High School Boys & Girls Basketball Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
That maybe true, but the Grambling High Kittens are loaded this year. Hopefully we'll meet you in the semis.

Jax said:
But...We all know that road to Boys 1A State Championship runs through SOUTHERN LAB!!!:jump:

www.thetowntalk.com

Peabody falls, but may have new life
By Chris Nelsen
cnelsen@thetowntalk
(318) 487-6367

HAMMOND -- During an emotional news conference, Peabody senior Kayla Guidry choked back tears as she came to the realization that her high school basketball career was finished.

Minutes after Guidry and Warhorses coach Debbie Brasher addressed the media -- where they tried to make sense of their 53-41 loss to McDonogh #35 in a Class 4A semifinal Wednesday night -- Peabody players and coaches boarded a bus headed back to Alexandria.

Shortly after the Warhorses left The University Center in Hammond, LHSAA Commissioner Tommy Henry called a news conference to explain a "situation" that had arose regarding McDonogh #35 and the possibility that the Roneagles had used "an ineligible coach" during Wednesday's game.

"It's an investigative process, but there is a possibility that we could have a problem in this ball game," Henry explained to a packed media room.
Henry went on to say that he became suspicious when he noticed three coaches on the Roneagles' bench during the game, although the team had only listed two coaches on its roster sheet.

When Henry approached the third coach -- who was identified as Kevin Williams -- Henry was told by Williams that he was a team manager, not a coach.

Henry was hesitant to believe what Williams said because he was on the bench without a clipboard (which would have been used to keep stats) and he wasn't handing out towels (which would have been one of the duties of a team manager).

"It's unfortunate and I'm hopeful that (Williams) can come up with the right credentials because I do like to see the wins on the court stand, if they are within our rules," Henry said.

Although Henry could not give many details about the investigation, he did say that a ruling should come today, most likely following Glenmora's Class B semifinal game at 5 p.m.

If Williams can prove that he is a certified coach -- according to LHSAA guidelines -- then the Roneagles will keep their win and play Glen Oaks in the Class 4A championship Saturday night.

But -- and it's a crucially important "but" for Peabody -- if Williams is proven to lack the proper credentials, then the Warhorses would win the semifinal game by a forfeit, thus putting Peabody in Saturday's final.

"I haven't made a decision," Henry said. "Right now, McDonogh 35 has won that ball game, and it's going to stay that way until I've reviewed this coach's credentials and then I'll make a decision. If it meets our rules, then the win stands. If not, by the rules, it's always a forfeit."

Brasher was reached on her cell phone shortly after the announcement, but she could say very little about the situation.

"On the advice of Mr. Henry, I can't really comment right now," said Brasher, who added that she was completely unaware the Roneagles may have been using an illegal coach.

Once Henry makes his decision, he said there could be an emergency appeal by either team, which would be heard on Friday.

If the Warhorses are given the victory, they might have to play Saturday's game without Guidry, who broke her left wrist during warm-ups prior to Wednesday's contest. Despite the injury, she played 27 minutes and scored 14 points to lead Peabody.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
read here for the whole storyhttp://www.hammondstar.com/articles/2006/03/02/sports/sports985.txt

LHSAA investigates McDonogh coach
BY FRED BATISTE

The cheering after advancing to the Class 4A title game in the State Farm/LHSAA Sweet 16 turned into uncertainty for McDonogh 35 Wednesday night as the LHSAA announced it is looking into a possible rules violation.
Commissioner Tommy Henry said the LHSAA is investigating whether 35 had an illegal coach on the bench during its game against Peabody, which the Lady Roneagles won 53-41. Officials from the New Orleans school must provide information proving one of their coaches is a legal coach.
"I have no comment, not until I see what he says," Lady Roneagles head coach Danielle Allen-Lewis said. "We'll figure out something."
The person in question is Kevin Williams, who is listed as head girls basketball coach at John F. Kennedy High School in the Louisiana High School Coaches Association's 2005-06 directory. Kennedy has not reopened since Hurricane Katrina struck in late August.

www.thetowntalk.com

Peabody's loss stands

LHSAA commissioner Tommy Henry ruled Thursday that the result of the Peabody Magnet High School Lady Warhorses' Class 4A semifinal loss to McDonogh #35 Wednesday will stand.

McDonogh could have forfeited the game for using an illegal coach, but Henry approved the participation of the coach in question. McDonogh was fined for not listing the coach on its roster.

Peabody lost the game, 53-41.

JagBR said:
Journalist, have you done a story on the Woodlawn Panthers yet?

naw...I'm stuck here in Hammond covering Sweet 16...I'll have quotes from McDonogh 35 coach Danielle Allen-Lewis (Saints KR Michael Lewis' wife) in my story from Sweet 16...

In Class 5A,

Airline beat Denham Springs by double-digits

Now Destrehan vs. Southwood Community College

District 1-5a put five teams in the playoffs...four made the quarters and two are here in Hammond...one's in the title game...

Possibly going to marksville to cover teh Independence vs. Marksville quarterfinal game..should be off the chain though

I didn't even realize that my alma mater had fielded any basketball teams since reopening. Go Lady RONEAGLES!!!!!!:flippy:

3-5, 3-5!!​

Blacknbengal said:
Sorry NT, but the Wingfield Falcons is coming to send them home.

UH OH!!!! THE BLUE AND GOLD!!!! :D

Watch out for this guy!!!! My nephew!!!

"We're back here live at the Big House..... Your score is Wingfield 65, Madison Central 64 with 7.5 seconds left on the clock... the Jaguars inbound the ball... Atkins to Buckley... Buckley gets it out to Reed beyond the arch... Reed aims let's go of it..... THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! That's your ballgames folx.

n101702977_30046522_7075.jpg

n101702977_30046524_1100.jpg

n101702977_30041429_4942.jpg

this is a rough version of the McDonogh 35 update... the finished version should be at http://www.hammondstar.com/sports in the afternoon..

McDonogh 35's roller-coaster ride to Saturday's Class 4A title game will continue as the LHSAA ruled the Lady Roneagles can still compete at the State Farm/LHSAA Sweet 16 Tournament, but not without receiving some penalties.
Commissioner Tommy Henry, however, announced Thursday the LHSAA sanctioned the New Orleans school for failing to register coaches once the school reopened. The association also fined the school $250 for having Kevin Williams on the bench during the Lady Roneagles' 4A semifinal win over Peabody Wednesday and placed the girls basketball program on administrative probation until Jan. 2007.
"Now we can kind of relax and I can concentrate on my girls, and I don't have to come up with this big speech about why we're not playing," head coach Danielle Allen-Lewis said. "Now I can cay it's on you all (in the state championship game)."
The LHSAA also instructed McDonogh 35 officials to reprimand Allen-Lewis, but not put her on probation. She will not be required to attend coaches' education classes and will be allowed to keep her coaches' card.
"We find this is not a violation of the LHSAA's coaching rules, but there are some violations that McDonogh is involved in short of that," Henry said. "Their victory of Peabody High School will stand and they are scheduled to play Glen Oaks on Saturday."
The decision comes just 24 hours after Henry announced the association was investigating the eligibility of Williams. No records existed of head coach Danielle Allen-Lewis and assistant coach Eric Duncan. Duncan was ruled eligible because of his participation in the LHSAA's Coaches Education and Certification Program.
Williams, who is listed head girls basketball coach at John F. Kennedy High School in the Louisiana High School Coaches Association's 2005-06 directory, is also deemed as an eligible assistant coach because he is a full-time student enrolled in Southern University-New Orleans' school of education.
Henry said Thursday full-time college students majoring in education are eligible to be assistant coaches.
"Today, the interim dean of education at Southern University-New Orleans verified it in writing that Kevin Williams is a full-time student enrolled in education at Southern University-New Orleans, and that makes him legal under our rules."
Williams will not be allowed to serve at any capacity on the bench during Saturday's 7 p.m. 4A title game, Henry said. He can sit at the scorer's table and act as an official scorekeeper, but cannot have any contact with the team before the game, at halftime or during the game.

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
YEA yall lame arse have to face the REAL LAB...and the REAL KITTENS!!!!
LOL,,,The REAL LAB has 18 State Champsonship in boy's basketball....:saw:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I was in Marksville...Independence got hosed!!!!

LHSAA is a bunch of retards... Peabody vs. Northside in the 4A SEMIFINALS???? :smh:

At Halftime in the Louisiana's 3A girls state title game..

Franklin 20, Capitol 16
adrienne johnson leads franklin with 10 points, Alexis Rack has 3 (all on FTs)...
Tysheka Grimes has six to lead Capitol

Grimes and Rack are going to be teammates at Mississippi State next season...

Glen Oaks vs. McDonogh 35 in the 4A title game is next tonight in Hammond

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
YEA yall lame arse have to face the REAL LAB...and the REAL KITTENS!!!!
Now come on 'Sweet Nupe Pee' You don't believe that yourself and you know no one else believes you. Hey, you need to go to church tomorrow and ask the Lord to forgive you, for you know not what you say. Grambling High or Alma Brown as I knew it just took on the Lab name to immulate the powerful Southern University Laboratory School Jaguar Kittens. Oh! by the way, we will win the school its 100 state championship this year, if not in basketball there always Girls or Boys track. You see 'Sweetie' we have many options and so many roads that we can take to a State Championships. But the question for you is which one of SOUTHERN LAB'S team will get our 100th championship? Now that a question for your arse!! Don't take to long to pick one because we will win it quicker than you can say 'grambling hi.. no I mean lab.

NOISE TALKA said:
"We're back here live at the Big House..... Your score is Wingfield 65, Madison Central 64 with 7.5 seconds left on the clock... the Jaguars inbound the ball... Atkins to Buckley... Buckley gets it out to Reed beyond the arch... Reed aims let's go of it..... THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! That's your ballgames folx.

n101702977_30046522_7075.jpg

n101702977_30046524_1100.jpg

n101702977_30041429_4942.jpg

Good game!!!! Wingfield needs to fire their coach.

Journalist said:
LHSAA is a bunch of retards... Peabody vs. Northside in the 4A SEMIFINALS???? :smh:

Look at the girls side... Glen Oaks vs Vandebilt in the QUARTERS.:smh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back