As Deion prepares to leave can the SWAC become a place where young coaching talent proves itself before moving on?

BookerJones

In other words, can the SWAC become like the MAC. Some famous coaches that coached in the MAC include:

Big Ten – Urban Meyer-Ohio State (Bowling Green), Brady Hoke-Michigan (Ball State), Jerry Kill-Minnesota (Northern Illinois), Tim Beckman-Illinois (Toledo), Darrell Hazell-Purdue (Kent State)
Ind. – Brian Kelly-Notre Dame (Central Michigan)
SEC-Nick Saban-Alabama (Toledo), Gary Pinkel-Missouri (Toledo), Butch Jones-Tennessee (Central Michigan)
ACC-Al Golden-Miami (Temple), Steve Addazio-Boston College (Temple), Dave Doeren-NC State (Northern Illinois), Dave Clawson-Wake Forest (Bowling Green)

This list is a bit dated but you get the picture.

So, can the SWAC become like the MAC? If so, what needs to change or stay the same? What say you?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
The SWAC will aways and only be the SWAC. We ain’t and never will be like any other conference.

That's the problem. The SWAC is experiencing growth because of a single personality, Deion Sanders. Black folks often get caught up behind personalities or a single leader instead of creating systemic and long-term growth. Now, is the time to take the momentum Deion has given the conference and become better for the long-term. If not, the SWAC will go back to being what it was before Deion.

Well … Urban Meyer is available
I Guess If You Say So GIF

I think it can. The SWAC has the best collegiate BLACK fans and alumni of any conference in the nation. The SWAC culture is unmatched and Deion helped put a spotlight on it so I think it will attract very talented thirsty coaches looking to build a legacy in collegiate athletics

Call me petty which won't bother me but I don't wish him success at UC-Boulder. Those white folks at UC-Boulder (my boss went there) already rich, the city is thriving, and don't need him like JSU and the City of Jackson needed him. HIS STARDOM BROUGHT NEW LIFE AND INTEREST INTO THE CITY OF JACKSON LIKE I NEVER SEEN BEFORE. But I knew Deion was a smooth talking con artist that cant be trusted. Based on what he told us, JSU was a bigger part of his God given purpose to make a substantial impact.

I hope JSU can enjoy the residual success once Mr. SWAC leave. But to be fair, Jackson isn't a good place to live long term so I do understand his desire to leave but he should've not made all those big promises he did getting the people of Jackson hopes up. And with his money, he could circumvent most of the issues living in Jackson presented.

Last edited:
I think it can. The SWAC has the best collegiate BLACK fans and alumni of any conference in the nation. The SWAC culture is unmatched and Deion helped put a spotlight on it so I think it will attract very talented thirsty coaches looking to build a legacy in collegiate athletics

Call me petty which won't bother me but I don't wish him success at UC-Boulder. Those white folks already rich, doing well, and don't need him like JSU and the City of Jackson needed him. HIS STARDOM BROUGHT NEW LIFE AND INTEREST INTO THE CITY OF JACKSON LIKE I NEVER SEEN BEFORE. But I knew Deion was a smooth talking con artist that cant be trusted. Based on what he told us, JSU was a bigger part of his God given purpose to make substantial impact. I hope JSU can enjoy the residual success once Mr. SWAC leave. But to be fair, Jackson isn't a good place to live long term so I do understand his desire to leave but he should've made all those big promises he did.

I don’t take anything any coach says at face value. That being said, gonna be some folks mad at him simply because of what he said

I don’t take anything any coach says at face value. That being said, gonna be some folks mad at him simply because of what he said
Well you know he puts on this man of god act so unwise people are more inclined to believe him. Even though he's super wealthy and famous, Deion is still all about gaining more money and fame for himself. If he was who he said he was, he'll be committed to use his resources to work to uplift the neediest communities but of course he wont. He did great things for JSU and Jackson but I'll argue that JSU and Jackson did even more great things for him. JSU and Jackson made him more relevant b/c I haven't really seen or heard from him this much since he retired from football

This is a total sell out move. A lot of black people will not take this news well while white people will rejoice. CU-Boulder will NOT be a good move for him and I can't wait to say I told you so. I've been there before, it's very rich, very white, and cultureless. There's nothing special about CU-Boulder like there is about Thee Jackson State University! It's definitely not a place a proud black man can go to thrive or be himself.

Last edited:
I have said this many times before, NO FCS and some FBS schools cannot retain the coaches that are in demand, because they cant compete financially. Ole Miss almost lost their coach to Auburn, Liberty did lose their coach to Auburn.

We have to enjoy our coaches while we have them.
:clap:

It's about business. We all work because it's about business not personal. So is life. Everyone desires something. That's how it goes.
It's personal when you lie to people who believed in you and your vision. He played on the emotions of so many so NO it's not just business when you do that. He said he was happy at JSU and wanted to build JSU up to compete with most FBS programs and he's not close to doing that ... shit they barely out competing unranked FCS programs right now.

Truthfully his motive was to get enough attention to leave on the first P5 train smoking. All that God sent me here , I'm staying, and I'm looking to make a substantial difference talk was all fake. He came in fall 2020, left fall 2022 ... hard to make a substantial difference in that short amount of time. If you don't believe me watch how quickly JSU football operations falls apart despite all the momentum it had. But of course people with no integrity and character won't see anything wrong with what he did and gonna say it's business. He's free to do what he want but his reputation and legacy will take a huge hit.

You can be a good business man with ethics and character.

Last edited:
He's free to do what he want but his reputation and legacy will take a huge hit.
If he wins whenever he goes…He’ll be good. If he loses, some HBCU or lower tier FBS would welcome him with open arms like they do we so many other coaches.

I’m curious on how he will be able to handle boosters and the media if they start loosing. If I remember correctly, he blames players when losing (I may be wrong but I remember something rubbing me wrong after those loses his first spring season).

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
It's personal when you lie to people who believed in you and your vision. He played on the emotions of so many so NO it's not just business when you do that. He said he was happy at JSU and wanted to build JSU up to compete with most FBS programs and he's not close to doing that ... shit they barely out competing unranked FCS programs right now.

Truthfully his motive was to get enough attention to leave on the first P5 train smoking. All that God sent me here , I'm staying, and I'm looking to make a substantial difference talk was all fake. He came in fall 2020, left fall 2022 ... hard to make a substantial difference in that short amount of time. If you don't believe me watch how quickly JSU football operations falls apart despite all the momentum it had. But of course people with no integrity and character won't see anything wrong with what he did and gonna say it's business. He's free to do what he want but his reputation and legacy will take a huge hit.

Personal? Man, that was game to get Deion and JSU where they wanted to be. Deion and JSU both benefited. It was business.

And, Deion isn't leaving on the first thing smoking. Rather, this is an incredible offer that will pay Deion, his staff, and I imagine the NIL deals they're offering will be fiyah too. So, it's a win win for all those involved.

If he wins whenever he goes…He’ll be good. If he loses, some HBCU or lower tier FBS would welcome him with open arms like they do we so many other coaches.

I’m curious on how he will be able to handle boosters and the media if they start loosing. If I remember correctly, he blames players when losing (I may be wrong but I remember something rubbing me wrong after those loses his first spring season).
Deion needs to do more than win. At a P5, he gotta win CHAMPIONSHIPS! Otherwise, he'll get much hate and get fired. P5 coaches get paid too much money to just win, they gotta win the big games. P5 coaches get fired quick.

It'll be interesting to see how he handles the spotlight AND CULTURE at CU-Boulder in a dying PAC-12 conference. A lot of privileges he did at JSU won't fly at CU-Boulder.

You can be a good business man with ethics and character.

No, our people really don't know business. It wasn't Deion's issue that so many black people hung on his every word and believed his entire schtick about reinvigorating HBCU football. No, the issue is with black folks. Black folks fall for the silver tongue and sweet talk every time and many of us overlook the black folks with real substance and new ideas.

Deion needs to do more than win. At a P5, he gotta win CHAMPIONSHIPS! Otherwise, he'll get much hate and get fired. P5 coaches get paid too much money to just win, they gotta win the big games. P5 coaches get fired quick.

It'll be interesting to see how he handles the spotlight AND CULTURE at CU-Boulder in a dying PAC-12 conference. A lot of privileges he did at JSU won't fly at CU-Boulder.

If Deion wins 7-9 games at Colorado his time there will be a success and Deion will be in the running for bigger jobs. Power 5 jobs nowadays with the one-time immediate transfer rule and NIL have changed the game. Now, you can turn a program around in one season. Just look at Michigan State last season and USC this season.

His reputation won't take a hit with me.

This was pimping at its finest.

He has my respect FOREVER for this masterful job of pimping. High school to Power 5 in three years? With just a mouthpiece and personality? Had these proud, arrogant, pretentious, and gullible people thinking it was all about them?

Masterful pimping. Masterful.

Deion Sanders and Donald Trump should be studied in a graduate-level course: The Cult of Personality: How to Hack the System.

It's a LOT in common between those two. Sir, you know what you are talking about.

Personal? Man, that was game to get Deion and JSU where they wanted to be. Deion and JSU both benefited. It was business.

And, Deion isn't leaving on the first thing smoking. Rather, this is an incredible offer that will pay Deion, his staff, and I imagine the NIL deals they're offering will be fiyah too. So, it's a win win for all those involved.
I'm thinking CU-Boulder is his FIRST GOOD OFFER! Yes, he's interviewed with a lot of schools but he's been rejected by a lot too.

His staff? He didn't do this for his staff. Watch how loyal he'll be too his staff once they get to CU-Boulder and they start losing. He gonna fire them so quick. And his players were already getting fiyah NIL deals at JSU so it's not that either.

Deion did this for himself first and foremost which again he's entitled to do but I wish he didn't pretend to care so much about JSU, HBCUs, and Jackson like he claimed. If he cared so much like he claimed, he would've never left this early. He would've gave at least 5 strong seasons

Championships will be nice but Deion is about to bring so much NIL investment and apparel sales to Colorado that a championship would be nice but they will reap way more benefits than a championship would garner.

I'm thinking CU-Boulder is his FIRST GOOD OFFER! Yes, he's interviewed with a lot of schools but he's been rejected by a lot too.

His staff? He didn't do this for his staff. Watch how loyal he'll be too his staff once they get to CU-Boulder and they start losing. He gonna fire them so quick. And his players were already getting fiyah NIL deals at JSU so it's not that either.

Deion did this for himself first and foremost which again he's entitled to do but I wish he didn't pretend to care so much about JSU, HBCUs, and Jackson like he claimed. If he cared so much like he claimed, he would've never left this early. He would've gave at least 5 strong seasons

If this is his first good offer it's a damn good first offer. To have been a high school coach 3 years ago and now you have a contract paying you a base of $5 million per year with incentives to pay you $7 million per year is unprecedented in big-time college football. No, white coach ever made a move like this!

Back