Former Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores sues NFL, alleges racism in hiring practices

Check this out from Brian Flores' interview with NPR and Jay Williams. This is a quote from Flores. View: https://www.npr.org/2022/02/03/1077927110/brian-flores-nfl-lawsuit

On problems in NFL hiring practices

"I do think that there are back channel conversations and back channel meetings that are had that oftentimes influence decisions. I think [the Giants hiring process] is a clear example of that. Here's Bill Belichick, his resume speaks for itself. He has influence. It was clear that that decision was made with his influence. That's part of the problem. That needs to change. There needs to be a fair and equal opportunity to interview and showcase your abilities to lead and earn one of those positions."

Hold up partner. Belichick is the only NFL head coach Flores ever worked for and Flores was his secondary and linebackers coach. Flores was never a coordinator. And, I think it's fair to say Belichick's influence helped or got Flores the job in Miami. But, now Belichick is part of the problem? Flores is a damn fool.
I think the issue is that Flores learned through Bill that a job he was a candidate for had been filled before he had a chance to interview for it. That’s sorta of dehumanizing and speaks to the nature of the progress that Flores and others have decried.

I think the issue is that Flores learned through Bill that a job he was a candidate for had been filled before he had a chance to interview for it. That’s sorta of dehumanizing and speaks to the nature of the progress that Flores and others have decried

If not for Belichick, Flores is still a position coach.

What Brian Flores and Hue Jackson claim they were subjected to--essentially being set up (and even paid) to fail--is what Black people in corporate America call "glass cliff" assignments.

A "glass cliff" assignment is one in which a Black leader gets promoted into a role that company leaders do not expect to succeed long-term and that requires borderline heroics. There are several types of glass cliff assignments:

1. Unimportant: The company may feel pressured to create or maintain a specific role, but the role is not important to the company, so it has no power, no resources, and an insufficient team. When the Black leader fails to make progress, they are scapegoated.

2. "Impossible": The challenges are great and the tools are few. The goals attached to the job have a 50/50 (or less) chance of being met. If the Black leader succeeds, they are rewarded with praise (but not always money or opportunity). If they fail, they are labeled as failures and their careers begin a steep decline, while white male leaders can fail multiple times and get opportunities to try again.

3. Controversial: The Black employee is asked to lead a body of work that is inherently difficult and comes with built-in resistance. The work may be counter-culture and come with high reputation risk. If the Black employee doesn't have incredibly strong relationships, they will not be successful, since relationships are often the only force that overcomes culture barriers.

There you have it. I'm tired. But you needed to know this.

We know when it is happening to us, but we often want the benefits of the promotion, so we take it, hoping we will persevere. If you read this and it disturbs you, analyze your decisions through this lens and make sure you're not perpetuating this dangerous phenomenon.

I'm turning over all the soil and digging up the weeds. We can do better than this.

Posted By: Tara Jaye Frank, Equity Activist.
Can be found on LinkedIn
Tara Jaye Frank

#glasscliff #leadership #workplaceculture #businessethics #flores #lawsuit #nfl #Blackleaders #blackhistorymonth #wearethewaymakers #thewaymakersbook #dobetter

Hue Jackson didn’t say he wasn’t paid to lose. He said he wasn’t paid to lose as obvious as Flores was. The journalists are spinning what he said knowing that most of you won’t actually listen to the interview. Go listen to it.

What Brian Flores and Hue Jackson claim they were subjected to--essentially being set up (and even paid) to fail--is what Black people in corporate America call "glass cliff" assignments.

A "glass cliff" assignment is one in which a Black leader gets promoted into a role that company leaders do not expect to succeed long-term and that requires borderline heroics. There are several types of glass cliff assignments:

1. Unimportant: The company may feel pressured to create or maintain a specific role, but the role is not important to the company, so it has no power, no resources, and an insufficient team. When the Black leader fails to make progress, they are scapegoated.

2. "Impossible": The challenges are great and the tools are few. The goals attached to the job have a 50/50 (or less) chance of being met. If the Black leader succeeds, they are rewarded with praise (but not always money or opportunity). If they fail, they are labeled as failures and their careers begin a steep decline, while white male leaders can fail multiple times and get opportunities to try again.

3. Controversial: The Black employee is asked to lead a body of work that is inherently difficult and comes with built-in resistance. The work may be counter-culture and come with high reputation risk. If the Black employee doesn't have incredibly strong relationships, they will not be successful, since relationships are often the only force that overcomes culture barriers.

There you have it. I'm tired. But you needed to know this.

We know when it is happening to us, but we often want the benefits of the promotion, so we take it, hoping we will persevere. If you read this and it disturbs you, analyze your decisions through this lens and make sure you're not perpetuating this dangerous phenomenon.

I'm turning over all the soil and digging up the weeds. We can do better than this.

Posted By: Tara Jaye Frank, Equity Activist.
Can be found on LinkedIn
Tara Jaye Frank

#glasscliff #leadership #workplaceculture #businessethics #flores #lawsuit #nfl #Blackleaders #blackhistorymonth #wearethewaymakers #thewaymakersbook #dobetter

This sounds like the Diversity Officer position.

I wonder, how does Flores feel about Black Americans? Because, he is not a FBA.

One of those "I'm not black I'm _____" people until white supremacy shows him that white people in this country see his black a__ as black just like we do and he got his wake up call just like Whoopi did

One of those "I'm not black I'm _____" people until white supremacy shows him that white people in this country see his black a__ as black just like we do and he got his wake up call just like Whoopi did

Correct. He is in his feelings. Because, he thought that another job was waiting for him. But... We (FBA) know how this system work.

Sounds like Flores' legal team wrote this. Yellow journalism at its finest.

Back