Bama State / Southern Shocker ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Status
Not open for further replies.
BgJag said:
He'll get two years too before we get it right.
I don't understand why would they hire him. If the fans didn't like Grant walking the ball up the court why would you hire someone who is also gonna walk the ball up the court. :angry: But I guess if he wins I will have to get use to his style. :swink:

I seriously wonder if SU tried to contact Pettaway... Maybe that was one of the reasons that AD Martin announced a contract extension... (never recall a extension for Pettaway ever being announced lol) SU took Jobe from AAMU and Pettaway basically learned all he knows from Jobe since he was his top assistant.

BIg step up for him, a step backward for us. I am already organizing the Boo birds for the 2 nd time he walks the ball up the court when we could be running.

Lewis said:
BIg step up for him, a step backward for us. I am already organizing the Boo birds for the 2 nd time he walks the ball up the court when we could be running.
and they wonder why folks don't support the MENS basketball program like they use to.

Lewis said:

LOL @ Lewis, I hope he doesn't get a long term contract because we'll have to reassign him too before it's up. The asistant A.D. job will be vacant again this time next year. :headphone :shh:

BgJag said:
LOL @ Lewis, I hope he doesn't get a long term contract because we'll have to reassign him too before it's up. The asistant A.D. job will be vacant again this time next year. :headphone :shh:

Yall are rough! :lol:

:lmao:

BgJag said:
I don't think you want him doing that either :emlaugh:.

in Texas, you got to wait 15 days to fill the job once it posts......even if you got your candidate you got to wait until the time is up unless it's an interim who's on staff already....I guess it's different in Louisiana.

Spivery was making $100K? damn.....

who's making these bright decisions for the Jags? Sounds like Spivery's deal was done during the season to make such a fast move....

you could've got Francis for half that and he would be deadly with the resources...

Alabama State men's basketball coach Rob Spivery said Wednesday that he has accepted the head coaching position at Southern University.

Spivery, who coached the Hornets for nine seasons, told his players about his departure during a team meeting Wednesday afternoon.

"He just said that it was something he had to do," ASU sophomore forward Herbert Warren told the Montgomery Advertiser. "I think it was a pretty big surprise for everybody. He said there were a couple of reasons - that it was the best thing for him right now, and it was the best thing for his family. That's how it goes."

Spivery led the Hornets to two NCAA tournaments during his tenure as coach. The Hornets, under his guidance, knocked Southern out of the SWAC tournament the past two years.

Spivery will replace Michael Grant at Southern, in Baton Rouge, La. Grant was fired after two consecutive losing seasons.

ASU officials said assistant coach Joe Proctor will serve as interim head coach for the Hornets.

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050504/APS/505041361

the band fan said:
in Texas, you got to wait 15 days to fill the job once it posts......even if you got your candidate you got to wait until the time is up unless it's an interim who's on staff already....I guess it's different in Louisiana.

Spivery was making $100K? damn.....

who's making these bright decisions for the Jags? Sounds like Spivery's deal was done during the season to make such a fast move....

you could've got Francis for half that and he would be deadly with the resources...

:lol:

I knew your 2 cents was coming soon. :lol: Better worry about handling Valley in the first round on the diamond (I will be pulling for you all as strange as that may seem. :lol: )

enswaclopedia said:
I don't think you want him doing that either :emlaugh:.

don't you know by now anything with asistant in front of it is a figurehead position. You just show up and do what you're told to do until your contract expires. :shh: :swink:

I just hope Spivery can get fans to come to watch a game and eat cold food from the concession stand that did not have the schools support? I hope he can recruit players to a "University" that has their workout facilities in a trailer? I hope he is prepared run his own promotion campaign for his sport. Alas, how many years will it take Spivery to turn around five years worth of losing?

I can go on and on, but I just want everyone out in the "Jaguar Football Nation" to realize that Coach Michael Grant did the best with what was given to him. What he did not receive was support, facilities, Cheerleaders, a pep band, good quality concessions, a media presence in Baton Rouge, support from the Chancellor, and last but not least support from the SU Board. Great Job Southern you screwed another one. It will take another five years to rebuild the little progress that Coach Grant built.

If being a good coach means staying and accepting the aforementioned conditions then that sounds like foolishness to me. THE DEFINITION OF A FOOL IS SOMEONE WHO DOES SOMETHING REPEATEDLY THE SAME WAY AND EXPECTS DIFFERENT RESULTS. SOUTHERN HAS DONE IT AGAIN! They did the same thing that they did with the last five coaches. Hired someone to turn it around and then fired them before they could recruit people that fit their style of play. THEN YOU HIRE A NEW GUY THAT TOOK NINE YEARS TO TURN HIS TEAM AROUND. NINE YEARS!!! HOW MANY WILL HE ACTUALLY GET AT SOUTHERN IS ANOTHER QUESTION. I wonder what was asked of the new coach in his interview.

SU: Coach would you like to coach at Southern?

Coach: I think it would be an excellent opportunity for me to further my career at an instution such as yours.

SU Board: What would you do to enhance the program?

Coach: I would bring in top recruits with the number of scholarships available to me by the NCAA.

SU: If you are going into your last year of your contract and with the option to extend, we finished messing over the football coach that has been here for twelve years, and we have not expressed interest in keeping you around? Would you if contacted seek consistency in your life?

Coach: I am committed to this university and will be a loyal employee. Just so long as you give me that same loyalty and trust. Trust that I will not do or say anything that will bring discredit to the university. However, I would go on an interview (that you say I can go on) and express interest in the job. I will tell them what I can do to help that program. Just as I did in the interview for the job that I have been appointed.

Coach: Are you going to ever fix the mini-dome and put a weight room together in an actual building?

SU: As soon as we collect enough donations from the Jaguar Nation.

y'all raise up offa' my boy <b>hehateSU</b>. lol

Seriously, I actually prefer Spivery's approach. The question is does he have the right players for the scheme he wants to implement? I prefer the "princeton" type bball to the "run&gun" style. Not exciting (unless you get off on back-door cuts like I do and great outside and great inside play/rebounding/etc.) but it's effective (for the "W").

Hope it turns out well for ya' SU.

hehateme said:
I just hope Spivery can get fans to come to watch a game and eat cold food from the concession stand that did not have the schools support? I hope he can recruit players to a "University" that has their workout facilities in a trailer? I hope he is prepared run his own promotion campaign for his sport. Alas, how many years will it take Spivery to turn around five years worth of losing?

I can go on and on, but I just want everyone out in the "Jaguar Football Nation" to realize that Coach Michael Grant did the best with what was given to him. What he did not receive was support, facilities, Cheerleaders, a pep band, good quality concessions, a media presence in Baton Rouge, support from the Chancellor, and last but not least support from the SU Board. Great Job Southern you screwed another one. It will take another five years to rebuild the little progress that Coach Grant built.

If being a good coach means staying and accepting the aforementioned conditions then that sounds like foolishness to me. THE DEFINITION OF A FOOL IS SOMEONE WHO DOES SOMETHING REPEATEDLY THE SAME WAY AND EXPECTS DIFFERENT RESULTS. SOUTHERN HAS DONE IT AGAIN! They did the same thing that they did with the last five coaches. Hired someone to turn it around and then fired them before they could recruit people that fit their style of play. THEN YOU HIRE A NEW GUY THAT TOOK NINE YEARS TO TURN HIS TEAM AROUND. NINE YEARS!!! HOW MANY WILL HE ACTUALLY GET AT SOUTHERN IS ANOTHER QUESTION. I wonder what was asked of the new coach in his interview.

Coach: I think it would be an excellent opportunity for me to further my career at an instution such as yours.

Coach: I would bring in top recruits with the number of scholarships available to me by the NCAA.

SU: If you are going into your last year of your contract and with the option to extend, we finished messing over the football coach that has been here for twelve years, and we have not expressed interest in keeping you around? Would you if contacted seek consistency in your life?

Coach: I am committed to this university and will be a loyal employee. Just so long as you give me that same loyalty and trust. Trust that I will not do or say anything that will bring discredit to the university. However, I would go on an interview (that you say I can go on) and express interest in the job. I will tell them what I can do to help that program. Just as I did in the interview for the job that I have been appointed.

Coach: Are you going to ever fix the mini-dome and put a weight room together in an actual building?

:lmao: WHOA!!!!

hehateme said:

:rolleyes: :bawling: :mrt: :xeye: and finally :sleep2:

Welcome to the board Coach Grant :wavey: :lmao:

well, well, well

SUcks,
If you can't beat them (and yall damn shole couldn't beat ASU), you get their coach.
:lol::lol:

seriously,
IMO, Spivery is a stand up guy. Straight forward and always ready to talk to the fans. I remember calling him and asking him about scheduling a game in Atl (yeah, I'm selfish :D and he said he would try. And true to his word, ASU has played a game in Atl every year since then).

However, some folks, actually, quite a few folks, (fans and recruits) weren't a fan of the type of ball he played. (if any SU folks think his brand of ball will excite the masses and bring them out, then you're mistakened).

as for ASU, all I can say, is with the right hire, ASU could really take it to the next level. I think Lewis Jackson (with his connections in Ala and AAU ball, with the Acadome as a hook) would be HUGE!!!!

mighty hornet said:
However, some folks, actually, quite a few folks, (fans and recruits) weren't a fan of the type of ball he played. (if any SU folks think his brand of ball will excite the masses and bring them out, then you're mistakened).

as for ASU, all I can say, is with the right hire, ASU could really take it to the next level. I think Lewis Jackson (with his connections in Ala and AAU ball, with the Acadome as a hook) would be HUGE!!!!

I agree.

I also agree that Spivery was a good guy, I just didn't like slow down basketball. Hopefully, whoever we hire will bring back the excitement that was always a part of true Bama State basketball.

Look Out SWAC, Bama State Basketball is Coming Back ! ! !

Maybe Spivery played that brand of ball because of what he had to work with. Maybe he'll adapt to the talent at Southern and open it up a bit. One thing y'all haven't said about Spivery is, "he can't coach." Nobody has posted that because he can coach his ass off.

It seems to me that SU wants a winner. At least in the SWAC, Spivery is a winner.

Lewis said:

Dude..........
You seem to have an awfully inflated opinion of yourself and your school. "L", this is not the first time that Sucks went to the other SWAC member schools for a knowledgeable WINNING Coach who is capable of WINNING consistently. They did the same thing when they came on bended knee to AAMU for Ben Jobe. They had Bates an AAMU graduste. Now it seems that they are looking to ALABAMA A&M/ALABAMA STATE to bail dat arse out again. Don't try to sell that snit about y'all don't want a coach from ALABAMA A&M/STATE.........'CAUSE IT's quite OBVIOUS THAT Y'all DO! :tdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back