Could an A&T Situation Happen in SWAC?

Earle

To my knowledge, travel costs is not a problem for SWAC institutions. Unlike the sprawling MEAC, our conference does not criss-cross 7 states from Florida to Delaware and including the Distict of Columbia. Relatively compact and coherent, the greatest stretch in SWAC would be the distance from South Texas to Northern Alabama. And to the credit of SWAC leadership, those Texas schools and those Alabama schools are required to make those travels only in alternating years. But I tend to wonder if a SWAC school or schools could find itself or themselves having outgrown the conference and looking to cast their lots somewhere else?

Right now I would say PV and Bama State

PV - I think if they go to Phase 2 of that stadium expansion to 30K, they are probably gone (Southland). Good facilities

Bama Sate - Win everything in the SWAC and great facilities. Already got the 30K seat stadium so that would be attractive to someone. I can only see them going to the OVC or FBS

To my knowledge, travel costs is not a problem for SWAC institutions. Unlike the sprawling MEAC, our conference does not criss-cross 7 states from Florida to Delaware and including the Distict of Columbia. Relatively compact and coherent, the greatest stretch in SWAC would be the distance from South Texas to Northern Alabama. And to the credit of SWAC leadership, those Texas schools and those Alabama schools are required to make those travels only in alternating years. But I tend to wonder if a SWAC school or schools could find itself or themselves having outgrown the conference and looking to cast their lots somewhere else?
The SWAC schools will have to do better than they're currently doing. All of us.

I think FAMU is really on the CLOCK....(article below)
ASU wins in non- revenue sports. If they were winning in Football and Basketball
Like NCAT(football) I think they would of left already or Would have been making plans to leave.

PVAM- When that TEXAS A&M money stops flowing in....how good will they be??thats the question in the long term..

Last edited:
I think a new FCS conference should be formed called the American Southern Conference (ASC). It would consist of: AAMU, MVSU, Delta State, BCU, Skegee, Fort Valley & Morehouse.
Well that would give you an opening in to the Gulf South 👍

I think FAMU is really on the CLOCK....(article below)
ASU wins in non- revenue sports. If they were winning in Football and Basketball
Like NCAT(football) I think they would of left already or Would have been making plans to leave.

PVAM- When that TEXAS A&M money stops flowing in....how good will they be??thats the question in the long term..

What Texas A&M money?

PV - I think if they go to Phase 2 of that stadium expansion to 30K, they are probably gone (Southland). Good facilities
Bama Sate - Win everything in the SWAC and great facilities. Already got the 30K seat stadium so that would be attractive to someone. I can only see them going to the OVC or FBS
Lmao. Why would they go to the Southland. They would take PV, TSU, SU, and Gram right now if we chose to go.

Why do people think PVAMU is getting a stream of cash from TAMU?
We are apart of the Texas A&M University SYSTEM, which is comprised of 11 Universities.
We are also one three Texas Universities (PVAMU, Tamu & UT) that are eligible for funds from the AUF (Available University Fund) and as part of the TAMU System receives funds from the PUF (Permanent University Fund).

Absolutely no way PV expands that stadium to 30k anytime in the next decade.

I dont think ASU's new stadium seats 30,000. More like 26,500! JSU and SU have larger stadiums.

and say goodbye to most of your non-revenue coaches if that happens - especially when new ADs who only know Southland or whatever conference comes on board. In baseball its a 2-bid league and they benefit from suburban Texas athletes who can't get any aid to go the school of their dreams as the 11.7 helps them. Same with softball, tennis, etc. In track, you have to recruit a certain type of middle and long distance runner along with throwers. Volleyball you got to get access to a legit player, not just athletes. Golf? Bowling? Your best bet is women's basketball.

and you gotta stream damn near every event you play to ESPN standards which means more money in terms of infrastructure and personnel and the return isn't what you think.

Plus, alot of Southland schools are the lone dog in their town so they have access to better sponsorships or there are ties to certain corporations. Also, their top dog schools have at least 15K students so easy student fee money. Texas State dominated the Southland with 30K students but has no presence in the Sun Belt.

If your ready for that, good luck.

Why do people think PVAMU is getting a stream of cash from TAMU?
We are apart of the Texas A&M University SYSTEM, which is comprised of 11 Universities.
We are also one three Texas Universities (PVAMU, Tamu & UT) that are eligible for funds from the AUF (Available University Fund) and as part of the TAMU System receives funds from the PUF (Permanent University Fund).

It could be because someone from PV said, I vaguely remember years back that they were waiting on wads of oil cash from that system.

Several years ago a story in Lake Charles American Press toyed with the idea of luring SU, GSU and JSU into the Southland Conference. They were interested in the SWAC's most successful programs at tne time that had large traveling fanbases.

The Southland Conference has 13 members, with only UNO and A&M-Corpus Christi not having football programs.

If anything, the Texas Southland Conference schools would break away and form their own conference, possibly adding A&M-Commerce if they decide to move up and rejoin schools they were playing years ago.

That's Sam Houston, Houston Baptist, Lamar, Stephen F. Austin, Incarnate Word, Abilene Christian and A&M-Corpus Christi (no football). Would the Texas SLC schools break away, add A&M-Commerce (if they move up) and go after Prairie View and Texas Southern? I know Tarleton is moving up, but I don't think they have a football home.

The other five football playing SLC members are Central Arkansas, Southeastern, Nicholls, McNeese and Northwestern State. Would it be in their best interest to break away from the Texas SLC schools and go after Southern, Grambling, Ark-PB (a UCA natural rival), Jackson State and Alcorn?

Last edited:
The Southland Conference has 13 members, with only UNO and A&M-Corpus Christi not having football programs.

If anything, the Texas Southland Conference schools would break away and form their own conference, possibly adding A&M-Commerce if they decide to move up and rejoin schools they were playing years ago.

That's Sam Houston, Houston Baptist, Lamar, Stephen F. Austin, Incarnate Word, Abilene Christian and A&M-Corpus Christi (no football). Would the Texas SLC schools break away, add A&M-Commerce (if they move up) and go after Prairie View and Texas Southern? I know Tarleton is moving up, but I don't think they have a football home.

The other five football playing SLC members are Central Arkansas, Southeastern, Nicholls, McNeese and Northwestern State. Would it be in their best interest to break away from the Texas SLC schools and go after Southern, Grambling, Ark-PB (a UCA natural rival), Jackson State and Alcorn?

TAMU-S poured a few shillings into tarleton st's athletic coffers and they upgraded/expanded their football venue to fulfill their initial desire to become a D-I athletic school. They opened a new campus in a booming part of FTW (SW-FTW) and are continually growing their attendance coffers.

We've been looking and monitoring the shenanifuckery, for a short duration now.

Or we could make the SWAC dominate again.

We have to hire coaches that not only know the X's and O's of the game, but can develop players as well. This is very important for schools that don't get top recruits, but in order to do that, they must understand the science of the game. Also, in the process of developing players, some might find some players are better suited for a different position than what they were recruited for. SU's QB is talented but need some serious developing.

We have to hire coaches that not only know the X's and O's of the game, but can develop players as well. This is very important for schools that don't get top recruits, but in order to do that, they must understand the science of the game. Also, in the process of developing players, some might find some players are better suited for a different position than what they were recruited for. SU's QB is talented but need some serious developing.

Don't forget about PV's recent case of a WR who couldn't catch a cold but was big, fast, and strong. Coach Dooley and staff switched him to DE his senior year and then wham! 7th round nfl draft. smgdh What happened to him during those previous 3-4 years? Where was the development and recognition of his talents??? smh

Back