Hopson to USM

Southern Miss has hired Alcorn State's Jay Hopson as its new head football coach.

USM athletic director Bill McGillis announced the news on his Twitter account just after 8 p.m. Saturday night.

Hopson replaces former coach Todd Monken, who stepped down last week to become the offensive coordinator for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

A press conference introducing Hopson to USM fans will take place Monday at a time to be determined.

Bruce Feldman of Fox Sports reported Florida offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier, who was labeled the top candidate, pulled out Saturday. Middle Tennessee defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix also decided to end his candidacy, according to CoachingSearch.com.

That put the target squarely on Hopson entering Saturday afternoon.

National Signing Day is set for Wednesday, putting pressure on Hopson to help close the deal on recruits who may be waffling due to uncertainty in the football program.

Read more here: http://www.sunherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/patrick-magee/article57542358.html#storylink=cpy

Thank you Coach Hopson for the Ships. Good luck at USM..On to the next.
Way to keep the Brave face. If you say you are not worried now you are lying and not too smart. lol We tried to tell you, I guess you were in denial. Don't worry it's a natural part of the process.

Darrell Asberry, to the rescue. He has strong ties to MS. I think he would be a great fit.

Way to keep the Brave face. If you say you are not worried now you are lying and not too smart. lol We tried to tell you, I guess you were in denial. Don't worry it's a natural part of the process.

Darrell Asberry, to the rescue. He has strong ties to MS. I think he would be a great fit.

LOL

Alcorn should promote Kais in a moment.
I'm sure Hopson gave the AD a heads up and recommended a replacement.
Hopefully, it won't severely damage Alcorns recruiting efforts.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Fred McNair will be the interim head coach at Alcorn State</p>&mdash; Ray Coleman (@RayColemanTV) <a href="">January 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hey Alcorn!!!! This guy has the moving truck already packed

hqdefault.jpg

Back