Bama State / Southern Shocker ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robber said:
Maybe Spivery played that brand of ball because of what he had to work with.
The flip side of that is that he attracted the type of player he did because of the brand of ball he played. Especially, considering the length of time he was at State and the fact that his style remained the same. If he was interested in changing it, he had more than enough time to do it.
Sad to say but a lot of recruits were/are turned off by it.

One thing y'all haven't said about Spivery is, "he can't coach." Nobody has posted that because he can coach his ass off.
I wouldn't go so far as to say all that, but what I will say is that Spivery is smart enough to realize some simple things about bball. Apparently, a whole lot of coaches in the SWAC aint realized it yet. I would say that makes Spivery smarter than most of the SWAC coaches (is that really saying a lot?), but I would stop short of endorsing that he can coach his ass off.

Robber said:
Maybe Spivery played that brand of ball because of what he had to work with.

Robber, I can assure you that that is not the case. Spivery has had great talent over the years, including shooters, but he did not allow them to play their game. Also, you might be able to say that for the first year or two, but after NINE YEARS ?!?!? If he didn't have anything to work with, its his fault.

Maybe he'll adapt to the talent at Southern and open it up a bit.

Ain't gonna happen. And if Southern folks are thinking that, then they are in for a rude awakening.

One thing y'all haven't said about Spivery is, "he can't coach." Nobody has posted that because he can coach his ass off.

I agree, he's a good coach, but his assistant Lewis Jackson, just might be a better coach. Hopefully, we'll see.

It seems to me that SU wants a winner. At least in the SWAC, Spivery is a winner.

Again, I agree, but will he have the support and facilities at Southern that he had a Bama State? Time will tell.

:tup:

Rob Spivery's record at ASU (I wonder how many of those losses were to AAMU)

Overall record, 20 years

304-281
ASU record, 9 years

129-136
Last 5 years at ASU

86-67 overall, 60-30 in SWAC, two NCAA tournament appearances
Year-by-year records at ASU

1996-97 -- 8-21
1997-98 -- 11-17
1998-99 -- 11-16
1999-2000 -- 13-15
2000-01 -- 22-9*
2001-02 -- 19-13
2002-03 -- 14-15
2003-04 -- 16-15*
2004-05 -- 15-15

Deuce said:
I agree, he's a good coach, but his assistant Lewis Jackson, just might be a better coach.
Just from watching the sidelines, it appeared that Jackson was doing a whole lot of the coaching already.

lol@Cee Dog :lol:
Take away this year and Spivery had started to whoop Pettaway.
:D

STRAWDOG said:
Dude..........
You seem to have an awfully inflated opinion of yourself and your school. "L", this is not the first time that Sucks went to the other SWAC member schools for a knowledgeable WINNING Coach who is capable of WINNING consistently. They did the same thing when they came on bended knee to AAMU for Ben Jobe. They had Bates an AAMU graduste. Now it seems that they are looking to ALABAMA A&M/ALABAMA STATE to bail dat arse out again. Don't try to sell that snit about y'all don't want a coach from ALABAMA A&M/STATE.........'CAUSE IT's quite OBVIOUS THAT Y'all DO! :tdown:

Calm down dude. When we first hired Ben Jobe, I was in school and AAMU was not in the SWAC if I recall my history correctly. I wish you folks stop trying to tell us SU folks how to feel about how we do business. If we aint happy and think we deserve better then that is on us. We have the right to feel like we are all that. Our basketball program while down now does have a storied history. Even before Jobe. Sheesh.

mighty hornet said:
Just from watching the sidelines, it appeared that Jackson was doing a whole lot of the coaching already.

lol@Cee Dog :lol:
Take away this year and Spivery had started to whoop Pettaway.
:D

Hey MH, I got a question. Do you think Spivery will bring Jackson along with him? Didn't ASU appoint someone else to be interim coach now?

Don't know, but I would doubt it (considering Jackson's fam is in Montgomery (and at ASU :lol: ) and he is an ASU Legend and if you see the comments from the players, they are already lobbying for Jackson

Yeah, there is somebody else appointed as interim though

JR said:
Hey MH, I got a question. Do you think Spivery will bring Jackson along with him? Didn't ASU appoint someone else to be interim coach now?

Same thought occured to me. But, maybe State is using the "interim will not be the permanent coach" style of announcing. I like Jackson. He's a good recruiter plus his relative youth and the Acadome would make State very attractive for some good talent.

JR said:
That may be tough seeing that his wife is our womens basketball coach.

JR said:

That's an interesting question to raise. It's amazing that our local paper didn't report that Joe Proctor is the interim coach at ASU right now. Even though Lew Jack is a great assistant, IMO if the oppurtunity presents itself for the Head coaching position, then Jackson would probably jump on it. It would be a great scenario for a husband/wife duo to be coaching the same sport on a D-1AA level. Does anybody know if that's been done on any level in the NCAA? If not then this story would be pretty interesting on a national scale.

BNGguy said:
It would be a great scenario for a husband/wife duo to be coaching the same sport on a D-1AA level. Does anybody know if that's been done on any level in the NCAA? If not then this story would be pretty interesting on a national scale.

D-1AA classification is only used in football, all others sports are Div-1.

BgJag said:
D-1AA classification is only used in football, all others sports are Div-1.[/QUOTE

I knew that! Thanks for pointing that out. Just got a little carried away with typing so fast. :ebrow:

BNGguy said:
It's amazing that our local paper didn't report that Joe Proctor is the interim coach at ASU right now. Even though Lew Jack is a great assistant, IMO if the oppurtunity presents itself for the Head coaching position, then Jackson would probably jump on it. It would be a great scenario for a husband/wife duo to be coaching the same sport on a D-1AA level. Does anybody know if that's been done on any level in the NCAA? If not then this story would be pretty interesting on a national scale.

They did BNG:

.....ASU athletic director Patrick Carter, who attended Wednesday's meeting, told the team that assistant coach Joe Proctor would take over as the interim head coach while a replacement was sought.

BTW, the rest of this post looks real familiar. :lol: :lol: :lol:

CEE DOG said:
Rob Spivery's record at ASU (I wonder how many of those losses were to AAMU)

Overall record, 20 years

304-281

They reported his record to be 281-289 last night on wafb

JR said:
:rolleyes: :bawling: :mrt: :xeye: and finally :sleep2:

Welcome to the board Coach Grant :wavey: :lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Panthro said:
I prefer the "princeton" type bball to the "run&gun" style. Not exciting (unless you get off on back-door cuts like I do and great outside and great inside play/rebounding/etc.) but it's effective (for the "W").

How many championships does Princeton (or any other slow down type teams) have?

JR said:
Our basketball program while down now does have a storied history.

Agreed, but this storied history does not leave the doors of the FG Clark Activity Center. Carry on...

SU should have winning seasons off Baton Rouge high school talent alone.

GSUperTiger said:
JR said:
Our basketball program while down now does have a storied history.

Agreed, but this storied history does not leave the doors of the FG Clark Activity Center. Carry on...

SU should have winning seasons off Baton Rouge high school talent alone.

:rolleyes: I see you had your full serving of Hateraid this morning.... :rolleyes:

SUperJag96 said:
:rolleyes: I see you had your full serving of Hateraid this morning.... :rolleyes:

Has Qrambling ever been to the NCAA Big Dance? Them and one others school can claim that distinction. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by JROCK
Spivey's hypocritical posterior. How dare that drunk act like he is beyond reproach.
He is a drunk.
oh well, we see how JROCK feels about SU's new coach.

:emlaugh::emlaugh::emlaugh::emlaugh:

man..yall spending $120K on a SWAC Coach who's system everyone knows.....there are some folks on SU's campus (hell, athletic department) who could've done something with the EXTRA $30 grand they are spending.

mighty hornet said:
oh well, we see how JROCK feels about SU's new coach.

You are wrong for digging up that one.

:lmao:

BgJag said:
Three guesses who this poster is?:lmao:

I am just an avid Southernite that is disgusted with this situation. Have you never been disgusted with something at Southern to the point where I am at this time? I wish the new coach well, but he won't do well if he received what Coach Grant got on the "Yard."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back