2021 Swac Football Attendance - Week 7

'It was phenomenal': Deion Sanders reflects on biggest homecoming crowd in Jackson State history​

Deion Sanders paused for a moment, searching for the words to describe his feelings on his first homecoming as Jackson State football coach.

He explained what it felt like riding though campus with his sons on a golf cart, seeing the food vendors selling items and the fraternities and sororities stepping on the yard. He mentioned how much he loved the atmosphere and enjoyed having the chance to soak it all in.

"I've been amongst my people all my life, but not amongst my people," Sanders said. "So, just seeing everything and being amongst my people, involved with my people, in the midst of my people, is totally different than when you're on the field and you're performing. I'm not performing anymore. I'm helping to build, to magnify, to construct, to enlarge, to improve everything that I'm doing amongst my people...and I'm getting the opportunity to indulge in it."

The large crowd, along with a 28-7 Jackson State win over Alabama State, made for a big recruiting weekend as well.

"I think we accommodated 200 recruits," Sanders said. "I know we had requests for 345 exact because I care about those type of numbers to see if we can accommodate more. It was really really good. I think we had several on official visits that had great visits. You couldn't ask for more on an official visit to see that atmosphere, to see the fanfare, to see the culture, to see what we presented and to win at that. It was phenomenal."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-jnr_AdF5g

Last edited:

Just like always even on other social media outlets, our good ole friends over at Jaguar land are so concerned about jsu and our attendance and our stadium capacity. Thanks sooo much for the concern. We really appreciate it. Lol. Like my grandmother use to say, it’s always good to be thought about. 😂

Attachments

• 84C32742-F142-4368-B6AA-5FE1AE784B8B.jpeg
    84C32742-F142-4368-B6AA-5FE1AE784B8B.jpeg
    412.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 7FFAD82D-478B-42E5-A39D-17B6B2B5D802.jpeg
    7FFAD82D-478B-42E5-A39D-17B6B2B5D802.jpeg
    895.6 KB · Views: 33
Just like always even on other social media outlets, our good ole friends over at Jaguar land are so concerned about jsu and our attendance and our stadium capacity. Thanks sooo much for the concern. We really appreciate it. Lol. Like my grandmother use to say, it’s always good to be thought about. 😂
Just flat out pitiful!! Lmao..

There are a lot of cities in this country in the same predicament, it's not right but not just a Jackson problem.. there many factors to this problem and it's much deeper than the AVERAGE PERSON will ever understand. I attended the game and enjoyed it very much. Remained me of years past. 1000's of black people enjoying themselves.
We're talking about Jackson right now and nobody said it's not happening elsewhere. Black people are at the bottom of the economic totem pole practically eveywhere and always have been.

I was so happy to see Jackson State break the "homecoming record" for all HBCUs and FCS programs. Also I was very happy to see Jxn as a city come alive ... $5 million was pumped into the city last weekend but I'm hoping most of it went into the hands of other people who look like us ... that's my thing.

We're talking about Jackson right now and nobody said it's not happening elsewhere. Black people are at the bottom of the economic totem pole practically eveywhere and always have been.

I was so happy to see Jackson State break the "homecoming record" for all HBCUs and FCS programs. Also I was very happy to see Jxn as a city come alive ... $5 million was pumped into the city last weekend but I'm hoping most of it went into the hands of other people who look like us ... that's my thing.
Dude go take a break. All is needed is a congratulations to Jackson state on this forum. The rest of what you are saying should go over to small talk lol. #theeILOVE

AAMU averages more people than Bama State so far this season... hell you only had 12k for homecoming.
And we also are still observing 50% Capacity in attendance this season. You just had another major game in which you could still have potential conference implications and yet you didn't have 9k. In non-covid seasons, with the exception of one season - back in 2003 - yall dont even come close to us in attendance (I cant believe I am in an "attendance" discussion) - https://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/ncaa-football-attendance

Fiyah, I am not sure why but I think during the Meyers administration, they had the seats renumbered. Why? I dont know and they never said why. The current administration disregards it and uses the original number. Besides, how can a stadium lost 20K seats without renovation? I could see if they installed chair back seats, etc.. but they didnt. So as far as this administration is concerned, we hold 62,500.
I know we lost the 2,500 from 62,500 when they did the handicap section going around stadium. I think they took up 2 rows in each lower section at top where the handicap/wheel chairs currently sit. But you are definitely right about going from 60k to 44k. And honestly I was told they redid the numbers on the bleachers but looking at them Saturday the numbers still looked very close to each other so I’m totally confused as to why they listed the capacity at 44,000. But as you said, until they do something similar to what legion field did by actually taking some levels off the stadium then it’s still a 60k + seat venue.

Yeah okay .....

Hell I doubt they know.

Mofos must think I'm doing like most of them speaking about Mississippi from outta state. I'm still here and seeing it first hand how Middle Easterners have the hotels and convenience stores on lock and white people with all the other major businesses. White flight to the burbs is real and the growth (especially in Ridgeland and Flowood) shows it.

My comment wasn't meant as a slight. JSU is the big dog in a black city of over 150,000 and could be what ATL was about 20 years ago before gentrification and token c___s like KLB as mayor. They got a mayor with his head on straight but it's hard when you are working against (white) lawmakers in the state intent on keeping Jackson down (and token blacks too weak to do anything about it). Too many of us like to be criticial of things but won't do anything as far as reaching back.

We can do it. The same energy, we have applied for politics and religion. Just imagine, if we did the same energy with economics.

Back