Could an A&T Situation Happen in SWAC?

We have to hire coaches that not only know the X's and O's of the game, but can develop players as well. This is very important for schools that don't get top recruits, but in order to do that, they must understand the science of the game. Also, in the process of developing players, some might find some players are better suited for a different position than what they were recruited for. SU's QB is talented but need some serious developing.

J89, I'mmo go in on SU's coaching staff because y'all family and family gotta' know the truth....

Skelton and his lack of passing ability reminds me of one of our recent-past QB prodigies in PV's McCullers. Awesome running ability but couldn't master the offense AND be productive in it w/ regards to the accurate and timely pass attempt. :(

JAG89 summed it up.

We have to hire coaches that not only know the X's and O's of the game, but can develop players as well. This is very important for schools that don't get top recruits, but in order to do that, they must understand the science of the game. Also, in the process of developing players, some might find some players are better suited for a different position than what they were recruited for. SU's QB is talented but need some serious developing.

JAG89 summed it up.

Who are the folks hiring the coaches?

Don't forget about PV's recent case of a WR who couldn't catch a cold but was big, fast, and strong. Coach Dooley and staff switched him to DE his senior year and then wham! 7th round nfl draft. smgdh What happened to him during those previous 3-4 years? Where was the development and recognition of his talents??? smh

Do you think you all need to join the ASC too? LOL

Who are the folks hiring the coaches?

I assume most Boards, but I'm sure there are a few who influence there decisions. As I stated before, the people running our athletic programs are trapped in a tiny box when it comes to innovation.

I assume most Boards, but I'm sure there are a few who influence there decisions. As I stated before, the people running our athletic programs are trapped in a tiny box when it comes to innovation.

Lets take an inventory of the presidents and boards in the SWAC. How many of them are focused on a long term strategy of improvement in athletics at their universities?

Lets take an inventory of the presidents and boards in the SWAC. How many of them are focused on a long term strategy of improvement in athletics at their universities?

Actually IMO, it's a short term fix. Most SWAC schools already have better facilities than most FCS programs. We just need to hire the right people who are well diversed in analyzing a program's dilemmas. People who understand the science in sports, especially Newton's three laws of motion. Right now, we have individuals who can call plays, but when it comes to developing players, they lack in that category. The BIG 12 is beginning to recognize their recruiting dilemma versus other Power 5 Conferences, especially the SEC. Now they think they need to focus more on players development.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PpTE5N83Q50&t=614s

Last edited:
Actually IMO, it a short term fix. Most SWAC schools already have better facilities than most FCS programs. We just need to hire the right people who are well diversed in analyzing a program's dilemmas. People who understand the science in sport, especially Newton's three laws of motion. Right now, we have individuals who can call plays, but when it comes to developing players, they lack in that category. The BIG 12 is beginning to recognize their recruiting dilemma versus other Power 5 Conferences, especially the SEC. Now they think they need to focus more on players development.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PpTE5N83Q50&t=614s
That's the key, player development.

I hope none of us leaves.

F**K Hampton and NCAT.

the HBCU national title isn’t good enough for them, so they’re chasing the FCS title, which means JACK SHIT.

hell FCS fans and alum show more support to the SEC or ACC program in their state. The only FCS schools that have fan and alum support are the SWAC schools and those in the Dakotas and Montana

If they don’t value a Celebration Bowl victory and HBCU national title then to hell with them! They’ll be running back once those white folk in the Big South don’t show up to NCATs campus for any events, and the games are dead.

Hopefully none of us in the SWAC follows their lead and abandons our brothers & sisters

That's painfully obvious. Where are the heads that are capable of rational and logical thought in the (athl) leadership positions?

To them, the rational and logical thought in developing players is not sports related to them and they don't know where to start or who to ask in helping them understand the research and development of a player's mechanics. It might be something small and simple that a person outside of sports can see if tweaked a little could drastrically improve a player's game. But coaches must first recognize those dilemmas and find the right individuals to help players improve their mechanics. I'm not asking our coaches to be rocket scientists, but at least they need to understand how to use whatever resources available to gain ANY advantage against their foes. But as of now, SWAC coaches are operating in a tiny box and they don't need no one's help when it comes to their sport.

Last edited:
I am starting a goFUND Because I feel like Odums will be with the BS this year.. If he does not win the SWAC.. He needs to go....

I am starting a goFUND Because I feel like Odums will be with the BS this year.. If he does not win the SWAC.. He needs to go....

IMO, he definitely has a lazy attitude when it comes to player development.

J89, I'mmo go in on SU's coaching staff because y'all family and family gotta' know the truth....

Skelton and his lack of passing ability reminds me of one of our recent-past QB prodigies in PV's McCullers. Awesome running ability but couldn't master the offense AND be productive in it w/ regards to the accurate and timely pass attempt. :(
Jamel Holloway and plenty other QB’s that won championships weren’t accurate either. Instead of calling 5 wide and trying to make him a passer, call plays to fit his game. It was no reason for SU to pas that much in the SWAC Championship when they couldn’t stop the run. I don’t remember us running the option.

Why would you add seats to join the Southland?
Right now I would say PV and Bama State

PV - I think if they go to Phase 2 of that stadium expansion to 30K, they are probably gone (Southland). Good facilities
Bama Sate - Win everything in the SWAC and great facilities. Already got the 30K seat stadium so that would be attractive to someone. I can only see them going to the OVC or FBS

Nearly every school, if not every school in the swac has either looked or considered looking at some point or another
I hope none of us leaves.

F**K Hampton and NCAT.

the HBCU national title isn’t good enough for them, so they’re chasing the FCS title, which means JACK SHIT.

hell FCS fans and alum show more support to the SEC or ACC program in their state. The only FCS schools that have fan and alum support are the SWAC schools and those in the Dakotas and Montana

If they don’t value a Celebration Bowl victory and HBCU national title then to hell with them! They’ll be running back once those white folk in the Big South don’t show up to NCATs campus for any events, and the games are dead.

Hopefully none of us in the SWAC follows their lead and abandons our brothers & sisters

A&T has by far when it comes to athletics, the best department out there right now. That includes a nationally ranked track team. Enrollment trending upwards, etc etc...but they shouldnt consider anything other than staying in the MEAC, thats the logic it seems. The folks running that athletic department have outgrown the MEAC and has beaten down the SWAC, but apparently they don't know what they're doing. Yall wildin.

I don’t agree. Our only issue was play calling.

I think one of our biggest issues in certain games was turnovers (The SCG & McNeese games come to mind....still hot as fish grease). I believe another is the development of our QB (hard to argue about that). Another issue was pass defense though you could see a little improvement in the latter part of the season (and we took a big hit with 2 veteran DB(s) not being able to play this season). I say the aforementioned because we had more than 1 issue but I will stop here. If our coach is smart, he will take a page from Ogeron and find some coaches that are good and specialize in areas where he is deficient, get out of their way but hold them accountable.

Back