There are a total of 18 non-conference games on the composite SWAC football schedule for the 2011 season. The maximum number of games would be 20 under the SWAC’s current 9 game scheduling format, but Alcorn State and Mississippi Valley State have only 10 games scheduled for the upcoming 2011 campaign.
2011 SWAC Football Non-Conference Opponents (By Team)
Alabama A&M: Tuskegee, Hampton
Alabama State: Eastern Michigan, Tuskegee
Alcorn State: Concordia (AL)
Arkansas-Pine Bluff: Langston, Clark-Atlanta
Grambling: Louisiana-Monroe, Concordia (AL)
Jackson State: Tennessee State, Concordia (AL)
Mississippi Valley State: South Alabama
Prairie View A&M: Bethune Cookman, Texas State
Southern: Tennessee State, Florida A&M
Texas Southern: Texas College, Central State
Here are some key points about the SWAC’s non conference opponents.
Of the 18 non conference games scheduled:
- 3 are against FBS opponents.
- 6 are against FCS opponents.
- 5 are against HBCUs that play at the FCS level.
- 9 are against opponents playing at the DII/NAIA level.
- Concordia (AL) – a NAIA program – appears 3 times on the SWAC non-conference schedule.
- Alcorn State, Arkansas-Pine Bluff and Texas Southern play non-conference schedules made up entirely of schools that play at the DII or NAIA level.
Last year SWAC teams finished with a combined win-loss record of 8-11 against non-conference opponents. Three of those losses were against teams that play below the FCS level (2 losses to Tuskegee and 1 against Arkansas-Monticello).
UPDATE: Since this post Mississippi Valley State has added Murray State to its 2011 schedule.
Feel free to comment in the comment section.