Bama State / Southern Shocker ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Status
Not open for further replies.
spivery is a pretty good coach. not great. he is gonna run his system come hell or high water. that's good for southern for the next few years considering you have big men. you'll finish near the top of the swac for at least the next 2 seasons. there are 3 draw backs to spivery imo. one. he had trouble recruiting guys to fit his system, namely big men. that may change in LA. In alabama there are 2 sec schools and a CUSA team. With only LSU and no other big time state schools he might have a chance. two, he runs his system come hell or high water, even if he doesn't have the big men his system requires. asu had some moderate (just above .500) sucess because lewis was able to get them to run just a little bit. the a&m game this year was a throw back to the oliver days. three. he doesn't adapt to his opponents style of play. if he's playing a team with the same style of play but better players, SU will get it's head bashed in. he wont run even if the other team is wearing cement boots. the thing that spivery does great is defense. that's it. doesn't matter what players you have Spivery has shut down defense. that's good enough to win the swac most years. as well, when he got to bama state they were on probation, had reduced scholarships and he had a lot of fixin' to do. He did a good job rebuilding the program and getting it back on solid footing. southern will always be competitive with him as head coach , but i don't know if he has it in him to take any program to national prominance. He once said in an interview that he'd be happy going to the ncaa tourney every other year. If you're like me, I want to be there every year and I'm trying to be there when they win the whole thing and he's talking about just getting in every other year!
as for lewis jackson, hopefully they'll hire him. they probably named proctor interim head coach on spivery recommendation. proctor has been loyal to spivery and spivery had to give him a chance to be a head coach. if lewis is named the new coach, proctor will probably head to southern. if lewis has learned the lessons of spivery he'll be good. defense wins swac championships. offense fills the arena and helps you recruit good players.
:lecture:

hehateme said:
I am just an avid Southernite that is disgusted with this situation. Have you never been disgusted with something at Southern to the point where I am at this time? I wish the new coach well, but he won't do well if he received what Coach Grant got on the "Yard."
Hey Micheal,,walk away like a man...Show some class......not your a_ _..

After watching Francis pick Spivery apart in the SWAC Tournament with the SWAC's smallest team.....it's hard to say if he's head and shoulders with his Xs and Os...

all you got to do is defend the paint, collapse on the guards on the perimeter...you beat them

Beating Spivery is all about not getting baited into playing a half-court game, and hitting your shots.

A&M worked it to perfection in the championship game.

Doing those things successfully by A&M, along with good pressure caused us to fall apart in Spivery's last game as ASU coach. :smh:

The Bama St and AAMU game in Montgomery was one of the most exciting games I have seen between the two... BOTH teams played uptempo the entire game... the score was in the 90s and a close game. I HEARD that Spivery let ASU run since they had a big recruiting weekend that game and alot of recruits were there. Hopefully we will see more ASU-AAMU games like that in the future.

the band fan said:
After watching Francis pick Spivery apart in the SWAC Tournament with the SWAC's smallest team.....it's hard to say if he's head and shoulders with his Xs and Os...

all you got to do is defend the paint, collapse on the guards on the perimeter...you beat them

I was at that game also...I woudnt say Francis picked Spivery apart... PV just had a VERY hot shooter that game that RARELY missed. PV looked like they werent even running plays and playing street ball... Me and Noise Talka sat together that game and both said the same thing.

JR said:
Welcome to the board Coach Grant

He just might be adding his two cents worth. It appears that a series of musical chairs just may be about to occur. Coach Grant may find his way into the coach's office of Valley or Ala State by the time all the smoke clears. Wierd-er things have happened.....especially since Coach Whitney is thinking about putting on Purple and Gold once again and Coach Strib is thinking about going with strictly maroon (I guess that's what Tougaloo's color is).

I'll be tuning in for more coaching carousel in the near future.

Adjustments were made in the second half that shut down PV perimeter game. Plus the shooter went cold and Bama State won the game. It was a classic type game that we refer to as "Spivery Ball". "Spivery Ball" is boring but effective.

Dahill, I couldn't believe my eyes at the State/A&M game in Montgomery. I did not think that Spivery would play to A&M advantage. I believe Pettaway and the Dawgs were surprise at the tempo. But a very enjoyable game for fans which Bama State loss because they played away from their style.

J C said:
Adjustments were made in the second half that shut down PV perimeter game. Plus the shooter went cold and Bama State won the game. It was a classic type game that we refer to as "Spivery Ball". "Spivery Ball" is boring but effective.

Dahill, I couldn't believe my eyes at the State/A&M game in Montgomery. I did not think that Spivery would play to A&M advantage. I believe Pettaway and the Dawgs were surprise at the tempo. But a very enjoyable game for fans which Bama State loss because they played away from their style.

on Pettaways tv show he said he was VERY SURPRISED and that AAMU had not prepared for a "running" Bama St the whole week... so in effect Bama St had an advantage... Pettaway had to change the whole gamplan during the game. I wouldnt say that Bama St lost because they were away from their style, they had the game won in the last 30 seconds but had a brain freeze. They were being too protective and not aggressive and they let the game slip away. ALso Rickey Ricketts hit a "lucky" 3 point shot lol to take it into OT.

As a Jag alum, I'm going to put my two cents in here.

When I llok at some of these posts from some of my own brothers, as well as others, it seems like we forgot the most important thing about SU .... we want to WIN!

Tommy Green and Ben Jobe (the 2nd time) wanted to play run and gun too if you guys remember. I don't see any SWAC titles from those two periods of time. One tournament final against J-State and we lost because of sorry, shoddy defense.

Fast forward to Grant. Different offensive style that keeps us in games, but again, NO DEFENSE. Look at this past year. People hit threes all over us ... Rush at Grambling, Ricketts at AAMU, Golden at ASU, and the horrible two games at Valley and Alcorn .... NO DEFENSE.

Spivery brings that and if what some people said about his game plan is right (big men, slow down), SU has that right now, especially if the guys who signed with us continue to come for next year. While we are used to r n g, defense wins championships!

Look at football this year .... Bama State's defense shut down SU when necessary. Baseball .... SU's defense just throttled #8 LSU. If we have that type of defense last year, we win the SWAC, especially with the way we started.

I'm going on record as agreeing with this hire because if Pete Richardson all of a sudden switched to UAPB's football game plan and still won, I don't think you would hear a peep out of SU fans. The same holds true and he should be able to recruit a hell of a lot better than Ohio man.

SU Jag 79 said:
As a Jag alum, I'm going to put my two cents in here.

When I llok at some of these posts from some of my own brothers, as well as others, it seems like we forgot the most important thing about SU .... we want to WIN!

ah ah SU Jag 79 :D Will you please meet me in the forum?:wavey:

RUN & GUn doesnt actually mean NO DEFENSE is played.... AAMU has always played a run & gun since I can remember... If your coaching staff knows how to put a defensive scheme toghether to go with the run & gun you can be dangerous. I have watched AAMU practice and the entire first week of practice was dedicated to the full court press. It was so intense that it gave me a whole new appreciation for our coaching staff. That is one of the reasons we usually lead the conference in steals and we have had the NATIONS leading player in steals 3 of the last 5 years (Obbie twice and Desmond Cambrige once).

DAHILL said:
RUN & GUn doesnt actually mean NO DEFENSE is played.... AAMU has always played a run & gun since I can remember... If your coaching staff knows how to put a defensive scheme toghether to go with the run & gun you can be dangerous. I have watched AAMU practice and the entire first week of practice was dedicated to the full court press. It was so intense that it gave me a whole new appreciation for our coaching staff. That is one of the reasons we usually lead the conference in steals and we have had the NATIONS leading player in steals 3 of the last 5 years (Obbie twice and Desmond Cambrige once).

I like the style of basketball AAMU plays. I would love to see S.U. play that type of ball with better athletes. I looked at S.U. style of ball against USC this year and was "point blank" embarrassed. I firmly believe that SWAC schools can get better athletes and need to do a better job of recruiting and selling the school. You will never get good athletes with low self esteem. I know that many will disagree. And I will agree to disagree. I said it last year and am saying it again. We can do BETTER!

JROCK said:
I like the style of basketball AAMU plays.

I do too. They play the way Bama State used to play YEARS AGO. And I agree with DAHILL when he says that a run-n-gun style does not mean you are not playing solid defense. In fact, running sets up the full court defense, and vice versa. Also, its a misnomer (sp) that fast paced basketball is somehow "out of control". Its not if you know how to coach it. And no one is saying that you all of a sudden have to turn into UNLV's "Runnin' Rebs" of the early 90's, or the Lakers' "Showtime" of the mid 80's, we just don't want to see what looks like a bad private high school offense.

SPORTS_spivery.jpg

It was just time to move on.

That was the major reasoning behind now former Alabama State head basketball coach Rob Spivery's decision to leave for Southwestern Athletic Conference rival Southern University.

Spivery was formally introduced as the Jaguars' new head coach at a news conference in Baton Rouge on Thursday afternoon.

After a successful nine-year tenure at ASU, Spivery said there just wasn't much left for him to do for the Hornets.

"What I do is rebuild programs," Spivery said in a phone interview late Thursday night. "That's what I've done everywhere I've been. We took over a program in bad shape at ASU and turned it around. It's in good shape, possibly the best shape it's ever been in. We had accomplished what we set out to do. It was simply time to go."

Spivery said that's exactly what he told ASU president Joe Lee in a meeting earlier this week.

"There was no animosity whatsoever," Spivery said. "I'm leaving ASU the only way I would leave and that's on good terms. I informed Dr. Lee of my decision a couple of days ago and told him the reasons why. He understood. I've had a great relationship with the administration, the fans and the university as a whole.

"I couldn't leave if those relationships were damaged."

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/NEWSV5/storyV5spivery6o.htm

I think SU will see the benefits of Spivery as HC. Just look at what he's done for the Hornets over the past five or six seasons. Though he may have been coaching our arch rivals, none of us ever debated whether or not he's a good coach...he's got the wins and record to show for it!

Y'all could have done a whole lot worse!

J C said:
"Spivery Ball" is boring but effective.

Yep. :nod:

I'm a fundamentalist methodical believer. There's a mental aspect of wearing an opponent down or getting them rattled that I like to see. Spivery's brand of ball does that (from what I can tell). Slow and methodical.

Good luck SU!

ps
Dammit BG! :mad: Let Jag79 have his say in this open forum brah. :D lol We wanna' hear it ALLLLLLLLLLLLL. ;)

Panthro said:
Yep. :nod:

Good luck SU!

ps
Dammit BG! :mad: Let Jag79 have his say in this open forum brah. :D lol We wanna' hear it ALLLLLLLLLLLLL. ;)

I'm gonna call the cops on you if you do another SWACPAGE drive by. :smash: :flamethro

Dahill..obviously you didn't see the same game

PV was running high low sets and freeing the shooter up and he was killing ASU..I'm not going to get into plays and much but Spivery was outcoached...

In 2003, he was really exposed by Francis....

Spivery has proven he can keep a consistent program running without the bells and whistles....will it sell tickets? who knows....want a consistent power? you got the guy...

you also though got to look at the development of his players.....outside of Pettway, his post players didn't exactly post back to the basket like you wanted. That's what I want to see out of coaches now, can they coach post play.

my thing is, he was the guy before anyone else got a chance to be interviewed...if that Hill fellow is calling the shots already, what does that mean?

Here's the bottom line: Spivery's style of play is boring. But it's boring all the way to the tournament championship game and possibly the NCAA Tournament.

It's not all about big men and inside domination on offense. In fact, Spivery has said many, many times that the most important person on the floor for his teams is the point guard. Look at the two times he won the SWAC. He had great PGs both years.

He's going to play an inside-out game, but he can accomplish it with subpar talent on the inside. That's because he's good at coaching centers and forwards to play in his system. Kevin Spicer, for example, probably wouldn't have started on several teams in the SWAC. But under Spivery, in his system, Spicer was an all-tournament selection.

There's not a team in the SWAC that can consistently get the caliber of players required to employ a run-and-gun offense, like AAMU's. Don't get me wrong, teams using that philosophy will have some success on occassion and even slip up and win a few games during a down year. But overall, the shooters just aren't there to play that style and be successful year in and year out. Also, that style tends to get you beat come tournament time. It's tough to shoot well enough to win three straight games against decent competition.

But what will win on a consistent basis is a style which focuses on defense, ball control, ball handling and rebounding. That's Spivery's system. It'll be painfully boring at times. But it'll be a winner.

TheReporter said:
There's not a team in the SWAC that can consistently get the caliber of players required to employ a run-and-gun offense
The thing is, there is a medium between a run and gun offense and a ball control, deliberate offense.

When a SWAC coach comes along and figure that out, he'll run circles around the others.

Spivery's style is effective in the SWAC mainly because of the other coaches. :retard:
The team he fielded last season was soooo ripe for the taking, but it seems that Pettaway was the only one who could see the obvious weakness on that team. I guess the other coaches couldn't see it. :xeye:

we saw but when you have no height...what can you expect?

wait...Ronnie HS Courtney came to the Acadome and knocked you all out....

mighty hornet said:
The thing is, there is a medium between a run and gun offense and a ball control, deliberate offense.

When a SWAC coach comes along and figure that out, he'll run circles around the others.

Spivery's style is effective in the SWAC mainly because of the other coaches. :retard:
The team he fielded last season was soooo ripe for the taking, but it seems that Pettaway was the only one who could see the obvious weakness on that team. I guess the other coaches couldn't see it. :xeye:
I saw it. Yall had no outside shooters at all. And Micheal Grant refused to play zone :angry: :angry: . Plus when you were pressed you turned the ball over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back