TxSu Hires Johnny Jones as Basketball Coach

Good coaching hire txSU. Way to make a decision in a timely manner. No need to prolong the search.
He was good/fair/a lil better than average at UNT. Didn't fare so well at LSU. Don't see how the W/L at either
can equate to anything at TX Southern. Only time, recruiting, and coaching will tell.

Nevertheless, congrats.

Good coaching hire txSU. Way to make a decision in a timely manner. No need to prolong the search.
He was good/fair/a lil better than average at UNT. Didn't fare so well at LSU. Don't see how the W/L at either
can equate to anything at TX Southern. Only time, recruiting, and coaching will tell.

Nevertheless, congrats.
If only time, recruiting and coaching will tell, how can you say it was a good hire? You don't know yet.

If only time, recruiting and coaching will tell, how can you say it was a good hire? You don't know yet.
Good that they picked someone soon, that has shown the ability to recruit TX. Has turned a (smaller than SEC) program around.

However, time will tell if he's a winner at TX SU.....which is what it all boils down to.

But look what he did there from 2006 forward at North Texas.

2006–07 North Texas 23–11
2007–08 North Texas 20–11
2008–09 North Texas 20–12
2009–10 North Texas 24–9
2010–11 North Texas 22–11
2011–12 North Texas 18–14

In his 11 seasons there he only had 2 losing seasons and that was his 2nd and 3rd year there. He basically rebuilt that program from the beginning and ended it with 8 continuing winning seasons before moving on to LSU. He will inherit a better program than what he had at NTSU.

But we will see.
His conference record and lack of postseason leads me to believe he routinely beat up on cupcakes. Mike Davis would have had a much better record too if he scheduled soft non-conference opponents.

Speaking of talent, i remember in 1990 or so when KG (Kevin Granger) dribbled the ball in the his first layup line, Me and Dollar Bill looked at each other and said this kid is the real deal. Lacy Reynolds had been talking about this kid. We need new coach to get a couple of difference makers and fill in with role players.

Speaking of talent, i remember in 1990 or so when KG (Kevin Granger) dribbled the ball in the his first layup line, Me and Dollar Bill looked at each other and said this kid is the real deal. Lacy Reynolds had been talking about this kid. We need new coach to get a couple of difference makers and fill in with role players.

What about now Fiyah?

36287655_10155370348986603_1737809180313518080_n.jpg

His conference record and lack of postseason leads me to believe he routinely beat up on cupcakes. Mike Davis would have had a much better record too if he scheduled soft non-conference opponents.

North Texas is in a conference that tends to be a one bid league with some exceptions. He only finished below 4th ONCE.

One thing he did at North Texas was PLAY regional OOC games-something BUTLER did under Brad Stevens. How did that work out? 2 championship games and a NBA job and only produced 2 NBA players. A LOT of teams beat up on cupcakes-yet no one complains about it unless the coach is black.

So what would you rather have play like Davis OOC for checks and get a play in game and no home OOC games or get OOC home games with WINS and beat up on your conference and still get in the big dance?

He needs to mix in some zone. I have seen coaches who don’t know how to attack a zone defense on the college level. If you can’t knock down a mid rang jumper you can’t beat a zone.
The top teams in SWAC bust the zone because they all have shooters. We played more match up in the SWAC tourney and it made a huge difference.

Jerone Francis played that zone and it worked like clockwork when we played teams that struggled to shoot. Strib had no problems shooting over that zone with Attarius Norwood.

Back