AAMU adds another qb

Tigerpride said:
Mike, you don't even know who the players were, yet you say that they were freshmen and sophomores. Let me tell you a secret...we were playing freshman and sophomores too. But no team is all freshman and sopohomres. Pratt was a So after playing behind Asberry.

Alum, where is the stat sheet that shows that some slow AAMU RB broke for 55 yards.

It does't matter becasue obviously you all had a pretty good nucleus. You ended up 6-5 but you started out 5-1 until the bottom fell out and you lost 4 of your last five. This typically means you had no depth which further supports my theory that you all only beat us because you played us the first week. Shannon's system is not easy. Everytime we changed QB's in that system, they strugged from Pratt to Washington to Kent!!

How you gonna tell me that I don't know the players when I named them. That's not even all the All-SIAC players for that year. Then you gonna turn around and ask for a stat sheet? Dude, I just named most of the players that played a part in the win and Alum just reminded me of Buchannan. I had actually forgot about that guy. He wasn't like Whitehead, but he did get the best run of his carreer against you lames.

Yes, we did start out 5-1 that year. But that 5-1 record consisted of a beatdown the week after we beat your SWAC champion team by U of North Alabama (D2 National Champs). Then we played all the usual sorry teams of the SIAC

Clark-Atlanta Score 7-0
Savannah State Score 11-8
Morris Brown Score 26-6
Morehouse Score 48-14

All those were wins, but when we hit the usual best teams in the SIAC. Starting with Albany State (Score 45-9), who won the SIAC that year. We got our skulls kicked in. The only win after that was Fort Valley (Score 17-13).

Now if you knew what you were talking about, you'd see that this team actually wasn't that good and we had difficulties all season because the guys were young and wanted to do their own thing most of the season. I remember when we did the coach's show (Yeah we had a TV coach show back then, too) that Pettiford would complain about players just doing what ever they wanted to do and blowing assignments. He said they were playing street ball and that was because they were a young team. He even went so far as to say "don't let the win over jsu fool you" after the game with you guys. He knew then that we had a long road to tow with what he had to work with.

As for your team being young. What kinda excuse is that for a D1AA team playing a D2 school? Let you tell it, jsu should never lose to teams that are inferior to them. But, yet we have this score where you actually lost to little old AAMU. A D2 school that you claim you never heard of until you played us in 1994. Ain't that something? :smh:

Mike said:
He even went so far as to say "don't let the win over jsu fool you" after the game with you guys. He knew then that we had a long road to tow with what he had to work with.

As for your team being young. What kinda excuse is that for a D1AA team playing a D2 school? Let you tell it, jsu should never lose to teams that are inferior to them. But, yet we have this score where you actually lost to little old AAMU. A D2 school that you claim you never heard of until you played us in 1994. Ain't that something? :smh:

I had never heard of you until 1994..and I had never heard of the Monkey City Classic until around 1996 or something on Black College Sports Today.

So what you are tellin me is that ole Pettaway knew that he had a one point fluke against JSU. Smart man.

Also, just becasue there was lot's of turnover does not mean the team was not senior laden. Regardless, you only beat us becasue we were young and inexperienced. Trust me, if you had any sign of a team with offense, you would know that a passing offense is hard to pass off to the heir apparent. We would have bashed your head in a few weeks later. Ya'll were quite sorry.

LOL@ this topic... maybe the SIAC was just stronger than the SWAC that year....

I swear I would have loved to see Jackson State play the UNA's and Jacksonville States on the 90s

DAHILL said:
LOL@ this topic... maybe the SIAC was just stronger than the SWAC that year....

I swear I would have loved to see Jackson State play the UNA's and Jacksonville States on the 90s

UNA would've beat the living crap out of them! :lmao:

BTW TP,

It's Pettiford, not Pettaway. I understand that you can get your whippins mixed up after all this time, but you need to make sure you get the names right.

Anyway, you keep talking about a week later or whatever. But, as you said, yall got beat by FAMU and TnSU after that. So, it's safe to say that you guys still weren't ready and the SWAC was probably having a down year. That's usually the saying when you start off the season in such manner.

You will never just own up to the fact that you lost. Even if you did have a young team. By the standards that you always place on these boards. No D1AA teams should lose to a D2 team. These are the things that your crew always say, yet when pointed out that we were D2 and pushed our foot off in that butt yall want to change the parameters to fit what your situation is. Then, you backed out of the game because you were scared of repeating the same thing the very next year.

One more thing, we didn't lose that many players that year. Of the ones that we did lose, there weren't that many starters. Alot of injuries happened in practice, not on the field. So, we had depth. We just had a young team that had been on the bench, with a small amount of seniors and juniors that were still around and hadn't played as much. See Ray Bonner was unsuccessful as head coach in the years before Pettiford and Oliver. Which were the same seniors that you are talking about that would be on that team that whooped yall. But, you wouldn't understand where I'm coming from when I say these things, would you?

:smh:

Mike said:
UNA would've beat the living crap out of them! :lmao:

BTW TP,

It's Pettiford, not Pettaway. I understand that you can get your whippins mixed up after all this time, but you need to make sure you get the names right.

Anyway, you keep talking about a week later or whatever. But, as you said, yall got beat by FAMU and TnSU after that. So, it's safe to say that you guys still weren't ready and the SWAC was probably having a down year. That's usually the saying when you start off the season in such manner.

You will never just own up to the fact that you lost. Even if you did have a young team. By the standards that you always place on these boards. No D1AA teams should lose to a D2 team. These are the things that your crew always say, yet when pointed out that we were D2 and pushed our foot off in that butt yall want to change the parameters to fit what your situation is. Then, you backed out of the game because you were scared of repeating the same thing the very next year.

One more thing, we didn't lose that many players that year. Of the ones that we did lose, there weren't that many starters. Alot of injuries happened in practice, not on the field. So, we had depth. We just had a young team that had been on the bench, with a small amount of seniors and juniors that were still around and hadn't played as much. See Ray Bonner was unsuccessful as head coach in the years before Pettiford and Oliver. Which were the same seniors that you are talking about that would be on that team that whooped yall. But, you wouldn't understand where I'm coming from when I say these things, would you?

:smh:

Mike, read above, we did not lose to TNState and we only lost to the MEAC champ by 3 in Tallahassee so by no means was it a down year. If you got drug through the SIAC that year, you would have got drug through the SWAC. You just got a fluke season opening win that even your coach knew was a fluke. Big Daddy was dayum near fired after losing to the likes of Annie Mae...JSU has always treated our coaches like we did Hughes...championship or get out. Big Daddy was beginning his 4th and final year of his contract. He had never had a losing season but we did not start kicking azz until after 1995. In the early 90's, with McNair, Pete, Eddie Rob, and Big Daddy, it was hard to get a win against the upper echelon of the SWAC. AAMU would have been the PV of the SWAC.

Also, we would not have lost to the likes of some D2 white schools. We ain't scared of white folks just because they white. :shh:

DAHILL said:

I would love to see you play them now...oops, you still runnin from em.:lmao:

Back