September is Over: Assessment of Programs

I see this Southern Myopia is back....
Playing two bad teams will do that to you I guess....
I have had the same message since the preseason. SU really only lost 2 starters and got back 4 ineligible players. Everybody was coming back. I felt they really disrespected SU in the preseason poll.

We still don't know yet. Hughes says they are evaluating guys on a week-to-week basis, but that's usually coach speak as far as the QB spot goes.

Oh ok. I had to agree with TigerPride about him because the offense seemed to pick up when he was in the game.

Oh ok. I had to agree with TigerPride about him because the offense seemed to pick up when he was in the game.
When he came in against Grambling, I saw some fire in him. We had a pass on 3rd down that went incomplete, and when he came back to the bench, the cameras caught him ripping off his helmet in frustration, slamming his fist on the bench, etc., etc. That was something we weren't getting out of Ivy. Lyles has stepped up as a vocal leader. That's what's missing from Ivy more than anything else.

Fast forward to last Saturday, and he didn't make the best throws, but the WR's made plays. Big plays. It helps that it was PB (no shade), but that was something that hasn't been happening for us for a while.

When he came in against Grambling, I saw some fire in him. We had a pass on 3rd down that went incomplete, and when he came back to the bench, the cameras caught him ripping off his helmet in frustration, slamming his fist on the bench, etc., etc. That was something we weren't getting out of Ivy. Lyles has stepped up as a vocal leader. That's what's missing from Ivy more than anything else.

Fast forward to last Saturday, and he didn't make the best throws, but the WR's made plays. Big plays. It helps that it was PB (no shade), but that was something that hasn't been happening for us for a while.

He should have started against us.

He should have started against us.
He didn't have such a great Spring, to be honest. He kind of played himself down to 4th string at one point. He redshirted in 2014. He had a car accident in 2015 and broke his hip and missed the entire season. No one really expected much out of him except for JayRob; the rest of us JSU folks had pretty much counted him out. JayRob predicted he'd rise up the depth chart over the course of the season. LOL

He didn't have such a great Spring, to be honest. He kind of played himself down to 4th string at one point. He redshirted in 2014. He had a car accident in 2015 and broke his hip and missed the entire season. No one really expected much out of him except for JayRob; the rest of us JSU folks had pretty much counted him out. JayRob predicted he'd rise up the depth chart over the course of the season. LOL

Damn he broke his hip?

You guys are talking about two different QBs.... see how deep we are Founder.... Actually 3... LOL

Syndicate is talking about Lyles.
Founder is talking about Adams
And I was calling Ivy the 3rd string QB... LOL

You guys are talking about two different QBs.... see how deep we are Founder.... Actually 3... LOL

Oh snap, my bad! LOL.

Lyles is #12; The 3rd year freshman who was in the car accident
Adams is #16; the true freshman who had the TD at the end.

Yea you all are deep and I fully agree but my overall thing is why is Hughes with his football "academic" background not able to motivate JSU. As I said before I'm not giving Hughes the "first year" pass because he was a coach in what can be deemed the best football conference. So to me JSU should not lose a SWAC game.

SU defense is still a work in progress. DB's are playing above expected. Upfront needs to stop the scrambling qb's.
SU offense is mostly focused on 2 receivers, Quinn and Beard. This break may help elevate Menard.
Kickoff and punt coverage needs to improve.
No1 wants to kick deep or punt to Quinn.

Oh snap, my bad! LOL.

Lyles is #12; The 3rd year freshman who was in the car accident
Adams is #16; the true freshman who had the TD at the end.

Ok I'm speaking about #16 then. He should have started. He is the one where I noticed a change in the offense.

I think JSU has a situation similar to GSU when Doug was there. Everyone knew that DJ was not the QB to lead the team. Doug played him anyway. Our backup came in and the offense started to click but Doug sat him. Our third string QB Jonathan Williams came in the next season and got the starting position after we played two games.

Now nepotism is not in play at JSU. But I do feel Hughes is making a mistake by choosing Ivy regardless. Spring training is different than a real game.

Yea you all are deep and I fully agree but my overall thing is why is Hughes with his football "academic" background not able to motivate JSU. As I said before I'm not giving Hughes the "first year" pass because he was a coach in what can be deemed the best football conference. So to me JSU should not lose a SWAC game.
It's gonna take some time. I told myself I'd give him 3 years to get us where I think we should be. It's tough trying to get guys to buy into what you want them to do when they've been doing it a certain way for 4 or 5 years. Thus far, we are right where I thought we'd be at this time. They haven't failed or exceeded my expectations. I just want to see improvement in each game.

I'm only using our most recently played game (against Jackson State) to make a point

We have a running back (#11-Dante McDonald) who's guaranteed to gain at least 5 yards every time he touches the ball. There were 3 times back-to-back-to-back when we were 3&5, but instead of hand-off, we did passing plays.........each time! Also, I noticed that every single time our offense would line up for a passing play, it took forever for our QB (Brandon Duncan) to get the audible! I still have yet to see a consistent hurry-up offense from my folks; the most I saw us go with the hurry option was against Alcorn.

We need help badly! I still don't place all the blame on my boys, but I do place a lot of heavy blame on our coaching.

SAME COACH + SAME PLAYS = SAME RESULTS = SAME SEASON!

I'm only using our most recently played game (against Jackson State) to make a point

We have a running back (#11-Dante McDonald) who's guaranteed to gain at least 5 yards every time he touches the ball. There were 3 times back-to-back-to-back when we were 3&5, but instead of hand-off, we did passing plays.........each time! Also, I noticed that every single time our offense would line up for a passing play, it took forever for our QB (Brandon Duncan) to get the audible! I still have yet to see a consistent hurry-up offense from my folks; the most I saw us go with the hurry option was against Alcorn.

We need help badly! I still don't place all the blame on my boys, but I do place a lot of heavy blame on our coaching.

Hi Lioness. I think your offensive coaching is fine, but at this time your O line play isn't that good. I just don't think Coach White has the O line to execute his scheme.

Ok I'm speaking about #16 then. He should have started. He is the one where I noticed a change in the offense.

I think JSU has a situation similar to GSU when Doug was there. Everyone knew that DJ was not the QB to lead the team. Doug played him anyway. Our backup came in and the offense started to click but Doug sat him. Our third string QB Jonathan Williams came in the next season and got the starting position after we played two games.

Now nepotism is not in play at JSU. But I do feel Hughes is making a mistake by choosing Ivy regardless. Spring training is different than a real game.
I don't think we'll be seeing too much more of Ivy. Look for Lyles or Adams to finish out the season. He's hinted at Lyles being the starter and using Adams in certain packages since he's already burned his redshirt. And Adams could take over full time as the season progresses. Who knows. Then there's Morikawa and Jordan Williams who'll be back from injury soon. I'm not a big fan of either two.

I think Coleman outsmarted himself in the JSU game. The same thing he did against Alcorn, he should've done against JSU. The SWAC ain't like the SEC....what you normally do to beat one team can beat most others. You have to make adjustments, but for the most part, it's the same game plan every week; do what has worked for you.

PB sold out on D against Alcorn, but chose to respect the short passing game against JSU; the years that PB have beat us, they've always found creative ways to dial up blitzes. They didn't do that last week. You always turn up the heat on a new QB starting in his first game. All of that circles back to coaching like you said though. LOL

I think Coleman outsmarted himself in the JSU game. The same thing he did against Alcorn, he should've done against JSU. The SWAC ain't like the SEC....what you normally do to beat one team can beat most others. You have to make adjustments, but for the most part, it's the same game plan every week; do what has worked for you.

PB sold out on D against Alcorn, but chose to respect the short passing game against JSU; the years that PB have beat us, they've always found creative ways to dial up blitzes. They didn't do that last week. You always turn up the heat on a new QB starting in his first game. All of that circles back to coaching like you said though. LOL

I don't know that much about football, so pardon me.:)

I'm not sure that Coach Coleman should have called what he did in our game against Alcorn for Jackson State. While our passing worked well on Alcorn, it had no affect/effect on Jackson State at all. Yes, there were a few long passes to #21 Willie Young and #9 Cody Swain we were able to convert on, but all too soon JState defense caught on and put pressure on both. Because he wasn't/isn't utilized as much, the JState defense forgot about #15 John Hawkins (as I call him, "my clutch baby").

But our run, in my opinion, was more effective/affective against Jackson. #11 (McDonald) reminds me so much of Dwight McKissic. He was able to bust through the defense and give us a good 5,6, 7 yards. There were some Jackson State alum/fans sitting behind me, and they kept asking me about him, hollerin' out, "Don't run, Coleman, throw!" or "Hey #11, yo momma wants you to come home now!":) Too many years we've (UAPB) had better ground games than air. I was happy to see the aerial display against Alcorn, but it was plain as day that it was not for JSU. Pass on the 1st down, maybe, but when it was time to convert on 3rd, especially for short yards, the run definitely should have been utilized.

OVERALL I like how the Defense is playing.
Offense, as well.
Sp team...goes w/o saying.

We need some SIZE in the trenches and some DOGS at LB.

I don't know that much about football, so pardon me.:)

I'm not sure that Coach Coleman should have called what he did in our game against Alcorn for Jackson State. While our passing worked well on Alcorn, it had no affect/effect on Jackson State at all. Yes, there were a few long passes to #21 Willie Young and #9 Cody Swain we were able to convert on, but all too soon JState defense caught on and put pressure on both. Because he wasn't/isn't utilized as much, the JState defense forgot about #15 John Hawkins (as I call him, "my clutch baby").

But our run, in my opinion, was more effective/affective against Jackson. #11 (McDonald) reminds me so much of Dwight McKissic. He was able to bust through the defense and give us a good 5,6, 7 yards. There were some Jackson State alum/fans sitting behind me, and they kept asking me about him, hollerin' out, "Don't run, Coleman, throw!" or "Hey #11, yo momma wants you to come home now!":) Too many years we've (UAPB) had better ground games than air. I was happy to see the aerial display against Alcorn, but it was plain as day that it was not for JSU. Pass on the 1st down, maybe, but when it was time to convert on 3rd, especially for short yards, the run definitely should have been utilized.

You know MORE than a couple of JSU posters. ;-)

Hi Lioness. I think your offensive coaching is fine, but at this time your O line play isn't that good. I just don't think Coach White has the O line to execute his scheme.

Hello V! :)

I don't see it yet, at least not on a consistent level. We have a very good O line. But most of the O line are probably used to the scheme of Coach Anthony Jones, and are probably trying to get that out of their system and learn whatever Coach White is executing. I only know what I see, and what I saw was us trying to throw on 3rd&5 when we should have been running. I also saw us coming out on 1st & 10 trying to throw and go through 2nd and 3rd down on the same plays. No adjustments at all. We're not a play-action team, but our coaches want a long pass for the TD on a short conversion when we should concentrate on conversion back to the 1st down. You'll have 3 times to try again, but we'll use the same play and go through our drive and have our defense right back on the field. Our defense is completely worn out by the half because they're on the field too much.

The way our offense plays, they should NEVER see what our defense is doing. I've been saying this for years: they should be huddled on the bench with the OC going over plays, studying, learning how to get the audible, how to relay the plays, go over clock management, 2-play huddles, etc.

Back