AAMU adds another qb

DAHILL

main-1084354-672316.embedded.jpg

Alabama A&M added another talented quarterback to its recruiting class when Kevin Atkins signed with the Bulldogs. A 6-0, 215-pounder out of Southern Durham (N.C.) High School, Atkins posted a 38-3 record as a three-year starter and never lost a regular-season game as a starter. He was a class 4A All-State selection and was the starting quarterback for North Carolina in the North Carolina/South Carolina Shrine Bowl. He passed for over 2000 yards and rushed for over 700 yards his senior season

05-06 Highlight clips...

clip 1 displays passing abilities
Kevin Atkins passing

clip 2 displays running abilities

Kevin Atkins rushing

Kevin Atkins rivals.com page
http://northcarolina.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=38431

Very good recruit for A&M, now hopefully you guys can open up the offense a little bit. A&M needs some major help on the O-line and WR positions for them to actually win the SWAC Title.

Congrats A&M, although there's something about left-handed quarterbacks that I just don't like.

I know . . . I know . . . Michael Vick, Matt Leinart, Steve Young, so on, and so forth. I didn't say they weren't good, I just said that I don't like 'em. But since he's going to A&M, I don't have to like him. :lol:

He reminds me of the way Jackson State last QB looked on film before arriving on campus. :lol: :emlaugh:

Deuce said:
Congrats A&M, although there's something about left-handed quarterbacks that I just don't like.

I know . . . I know . . . Michael Vick, Matt Leinart, Steve Young, so on, and so forth. I didn't say they weren't good, I just said that I don't like 'em. But since he's going to A&M, I don't have to like him. :lol:

:lol:

Robber said:
Don't do the kid like that, man.:shame:

Well Haren did look like all world on film. :lol: :emlaugh: Then he proceed to chunk passes with footballs that seemed to have helium in them. :lol: :emlaugh: Some of the passes he threw reminded me of the balloons in the Macy's Day parade......But I digress :lol: :emlaugh: :read:

My film stopped about halfway through. The kid looked good though. He's not a pro-style QB in the sense that he works out of the gun. He has a great arm though and a nice compact delivery.

This kid is more fit for the Jags of Southern. A&M would have to change their style of play to make this kid effective.

Devil's Gun Trigger Man said:
he better be a pro-style quarterback only running a 4.82. Most linebackers in the SWAC would run him down easily, I know two right off hand.

Don't worry one bit. We did not get him to outrun linebackers. He will be lobbying bombs over the heads of cornerbacks or shooting missiles across the middle in front of safeties.

I hope you have more than those two linebackers when he starts playing in a couple of seasons.

Oracle said:
Don't worry one bit. We did not get him to outrun linebackers. He will be lobbying bombs over the heads of cornerbacks or shooting missiles across the middle in front of safeties.

I hope you have more than those two linebackers when he starts playing in a couple of seasons.

Who is he going to be throwing those bombs to? Honestly, I don't know much about AAMU players but as I recall, you all are not known for your passing game or offense in general. Having a good QB without the complementing WR's is pointless.

Tigerpride said:
Who is he going to be throwing those bombs to? Honestly, I don't know much about AAMU players but as I recall, you all are not known for your passing game or offense in general. Having a good QB without the complementing WR's is pointless.

We got the receivers. Always had them. Just did not utilize them. I was at the softball and baseball games last weekend and talked to one of the coaches. Our philosophy on the offensive game may change some this year.

This should scare JSU a lot. Those 50+ points games could balloon to 60+. Comegy may still have to face the nightmare he has been dodging all these years.

Oracle said:
We got the receivers. Always had them. Just did not utilize them. I was at the softball and baseball games last weekend and talked to one of the coaches. Our philosophy on the offensive game may change some this year.

This should scare JSU a lot. Those 50+ points games could balloon to 60+. Comegy may still have to face the nightmare he has been dodging all these years.

Dude, we ain't about to make this into a JSU-AAMU argument but you won't be able to stand toe to toe with us. I know that you all kicked Comegy's azz ONE year that he was at TU but during the same era, he was able to handle BAMA State when they were handlin' ya'll. Just know that this is JSU not Tuskegee. Also know that this is Comegy...not Bell or Hughes.

Tigerpride said:
He had almost the same exact stats that Luke had year... Luke had 2,000 yards passing and 600 yards rushing...we passed when we needed to last year.

I'm not taking anything away from the kid, but from watching those clips, one thing was obvious, the system they ran contributed alot to his completions. They were running formations looking like what Urban Meyer was running at Utah. We all know that if u send 5 receivers out in high school, somebody is bound to be open. I don't know if he checked, but AAMU ain't running an offense like that. He could use some work on his mechanics, but hopefully he will pay dividends for u guys except when ya'll play us.

Back