1. The largest crowd ever to watch the SWAC Football Championship was in 1999. In the first ever football championship game, a crowd of 47,621 witnessed Southern defeat Jackson State at Legion Field.
2. Grambling State has appeared in the football championship game more than any other team in the SWAC. The Tigers have made seven appearances posting a 6-1 record. Alabama A&M follows with six appearances.
3. Legion Field has been home to the SWAC Football Championship since its inception in 1999.
4. Only two schools in the SWAC have not made a trip to the championship game. Mississippi Valley State and Alcorn State are the only teams without an appearance in the title game.
5. With a 45-6 win over Alabama A&M in 2005, Grambling State recorded the most points scored in SWAC Football Championship game.
6. In Southern and Alabama State’s match-up in 2004, both teams combined for a championship record, 75 points. Southern defeated Alabam State, 40-35.
7. There are only two schools with unbeaten records in the SWAC Football Championship game. Both SWAC schools from the Lone Star State, Texas Southern and Prairie View A&M, hold a 1-0 record. *
8. The Western Division holds a commanding 10-3 lead over the Eastern Division in the SWAC Football Championship. Jackson State was the last Eastern Division squad to capture the title. The Tigers won their first championship game in 2007 with a 42-31 win over Grambling State. It was GSU’s first loss in the title game. Grambling State avenged the loss the following year (2008) in the championship game. GSU defeated JSU by the score of 41-9.
UPDATED – 12/6/2012
* NCAA sanctions forced Texas Southern to vacate all wins including the championship title the team won in 2012.
– Information courtesy of the SWAC office