Deion Sanders’ pimping of Jackson State and HBCU culture is finally over

Deion complaining about a packed stadium of 60+ thousand and receipts showing 28 thousand paid. He said they better find out who is stealing...it affects his money.
Oh that's the Earn Your Leisure podcast. I watch them regularly via Youtube. I remember watching that Deion interview when it first came out.

And he wasn't alone. I know JSU wants to win the Celebration Bowl, finish undefeated, and the SWAC wants to end our losing streak to the MEAC, but dayum.

It seems some of you would have Jackie Robinson remain in the Negro League.
No comparison. The great Jackie Robinson didn't peddle a story line about "the culture", about how the worst thing PWI coaches could do was to allow their Black recruits to attend a HBCU homecoming, about leveling the playing field in college football, etc. Jackie Robinson had integrity and was no mercenary faking the funk.

Jemele Hill gets it right in The Atlantic:

"...The question of what successful Black individuals owe the broader Black community is a complex one. Gary Chambers Jr., a civil-rights activist who unsuccessfully sought a U.S. Senate seat in Louisiana this year, tweeted this about the Sanders situation: “At some point we as Black people have to admit that Black flight impacts Black institutions & communities just as much as white flight & then gentrification. Truth is, being Black is so damn complex in America that having these conversations in public is a challenge in itself.”

Black flight played a role in creating some of the conditions that Sanders would later inherit at Jackson State. HBCUs were once the only higher-education option available to most Black people, and for years all the top Black athletes went to HBCUs. Then desegregation, along with white institutions’ recognition that their football teams wouldn’t survive unless they started to recruit Black players, permanently loosened the grip that HBCUs had on the top talent.

Since the beginning, HBCUs have been forced to do more with so much less. Sanders definitely had to contend with that dynamic at Jackson State. He had to endure a massive water crisis in the school’s host city, and this past summer even volunteered to donate half of his salary so that much-needed upgrades for the football facility would be completed before training camp began.

As admirable as that offer was, it highlights the gross inequality that exists in higher education. Earlier this year, Forbes calculated that 18 public HBCUs were underfunded, relative to their predominantly white peer institutions, by nearly $13 billion from 1987 to 2020. Other HBCUs face similar funding disparities.

Given Jackson State’s limited resources, no one was delusional enough to believe that Sanders would follow the path of the legendary HBCU coach Eddie Robinson, who coached at Grambling for 56 years. Sanders just didn’t sound like someone who would bolt after only three seasons. “Oftentimes, you’ve got to be willing to be that guy, willing to risk it, willing to attempt it, willing to secure it to accomplish your goals,” Sanders told The Undefeated heading into his second season at Jackson State. “And I’m more than willing. And I’m more than able. And I’m more than capable.” "

Even that Neely guy jumped into the portal lol
chris farley what the fuck GIF

Back