Hampton's Jerome Mathis: I Will Be The Best Out of This Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
JROCK said:
I am not sure that Vernon is "the best" receiver in the SWAC. However, I am sure that there are not 5 receivers in the conference better than him.

We have 3 to 4 recievers on our team that are better than vernon.

MACHIAVELLI said:
We have 3 to 4 recievers on our team that are better than vernon.

LOL.

I hope DNice doesn't see this. After the pitiful display we saw in Cincy, I wouldn't say that at all. Even with Abney and Harris back. I would only put Abney in Vernon's league. Harris dropped alot of balls the season before he got hurt as well.

Vernon is about as good as they come in the SWAC. He can go deep, catch the short pass and turn it into a first down or a score. His only question mark is durability. Definitely not his hands. The only drops he had was when he was hurt and I think he was trying to hard. The SD State game was early in the season and at that time none of the WRs had really stepped up. Hell to think about SU has about 3 WRs just as good as Abney or better outside of Vernon.

Mach, I am beginning to see that you just can't stand nothing about SU. Now I could see if this was the Smack board.

Nevermind. All our WRs are inferior to the GSU WRs. :smh:

JR said:
Mach, I am beginning to see that you just can't stand nothing about SU. Now I could see if this was the Smack board.

Nevermind. All our WRs are inferior to the GSU WRs. :smh:

This has nothing to do with southern, although you think that everytime someone say something contrary.

Grambling was missing 88 catches, 1,350 yards and 12 TD's last year with the Harris and Abney being injured. That returns this year with Edwards and Tolbert along with a QB that can get them the ball.

I agree with your last statement and they are inferior to Alcorns too.

BgJag said:
Just now realizing that?

BG,
I guess you try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Or WRs are very good if not the best group in the SWAC. Anybody with any sense can see that. They made Ricks look better than he was alot of times. Wait until the SWAC sees what happens to them with an very accurate QB under center in JC Lewis. Next thing it will be because of our system. LOL.

MACHIAVELLI said:
This has nothing to do with southern, although you think that everytime someone say something contrary.

Grambling was missing 88 catches, 1,350 yards and 12 TD's last year with the Harris and Abney being injured. That returns this year with Edwards and Tolbert along with a QB that can get them the ball.

I agree with your last statement and they are inferior to Alcorns too.

BG, see what I mean.

Even though we had a sensational breakout year for True Freshman Rogers Taylor, considering he had to learn on the fly. Emile Bryant had big games against both Bamas. Gerard Landry an all-state kid hasn't even hit stride yet. Antonio Overstreet had a solid year. James Vernon is well James Vernon. Then we get back Junior Joseph who may be better than all of them and our group is worse than 2 WRs at Alcorn?
Man this dude is more myopic than GSUPE.

I am convinced now that he knows nothing about football. I bet if he asked the SWAC coaches how good is SU WR core he would get an entirely different answer.

Come on now Mach. I'll admit Tim Abney as good as they come, if he comes back healthy he could be the best in the SWAC. With that said, you can't put Moses Harris, and hands in the same category, and I'm sure you Gram folk if you're honest can agree. That's not smack at all, the kid is fast as a cheetah, but in the hands department he's 50/50-60/40. Clyde Edwards showed flashes as a freshman, I think he could be the next great Gram reciever, but trust from what I saw last year, you don't have 5 recievers that's better than Vernon. Henry Tolbert didn't do squat last year.

That group was so handicapped last year, Spears was scared to throw the ball as the end of the season.

Honestly, I can't say there's 5 reciever's in the entire SWAC let alone Gram that's better than Vernon.

Lord knows I saw enough dropped balls in Cincy to know that this group of Gram recievers will have it's work cut out for them. Abney, and Harris will make them better as a group, but outside of Edwards there was nobody that I was impressed with at all from the group last year.

Back to original topic, I hope Mathis does his thing, like most I expect him to be gone before the 2nd round is up, because the kid can flat out fly. I didn't see a lot of Hampton last year, so I don't know how he is as far as route running goes, but he should contribute immediately on special teams for whatever team that drafts him.

NICE

MACHIAVELLI said:
Based on what?

Based on Production. Pull up the stats. Every week a different WR stepped up to the plate and produced.

Vernon, Taylor, Bryant, and Overstreet all won games for us this year and made big plays. Not to mention Jamal Huff was another threat.

We didn't have a 1000 yard WR and Ricks threw for how many yards? Just asking. That should tell you how productive those guys were. This aint no Philly thing were TO was the only legit WR.

All our WRs did well last year. Now they are all back including J. Joseph who had the best spring practice out of all them before the season started and he was declared ineligible. How many times did you see a SU WR drop a crucial ball. Not too many. If anything they were running open all year and sometimes Ricks missed them. More than I care to remember.

JR said:
BG, see what I mean.

I am convinced now that he knows nothing about football. I bet if he asked the SWAC coaches how good is SU WR core he would get an entirely different answer.
It like the experiment with a bell and dog. Not sure about his football knowledge but believe he knows alot about bands.:winkgrin:

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
Thinking Bayou Classic 2003. 500 plus yards thru the air. You are really funny :lmao: :lmao:
Figured this response would be the next post...those balls looked like Mallard Ducks in the air. Foolish coverage that NFL teams do not use led to 500 + yds. Nonetheless, this was the last championship on the Bluff for at least 5 years.

BgJag said:
It like the experiment with a bell and dog. Not sure about his football knowledge but believe he knows alot about bands.:winkgrin:

Hell, even the band knowledge is suspect. He is I have info guy. Kinda like TBF. But having the actual band or football knowledge is suspect in my opinion. I thought differently until his last few posts. At least GSUPE does his in jest. I think Mach actually believes that our WRs are worse than GSUs and Alcorns.

Thinking to myself, we came into the 04 season with All-SWAC Alfred Ard missing, NY Giant Chris Davis missing, Drayton Bridges missing, not to mention that Richard was gone.

Then what happens......Ricks is SWAC Offensive Player of the year with a new set of WRs. Meanwhile GSU loses Bruce like we lost Richard. Then they lose Abney and Harris to injury as well as Tramon Douglass graduating. So basically they were in the same boat as SU. But couldn't pass the ball to save their lives. Like DNice said, Spears had no confidence in the passing game down the stretch. I wish our coaches would have figured that out and we would have won the BC. SMH. So if SU could put up close to same amount of offense as the previous year with an new WR cast, then that should tell you something. They are pretty good.

JR said:
BG,
I guess you try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Or WRs are very good if not the best group in the SWAC. Anybody with any sense can see that. They made Ricks look better than he was alot of times. Wait until the SWAC sees what happens to them with an very accurate QB under center in JC Lewis. Next thing it will be because of our system. LOL.
JR, give a period when SU has ever had better WRs than Grambling? I give you 2004 due to injuries at Gram.

DNICE... Does James Vernon have "Great Hands"
DSC04224[0][1]_small.JPG

GSUperTiger said:
JR, give a period when SU has ever had better WRs than Grambling? I give you 2004 due to injuries at Gram.

Uh Supe that's what we are talking about. You guys are hoping that Abney and Harris return to form. I will give you Abney and Edwards is a rising star. Harris is no better than Emile Bryant or Rogers Taylor. Overstreet and Vernon are just as good of a combination as Abney and Edwards. Now you throw in our depth and experience at that position and we are way better than your group.

lol @ Mach. Man, I've been meaning to ask you, when did you take that picture? I saw you on the sidelines at the Classic before the game started, but I didn't see you the rest of the game.

Vernon, has good hands. I wouldn't say great, because he's dropped a few, but in his defense some of them just weren't catchable. In saying that, he catch's way more than he drops. Trust me on that. I'm sure Gram would love to have him.

NICE

JR said:
Uh Supe that's what we are talking about. You guys are hoping that Abney and Harris return to form. I will give you Abney and Edwards is a rising star. Harris is no better than Emile Bryant or Rogers Taylor. Overstreet and Vernon are just as good of a combination as Abney and Edwards. Now you throw in our depth and experience at that position and we are way better than your group.
With a vanilla, inexperienced QB form Northern Cali... are you serious? The only adjective I get from you and D Nice is that the kid is heady. Knowing thermodynamics will not help against a defensive line of Jason Hatcher (6'8" 280lbs), Lennard Patton (6'5 300 lbs), Jason Banks (6'5 300), and Wiggins (6'2 275lbs).

Quarterback: Advantage Grambling
Defensive backs: Advantage Grambling
WRs (with Abney, Edwards, Harris, and Tolbert): Advantage Grambling

biggest question is Abney and how his hamstring responds

GSUperTiger said:
With a vanilla, inexperienced QB form Northern Cali... are you serious? The only adjective I get from you and D Nice is that the kid is heady. Knowing thermodynamics will not help against a defensive line of Jason Hatcher (6'8" 280lbs), Lennard Patton (6'5 300 lbs), Jason Banks (6'5 300), and Wiggins (6'2 275lbs).

Quarterback: Advantage Grambling
Defensive backs: Advantage Grambling
WRs (with Abney, Edwards, Harris, and Tolbert): Advantage Grambling

biggest question is Abney and how his hamstring responds

The last heady Qb we had beat the brakes off GSU. Underestimate JC if you like. Your DL will not even touch him. Remember heady Qbs get rid of the ball quickly. Just like another North Cali QB named Tom Brady.

JR said:
The last heady Qb we had beat the brakes off GSU. Underestimate JC if you like. Your DL will not even touch him. Remember heady Qbs get rid of the ball quickly. Just like another North Cali QB named Tom Brady.
And the last southpaw from SU transferred to Gram, and the Icon took him to the league.

GSUperTiger said:
And the last southpaw from SU transferred to Gram, and the Icon took him to the league.

Who was that? You talking about big boy from BR who couldn't control his emotions when it came to SU and lost every BC he started at GSU? The one who couldn't hit the side of a barn. (Thanks GR) BTW who took him in the NFL? I only remember Hymes going to the NFL as a WR. He was a much better QB than the SU transfer. The one who couldn't beat out Marcus Jacoby who btw was 2-0 in BC games.

See GSUPE you always talk about stars and the athletes GSU has. But football is a team game. We are like the Patriots. We just get it done. Pete fields a team instead of a collection of individual talent. The most talent most of the time never wins in football. I wonder why.

:read:

While y'all bickering, y'all better watch out what's sneaking up on y'all in the rear. :uhoh:

Of course, as a team, PV isn't on SU or GSU's level. We don't have that kind of talent. :tup:

Carry on! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back