GSU talking to Houston about football game

Status
Not open for further replies.
GRAM4LIFE said:
Talks are always on going with anything. If they do not provide the money and we get a better deal with the money then oh well.

:tup:............common sense

Jag Voice said:
That's the best attitude to have. UH barely averages 20K so I don't see how they can promise a huge payout.

This is the type of game that would be ideal if 8 HBCU's went 1-A. Can you imagine SU fans outnumbering Houston fans in a Houston arena or TNState fans outnumbering Memphis fans?? In a conference with 7 guaranteed conference games, most marginal 1-A's would love to play us to increase their attendance. I know this was off topic but I think such a situation would be ideal for both institutions.

..Grambling, if you are still entertaining a promoter who has been working on a game for 3 months, you all need to look elsewhere. That is my only point. It does not appear that you are conducting this in a professional manner. If you new rule is "upfront money or we are out"...why are you still listening to what they have say. What is the deadline?

Also, i am very surprised that these 1-A schools don't have full schedules unless GSU is going to be their 12th game. This happened to us when we ended up playing New Haven. USM strung us along until March and there was no one else to play.

Tigerpride said:
..Grambling, if you are still entertaining a promoter who has been working on a game for 3 months, you all need to look elsewhere. That is my only point. It does not appear that you are conducting this in a professional manner. If you new rule is "upfront money or we are out"...why are you still listening to what they have say. What is the deadline?

What the hell are you talking about TP? How is it that we are not conducting this in a professional manner when it is clear that there are a number of schools still trying to finalize their schedules (see TCU, see UH, see Minnesota and the rest). Did you not read that article on the U. of Minnesota? Putting a schedule together is not as easy as some of us may think.

There is a business side to this that can not be ignored.

SAME OLD G said:
What the hell are you talking about TP? How is it that we are not conducting this in a professional manner when it is clear that there are a number of schools still trying to finalize their schedules (see TCU, see UH, see Minnesota and the rest). Did you not read that article on the U. of Minnesota? Putting a schedule together is not as easy as some of us may think.

There is a business side to this that can not be ignored.

Are those teams trying to get an 11th game or a 12th game?

Tigerpride said:
Are those teams trying to get an 11th game or a 12th game?
Most of the 1A schools are probably trying to get a 12th game. In Minnesota's case, the Big Ten was in the process of working out a deal with the MAC to play 2-for-1's (MAC teams travel twice to get one return date from the Big Ten). I think they had Grambling (and others) on stand-by for the '06 season just in case the MAC deal fell through....

I see why UH is negotiating with Grambling because New Mexico St. axed UH for TSU

Las Cruces, N.M. -- After announcing a very promising recruiting class for the 2006 season, New Mexico state head football coach Hal Mumme announced the Aggies? 2006 schedule Thursday afternoon. In 2006, the Aggies will face four bowl teams from the 2005 season; including three conference foes. http://www.nmstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1900&ATCLID=242644

That frees up Sept. 16 or 25th for UH and Grambling possibly according to the UH schedule and their fans

:lmao: A school in New Mexico cancels UH to play TSU, which is across the street from UH...uh..lets play each other :idea:

Re: I see why UH is negotiating with Grambling because New Mexico St. axed UH for TS

I guess NMSU figured they could get TSU for a better bargan.

This is a great idea for Grambling, but bad idea for Houston. You dont want to take a chance on a SWAC school they might just kick your arse. Go Grambling.:tup:

Croft84 said:
This is a great idea for Grambling, but bad idea for Houston. You dont want to take a chance on a SWAC school they might just kick your arse. Go Grambling.:tup:

Ummm, they are not.

Let's be real.. this is a step up in competition. I love the SWAC but ain't a team in our conference would be favored going into this game. But I think Grambling has a chance...But Houston has got to be favored.

The key will be for our coaches to go in with a sound game plan and with the team mentally/physically prepared to play. A team is mentally prepared when it doesn't matter who the opposition will be. Play the game to the best of your ability and focus on executing and being fundamentally sound. Do that consistently and you stand a good chance of winning.

Grambling is the SWAC's best chance of pulling off a win against a D1A program. I definitely want to get the win and hopefully in front of a packed house of GSU fans. That would be a double win!!!!!

MikeBigg said:
Let's be real.. this is a step up in competition. I love the SWAC but ain't a team in our conference would be favored going into this game. But I think Grambling has a chance...But Houston has got to be favored.

The key will be for our coaches to go in with a sound game plan and with the team mentally/physically prepared to play. A team is mentally prepared when it doesn't matter who the opposition will be. Play the game to the best of your ability and focus on executing and being fundamentally sound. Do that consistently and you stand a good chance of winning.

Grambling is the SWAC's best chance of pulling off a win against a D1A program. I definitely want to get the win and hopefully in front of a packed house of GSU fans. That would be a double win!!!!!

COSIGN !!!!!

Want to know how McNeese scheduling luck sucks? Several weeks ago Houston contacts us about a game on the Sep 16th. We tell them thanks for the call but our schedule is full and we are playing Portland St. on that date. One week later Portland St. calls and says guess what? We aren't coming because we got a big I-A payday offer, here is your $50,000 for us cancelling. Of course, Houston made the deal with Grambling in the week between us telling them no and Portland St. cancelling on us. Anybody got an open date for Sept 16th?

Doc

McNeese72 said:
Want to know how McNeese scheduling luck sucks? Several weeks ago Houston contacts us about a game on the Sep 16th. We tell them thanks for the call but our schedule is full and we are playing Portland St. on that date. One week later Portland St. calls and says guess what? We aren't coming because we got a big I-A payday offer, here is your $50,000 for us cancelling. Of course, Houston made the deal with Grambling in the week between us telling them no and Portland St. cancelling on us. Anybody got an open date for Sept 16th?

Doc
we don't. We have some butt to kick in Houston on that date. But that really sucks. :nod:

Jag-BR said:
we don't. We have some butt to kick in Houston on that date. But that really sucks. :nod:

Why don't y'all cancel that game like y'all did the other swac school that year and play mcneese as a make up game for not playing them last year !! That really sucks I guess !!!!!! :hat: :hat: :hat:

STC_60 said:
Why don't y'all cancel that game like y'all did the other swac school that year and play mcneese as a make up game for not playing them last year !! That really sucks I guess !!!!!! :hat: :hat: :hat:
Why don't yall replay all yall games and use eligible people this time. That really sucks I gues!!!! :hat: :hat: :hat:

Jag-BR said:
Why don't yall replay all yall games and use eligible people this time. That really sucks I gues!!!! :hat: :hat: :hat:

I apologize i must have hit a nerve or somethin!!

WE WON'T HAVE TO REPLAY THOSE GAMES !!

We would have put 80 on your team anyways.

I HATE NCAA SMACK !! I WILL NOT SMACK NO HBCU ABOUT ANY NCAA SANCTIONS!! TRUE OR FALSE !! KEEP ON TALKING CAUSE IT RAINS IN SCOTTLANVILLE ALSO !!:hat: :hat: :hat:

Like I said why don't Y'all cancel like you did uapb that year and schedule mcneese as a make up game since y'all did not rechedule or even try to reschedule them( MCNEESE). I guess that still sucks !!!!!

MCNEESE72, I APOLOGIZE FOR THE DUCKING THAT WENT ON BY MY SCOTTLANDVILLE COUSINS !!!!1 PETE WAS WELL...... YOU KNOW !!

ALBANY STATE, MY REGARDS ALSO!!! "THEY" KNEW AN "L" WAS FORTH COMING SO EXCUSE THEM PLEASE !!!!:hat: :hat: That albany state loss would have really sucked !!!! :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bump:

STC_60 said:
I apologize i must have hit a nerve or somethin!!

WE WON'T HAVE TO REPLAY THOSE GAMES !!

We would have put 80 on your team anyways.

I HATE NCAA SMACK !! I WILL NOT SMACK NO HBCU ABOUT ANY NCAA SANCTIONS!! TRUE OR FALSE !! KEEP ON TALKING CAUSE IT RAINS IN SCOTTLANVILLE ALSO !!:hat: :hat: :hat:

Like I said why don't Y'all cancel like you did uapb that year and schedule mcneese as a make up game since y'all did not rechedule or even try to reschedule them( MCNEESE). I guess that still sucks !!!!!

MCNEESE72, I APOLOGIZE FOR THE DUCKING THAT WENT ON BY MY SCOTTLANDVILLE COUSINS !!!!1 PETE WAS WELL...... YOU KNOW !!

ALBANY STATE, MY REGARDS ALSO!!! "THEY" KNEW AN "L" WAS FORTH COMING SO EXCUSE THEM PLEASE !!!!:hat: :hat: That albany state loss would have really sucked !!!! :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bump:
well he!! I must have hit mine to because we dont have to reschedule that game against McNeese, and we wouldnt do it if they wanted us to.

Jag-BR said:
well he!! I must have hit mine to because we dont have to reschedule that game against McNeese, and we wouldnt do it if they wanted us to.

(ROBIN HARRIS VOICE )

OH I KNOW YOU AINT GOIN DO IT NO MO'!!!!!

Y'all did not want to play them at home.

I know y'all would not reschedule them again !! EVER !!!!:D :D

MCNEESE72, I APOLOGIZE AGAIN !!!! They was scared i guess !!!:D :D

DAYUM THAT SUCKS DOESN'T IT SUcks !!! :D :D :D :D

PAGING Virgina state ???? :D :D :D :D

STC_60 said:
(ROBIN HARRIS VOICE )

OH I KNOW YOU AINT GOIN DO IT NO MO'!!!!!

Y'all did not want to play them at home.

I know y'all would not reschedule them again !! EVER !!!!:D :D

MCNEESE72, I APOLOGIZE AGAIN !!!! They was scared i guess !!!:D :D

DAYUM THAT SUCKS DOESN'T IT SUcks !!! :D :D :D :D

PAGING Virgina state ???? :D :D :D :D
No we not paging them. Are yall paging NCAT?

Jag-BR said:
No we not paging them. Are yall paging NCAT?

We will be playing Univ. of Houston instead of NC A&T. Some folks just have to wait on playing us.

BTW: Is that virginia state an early game like the allen or lincoln games were? I am just asking since the jaguars are coming off such a strong year last year i thought pete would be looking for challenges instead of confidence builders. THAT WOULD REALLY SUCK TOO I GUESS ?????:D :D :D :D

McNeese72 said:

Doc

Dayum you guys got Buzzard luck...I know you guys want a home game, but what are the feelings about doing a neutral site this year and especially in the future?

MikeBigg said:

We will probably have more fans at the game then U of H...... Let's just wait and see......

Jag-BR said:

I hadn't even planned on bringing up the McNeese-Southern game, I was just commenting on our luck scheduling lately. But the above statement does steam me a little.

Do you realize how the home and home arrangement works? Team A travels to Team B. Team B gets to keep all its revenues for the game and Team A has to pay its travel, hotel, and food expenses for the trip but doesn't get any revenue. Then the next time around Team B travels to Team A. Team A keeps all the revenue for the home game and recoups its expenses for traveling the year before. Team B uses some of its revenue from the year before to pay its traveling, hotel, and food expenses.

Since we were Team A in this scenario, we traveled to Southern and had the traveling, hotel, and food expenses and Southern collected all of the gate, etc. So, now since Southern hasn't (or isn't ???) going to return the game, we are out of the expenses for our trip and Southern gets to keep all their revenue for the game. And, since the hurricane was the reason for the cancellation, so far they aren't paying the normal (which is still too small) $50,000 buyout clause, we usually put in our home and home contracts.

Pretty sweet deal for Southern. Can any of you guys see where this isn't right and might have something to do with the McNeese fans getting a little sour on Southern? The deal just doesn't go down right.

Later,
Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back