I have heard some great things about Coach Mumford and how he ruled black college football. There should be more history shared about his success. The word in Tuscaloosa is Bear Bryant and Coach Robinson had set up a game to be played in Tuscaloosa. However, there was supposed to be a scheduling conflict that prohibited the game. My thoughts are , Grambling was loaded and Bear did not want take that beat down...

Equal rights and the constitution has it benefits; however, it has been a major factor in the downfall of black college athletics. I don't care how many articles are written or how many people want the black athlete to leave white colleges it ain't happening. I am not against, It just ain't happening... Talk to a high school player and give them the choice...Television, facilities, nutritionist, medical staff, travel, access to personal trainers and position coaches, Becky, Mary Ann etc. to name a few... it's too much for these kids to pass up. You would be surprised at the vehicles these kids are driving at Alabama. When the recruit and parent come in for a recruiting visit they are treated like queens and kings.....plus, they graduate with either a bachelors or master's degree and/or played in the NFL...

I did not know that either about Mumford and Bryant. I knew about Gaither and Bryant but not the S.U. coach, who died in 1962 (link).

At least three Tennessee State quarterbacks, Dickey, Gilliam and Joe Adams, were drafted by the AFL/NFL.

When it comes to gifts, I cannot forget about SMU.

Last edited:
FAMU in the first round beat Jackson State on TV. Then they defeated UMass for the national championship on national TV in 1978. That suit by Georgia and Oklahoma was filed in 1978. I do not think it was a coincidence.

The year the SCOTUS ruled Dooley was being interviewed on local Atlanta about the Sherman Anti-Trust Act and the TV contracts by the NCAA. Of course this was during the Reagan years when the act was really not that enforced. I will say that Dooley got on my nerves.

I did not know that either about Mumford and Bryant. I knew about Gaither and Bryant but not the S.U. coach, who died in 1962 (link).

At least three Tennessee State quarterbacks, Dickey, Gilliam and Joe Adams, were drafted by the AFL/NFL.

When it comes to gifts, I cannot forget about SMU.

Back then oft times, the networks would actually publicize a map, late in the week, and many times the college football games were carved up by regions. Because the best BCF was being played in the South, the SEC & part of SWC teams was taking a television hit which prompted anger and ultimately the suit.

At the time of Mumford's death, he was one of the preeminent coaches in college football that many looked up to and was a coaches role model. 35 All Americans 6 BCF National Titles and coaching in the first integrated bowl game was a part of his resume. Unfortunately, not enough is known about him and his accomplishments due to the time period in which he coached and lack of vision to document his tenure. Mumford would tell opposing coached what he was going to run and dare them to stop it....

I had the opportunity to see Joe "747" Adams play. He was good enough to play in the NFL consistently as well. Unfortunately there was still that myth about the "black quarterback lingering when he came out of college." If you were fortunate enough to watch the Bayou Classic as late as 1994, at half time NBC did a story on the plight of Black Quarterbacks that late in history.

Last edited:
And BOOM goes the dynamite. You hit that nail squarely on the head.

This is the reason I could care less about PWI football. They conspired to shut us out and also shut us down. They even sacrificed some of their own just to keep us out. See all those formerly 1A programs that are now FCS on lower lower tier fbs.

Back then oft times, the networks would actually publicize a map, late in the week, and many times the college football games were carved up by regions. Because the best BCF was being played in the South, the SEC & part of SWC teams was taking a television hit which prompted anger and ultimately the suit.

At the time of Mumford's death, he was one of the preeminent coaches in college football that many looked up to and was a coaches role model. 35 All Americans 6 BCF National Titles and coaching in the first integrated bowl game was a part of his resume. Unfortunately, not enough is known about him and his accomplishments due to the time period in which he coached and lack of vision to document his tenure. Mumford would tell opposing coached what he was going to run and dare them to stop it....

I had the opportunity to see Joe "747" Adams play. He was good enough to play in the NFL consistently as well. Unfortunately there was still that myth about the "black quarterback lingering when he came out of college." If you were fortunate enough to watch the Bayou Classic as late as 1994, at half time NBC did a story on the plight of Black Quarterbacks that late in history.

Coach Mumford and his coaches
1567733585245.png

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
This is the reason I could care less about PWI football. They conspired to shut us out and also shut us down. They even sacrificed some of their own just to keep us out. See all those formerly 1A programs that are now FCS on lower lower tier fbs.

This is a classic example and microcosm of the "Southern Strategy."

President Lyndon B. Johnson once said, "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

Last edited:
Wow! I did not know that... I have heard some great things about Coach Mumford and how he ruled black college football. There should be more history shared about his success.

Many people tend to think that Bear Bryant career began in 1958 at Alabama. Coach Bryant was around football for many years. Though he didn't get his 1st head coaching job until 1945 (Maryland). He started as an assistant football coach back in 1936 (Alabama). Yes, he certainly knew Ace Mumford...

Last edited:
That includes HBCU alums.

Unfortunately, after all of these years, I know some HBCU alums that are still angry with their school for something as simple as standing in a financial aid line so I know you're on the money. Sometimes I see former HBCU athletic alums who children played ball at PWI and just don't comment on it.....

I think if trump gets another term those type of players choosing Hbcus might become a thing. The racial divide in this country is going to get worse

I honestly don't think so. The programming of some is soooooooooooo deeeeeep....... Speak on it, sister Tubman.... "I could have freed a thousand more slaves IF they only knew they were slaves."

Those boys and girls at those schools are oblivious as to what their purpose is at those schools AND how their talents are being exploited for entertainment and monetary purposes.

*queue up the local colored negro who will state that HBCUs do the same w/ exploitation lol* I beat you to the punch and NO, HBCUs are not doing likewise, imho.

I honestly don't think so. The programming of some is soooooooooooo deeeeeep....... Speak on it, sister Tubman.... "I could have freed a thousand more slaves IF they only knew they were slaves."

Those boys and girls at those schools are oblivious as to what their purpose is at those schools AND how their talents are being exploited for entertainment and monetary purposes.

*queue up the local colored negro who will state that HBCUs do the same w/ exploitation lol* I beat you to the punch and NO, HBCUs are not doing likewise, imho.

This whole conversation is centered around the desires and wants of HBCU stakeholders instead of what’s best for the athletes.

This is not to say that black schools aren’t good options or shouldn’t be considered. They’re damn good ones. But we’d be fooling ourselves if we fail to admit the demand that the best black athletes attend HBCUs isn’t one that’s driven by the understanding that these kids are commodities who can be used to enrich institutions.

We’re not even just talking about black athletes attending HBCUs. If we were this discussion isn’t happening because all of our HBCU teams are overwhelmingly black.

But we’re talking a certain kind or class of black athlete needing to attend HBCUs, which is why this conversation keeps happening.

So yes, HBCUs would love to exploit their talents for whatever financial windfall that can be gained (hell every school exploits these kids because everyone is making money off them except the athlete themselves), because at the end of the day colleges and athletics are businesses. And we often talk about all the components that come along with that.

Last edited:
This whole conversation is centered around the desires and wants of HBCU stakeholders instead of what’s best for the athletes.

This is not to say that black schools aren’t good options or shouldn’t be considered. They’re damn good ones. But we’d be fooling ourselves if we fail to admit the demand that the best black athletes attend HBCUs isn’t one that’s driven by the understanding that these kids are commodities who can be used to enrich institutions.

We’re not even just talking about black athletes attending HBCUs. If we were this discussion isn’t happening because all of our HBCU teams are overwhelmingly black.

But we’re talking a certain kind or class of black athlete needing to attend HBCUs, which is why this conversation keeps happening.

So yes, HBCUs would love to exploit their talents for whatever financial windfall that can be gained (hell every school exploits these kids because everyone is making money off them except the athlete themselves), because at the end of the day colleges and athletics are businesses. And we often talk about all the components that come along with that.
From what source does the exploitation become more palatable or bearable?

Unfortunately, after all of these years, I know some HBCU alums that are still angry with their school for something as simple as standing in a financial aid line so I know you're on the money. Sometimes I see former HBCU athletic alums who children played ball at PWI and just don't comment on it.....

That is still one of the main reasons why HBCU alums hold grudges against their alma maters. Some of it is well grounded but I would be lying if I didn't believe many of these issues was the fault of the alum

I always think of Reischea Canidate (former host of Cold Pizza (now First Take)) who parents went to Southern but she went to USC I believe. It's that generation where all of this really started to take a turn to where we are today (she's in her mid 40s now I believe since it's been at least 7-8 years since she was last on Cold Pizza)

If you could only have seen some of the angst in the Valley Facebook groups after the basketball and band director hires and people being mad because their homeboys didn't get the job.

HBCUS await her monetary giving for funding for facilities, strength and conditioning clinics, athletic trainer clinics to beef up trainers on our campuses and sharing our footage on her large social media platform to go with her "preaching" from the pulpit she has done here.

Bomani Jones brought this up on High Noon yesterday. Pablo kind of let Bomani speak his peace since Bomani is a proud HBCU alum (CAU) who is rooted in HBCU culture (his father worked at Valley, PV and a number of other HBCUs) so he has an understanding that most at the Worldwide Leader don't (Stephen A., Stan Verette, etc. being the exceptions)

Let's say Valley for example starts getting these athletes and we start winning and our national profile rises to NDSU's level. Everyone still benefits from these student-athletes except for them (although NDSU is supposed to start offering their football team COA money). It just makes it more palatable because of our history and that, right now, we actually graduate a good number of players with meaningful degrees instead of General Studies

Back