The Southwestern Athletic Conference will hold its 2007 SWAC Womenâ€™s Volleyball Tournament November 16-17 on the campus of Prairie View A&M in Prairie View, Texas. Teams representing both the Eastern and Western Divisions will look to end this season as the SWAC Womenâ€™s Volleyball Champions. The tournament is an eight-team, double-elimination event which will span two days of athletic competition.
Friday, November 16th (opening round) â€“ All eight teams will compete in opening round action beginning at 9:00 am. Grambling State will meet Jackson State in the William Nicks Building while Alabama A&M will take on Texas Southern in the Recreation Center. During the 11:00 am matches, Mississippi Valley State will take on Arkansas-Pine Bluff in the Nicks Building while Alabama State will meet host institution Prairie View A&M in the Recreation Center.
Saturday November 17th (championship day) â€“ The Championship Match will take place at 1:30 pm in the William Nicks Building. The winner will be crowned the 2007 SWAC Volleyball Tournament Champion and receive the automatic bid to the 2007 NCAA Womenâ€™s Volleyball Tournament.
Below are the team-by-team capsules of the eight participating teams in the tournament:
1. Prairie View A&M â€“ 17-14 overall, 7-1 SWAC â€“ The Lady Panthers have won their last seven conference matches â€¦ are led by Tamika Newman (359 kills, 65 digs, 56 blocks) and Tacho Richard (247 kills, 121 digs, 25 blocks).
2. Grambling State â€“ 19-11 overall, 7-1 SWAC â€“ The Lady Tigers have won their last six conference matches â€¦ are guided by Kayla Williams (220 kills, 23 aces, 278 digs, 50 blocks) and Jovan Lewis (188 kills, 72 blocks).
3. Texas Southern â€“ 6-24 overall, 3-5 SWAC â€“ The Lady Tigers look to continue their tournament fortune from last season, making it to the semifinal round â€¦ are led by Krystal Obi (208 kills, 19 aces, 65 blocks) and Emma Obi (199 kills, 18 aces, 81 blocks).
4. Arkansas-Pine Bluff â€“ 6-15 overall, 2-6 SWAC â€“ The Lady Lions are led by Jasmine Jacobs (205 kills, 172 digs, 18 aces), Tiana McCowan (183 kills, 161 digs, 59 blocks) and Gabrielle Aldridge (655 assists, 138 digs).
1. Mississippi Valley State â€“ 17-16 SWAC, 7-1 SWAC â€“ The Devilettes had a streak of seven straight matches won from September to October â€¦ are guided by Shatara Baydak (391 kills, 51 aces, 312 digs), Chelsey White (680 assists, 119 digs) and Maura Moed (304 kills, 47 aces, 96 blocks).
2. Alabama A&M â€“ 11-8 overall, 6-2 SWAC â€“ The Lady Bulldogs had win streaks of three and six matches during the season â€¦ are led by Brittani Lewis (244 kills, 137 digs, 49 blocks) and Natalie Rodriguez (716 assists, 144 digs, 66 kills).
3. Jackson State â€“ 17-16 overall, 5-3 SWAC â€“ The Lady Tigers have won seven out of their last nine matches including four in a row â€¦ are paced by Corrina Cox (131 kills, 826 assists, 241 digs), Nicole Walker (276 kills, 25 aces, 43 blocks) and Amanda Daniels (356 kills, 81 digs, 64 blocks).
4. Alabama State â€“ 4-24 overall, 2-6 SWAC â€“The Lady Hornets are guided by Shajuana Pina (204 kills, 23 aces, 46 blocks), Jessica Holt (271 kills, 68 blocks, 12 aces) and Arieon Trinity (145 kills, 109 digs, 35 aces).