Birmingham Southern to close down in May

Apparently Miles and Birmingham-Southern could not agree on price for the campus and BSC is now looking nationally for a buyer. This means AAMU may have another run at the campus if it is still interested. But it will have to make a better offer.

Last edited:
I wonder if this is a good news in the longer run for Miles, but I do wonder why not take the money that they were planning to use for bid for the BSC campus to upgrade their campus at its' current location.

Subscribe to the HBCU Sports Newsletter

* indicates required
I wonder if this is a good news in the longer run for Miles, but I do wonder why not take the money that they were planning to use for bid for the BSC campus to upgrade their campus at its' current location.
Miles is landlocked and hard to get to in a declining city. BSC’s campus is larger and very visible is next to a major interstate exit, its prime real estate.

They may not have any choice but to improve the existing campus. The cost of either building new academic buildings or renovating old ones will be high and time consuming.

Let these folks go. Dont extend a handout to a snake that already deals in treachery. If they have made it clear they dont want A&M to buy them, and now the deal with Miles falls through--it should reveal their true motives!

Let them implode and allow the circumstanced to work in your favor. Plus it seems like the Most High is doing some work! When its time to move forward, it will be revealed.

Conservative right wing white folks forever and a day attempt to beat and deal with black people and institutions uneven handed. I recommend telling them stick it up their ssa. Propose a fair price if you really want it and be strong enough to walk away if they don’t agree.

Conservative right wing white folks forever and a day attempt to beat and deal with black people and institutions uneven handed. I recommend telling them stick it up their ssa. Propose a fair price if you really want it and be strong enough to walk away if they don’t agree.
A&M did make a very low offer..I surmise that Miles' offer was somewhat higher, but not high enough. If no one offers to buy it after this national search, I believe they will be open to another, higher A&M bid. After all, BSC's creditors want it sold so they can get their loan money back.
Some alumni did not want a public university to buy it with state money because they were upset that the state did not loan them the money to keep operating. Some openly cheered for Miles. But the bottom line is the property has to be sold to pay off the debts. As time goes along, this pressure to sell will limit their option of who they can wait on to buy it.

A&M did make a very low offer..I surmise that Miles' offer was somewhat higher, but not high enough. If no one offers to buy it after this national search, I believe they will be open to another, higher A&M bid. After all, BSC's creditors want it sold so they can get their loan money back.
Some alumni did not want a public university to buy it with state money because they were upset that the state did not loan them the money to keep operating. Some openly cheered for Miles. But the bottom line is the property has to be sold to pay off the debts. As time goes along, this pressure to sell will limit their option of who they can wait on to buy it.

Please post the link for the Fair Market Value.

I doubt if there is any public link for it. BSC's president it was appraised at 55 million, which did not include the apartments on the campus. He placed the value of the entire campus at 75 million.

That 75M is a subjective figure. With this overpriced market anything over 55M is legal robbery. If I was Miles and they come running back, I would tell them that the offer is no longer on the table and counter with a lower number.

“Birmingham-Southern’s campus, buildings and equipment had a roughly $65 million value last year, according to an audit and tax records the college filed with the IRS.”

Last edited:
That 75M is a subjective figure. With this overpriced market anything over 55M is legal robbery. If I was Miles and they come running back, I would tell them that the offer is no longer on the table and counter with a lower number.

“Birmingham-Southern’s campus, buildings and equipment had a roughly $65 million value last year, according to an audit and tax records the college filed with the IRS.”
Property, especially real estate, is not a liquid asset, so generally there is no set value. It is not like stocks, bonds or mutual funds where there are active trading markets and you can know the value from day to day. Real estate is really worth only as much as someone will pay for it.

Property, especially real estate, is not a liquid asset, so generally there is no set value. It is not like stocks, bonds or mutual funds where there are active trading markets and you can know the value from day to day. Real estate is really worth only as much as someone will pay for it.

I’ll agree with your last statement. I would be surprised if someone bids more than Miles. Stranger things have happened though. (Of course real estate isn’t a liquid asset…..)

Last edited:
I saw a post about this on FB today.
Even the white folks say, that BSU doesn't wan't AAMU to buy them, and most say they should've taken A&Ms money.
them racist white folks don't want A&M to have it...I knew that all along! BSC is all about white supremacy...they will let that property turn to a wasteland before they let A&M get that prime real estate off the interstate!

Subscribe to the HBCU Sports Newsletter

* indicates required
It would be interesting to see if BSC ends up like St. Paul campus, with the ownership being a Chinese shell company that is only using the campus as a physical address without doing anything with the property.

I want our main campus to reach 10k+...we not done in Normal yet!
It can't accommodate that many on campus yet. Only freshmen and sophomores are guaranteed on-campus housing. The rest has to stay in off-campus apartments leased by the university. There is talk of building a new dorm, but more than one would be required to house the 8000k, which is the immediate target number.

It can't accommodate that many on campus yet. Only freshmen and sophomores are guaranteed on-campus housing. The rest has to stay in off-campus apartments leased by the university. There is talk of building a new dorm, but more than one would be required to house the 8000k, which is the immediate target number.
The interest rate raise has hurt new construction by raising the cost. In the short term, leasing off campus apartments is probably a better deal financially. Hopefully the rates will drop over the next couple of years.

The interest rate raise has hurt new construction by raising the cost. In the short term, leasing off campus apartments is probably a better deal financially. Hopefully the rates will drop over the next couple of years.
We may not be able to wait on any interest rate decline because the rental rates in Huntsville are so high and still climbing due to population growth. In time, we will have to house students on campus or it will be to expensive to go to school there.

Last edited:
Back