Officials: Hoover spending nearly $100,000 to play powerhouse Allen in Texas

Lol..I agree with @D3zii There aren't too many teams in this part of the country that can beat Katy. Personally, last year I think they were the best team in the Country.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Don't overlook schools like Scottlandville, Zachary, Southern Lab, Edna Karr, and you missing Powerhouse John Curtis from Louisiana.

Dude, you must not know the history of Katy football. "The" Katy Tigers have won 8 State of Texas Football Championships!!!

St. Aug hasn't won at state Championship since the mid 70's when Otis Washington was the Coach! Salmen out of Slidell, beat John Curtis 2 years straight for the state Championship in the 90's and Salmen wouldn't have come close to beating Katy!

Dude, you must not know the history of Katy football. "The" Katy Tigers have won 8 State of Texas Football Championships!!!

St. Aug hasn't won at state Championship since the mid 70's when Otis Washington was the Coach! Salmen out of Slidell, beat John Curtis 2 years straight for the state Championship in the 90's and Salmen wouldn't have come close to beating Katy!
John Curtis is a small school though. Them and Evangel in the past could contend with anyone.

John Curtis is a small school though. Them and Evangel in the past could contend with anyone.
Yes I agree, I remember when Evangel came to Texas to play Longview. I think they split the series but evangel was pretty good

a lot of schools throughout the country would lose to Cedar Hill, there top 10 in the nation year in and year out. Also I don't agree with the last statement. Who from Louisiana would beat Katy? Florida has some teams but I honestly don't know any in Louisiana other than maybe St.Aug or West Monroe
St Aug lmao. Scotlandville beat St Aug 50 something to 7 or so last year. West Monroe didn't win state either. I would put John Curtis up against anybody, but I don't think they won state either. Rummell was considered Louisiana's best team last season, they played a national schedule but lost to Cathloic high In the championship game.

No disrespect but no school you just named. Other then maybe Karr would beat Katy, some of them you just named shouldn't even be on the field with Katy..
Shidddd. Scotlandville can play with anyone. Karr is always talented. John Curtis, Evangel, and Rummell( who has had Louisiana's best team the last 2-3 years) can play with anyone. Add Neville to that list also. They beat the hell out of Karr last year.

And you hit it on the head right there, "John Curtis is a small school though"! School like Katy and Allen are 6A Schools in the State of TX and have too many Athletes to choose from as opposed to JC, St. Aug and Edna Carr.

You could take an All Star Team from the Entire State of LA and Pick and All Star Team from Houston only and the Houston Team would probably win. Why? Because Houston alone has over 6 million people and the entire state of LA is 4.5 million!

Bruh, I'm was born and raised in LA but living here in TX you truly see that High School Football is King. These Suburban Powerhouse Districts like Katy, Allen, Cy Fair, Austin Westlake and Converse Judsons pump major money into Sports.

Katy takes advantage of how watered down Houston is....all the old powers barely can field teams now and these new schools pop up and dilute talent plus charter schools and open enrollment kill the city schools...Katy remains the popular move-in spot in an average district so it's not hard to dominate

check the record books when HISD, FBISD, Aldine, etc. were full strength Katy was not as dominant

Lol..I agree with @D3zii There aren't too many teams in this part of the country that can beat Katy. Personally, last year I think they were the best team in the Country.
Manvel was more talented. Coaching is what separates Katy. I think North Shore will be better this year than they were last year and if I am not mistaken those 2 have to get through each other to make it to state this year due to proposed enrollments.

And you hit it on the head right there, "John Curtis is a small school though"! School like Katy and Allen are 6A Schools in the State of TX and have too many Athletes to choose from as opposed to JC, St. Aug and Edna Carr.

You could take an All Star Team from the Entire State of LA and Pick and All Star Team from Houston only and the Houston Team would probably win. Why? Because Houston alone has over 6 million people and the entire state of LA is 4.5 million!

Bruh, I'm was born and raised in LA but living here in TX you truly see that High School Football is King. These Suburban Powerhouse Districts like Katy, Allen, Cy Fair, Austin Westlake and Converse Judsons pump major money into Sports.
The thing about John Curtis (and Evangel) is they are private schools and recruit players. Back in the day, when everyone played in LHSAA, Curtis could and would whip everyone. People have forgotten Curtis whipped Hoover in Hoover.....but turned around and lost to Euless Trinity the next year.

TBJ, that's exactly the point I've been trying to make. In cases like this it all comes down to the numbers. It's a numbers game. Nobody isn't saying that schools like J. Curtis, St. Aug, Edna Carr or even Hoover aren't good teams, but when you look at the areas and the enrollments of schools like Allen, Katy and Austin Westlake, they will always have an advantage entering into a game.

Last edited:
TBJ, that's exactly the point I've been trying to make. In cases like this it call comes down to the numbers. It's a numbers game. Nobody isn't saying that schools like J. Curtis, St. Aug, Edna Carr or even Hoover aren't good teams, but when you look at the areas and the enrollments of schools like Allen, Katy and Austin Westlake, they will always have an advantage entering into a game.
The numbers game matters not when you recruit who you want like John Curtis and Evangel. If JC and Katy played each other 10 times in consecutive years at worst it would be 6-4 Katy.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The numbers game matters not when you recruit who you want like John Curtis and Evangel. If JC and Katy played each other 10 times in consecutive years at worst it would be 6-4 Katy.
thats exactly what I was saying. A JC team which recruits nearly all of NO and an Evangel team recruiting kids from NW LA and East TX could and would beat some of these powerhouses. Their enrollment is much smaller but they recruit nearly 40 top area players.

Katy takes advantage of how watered down Houston is....all the old powers barely can field teams now and these new schools pop up and dilute talent plus charter schools and open enrollment kill the city schools...Katy remains the popular move-in spot in an average district so it's not hard to dominate

check the record books when HISD, FBISD, Aldine, etc. were full strength Katy was not as dominant

You can say the same thing about Dallas then in regards to Dallas Carter, now they're nothing.

Katy been winning Champioships since the 1950's.

Look at Willowridge, once a power now dead due to Hightower and others being built. Things change Bruh, Jack Yates and Madison a too far behind to catch up......

Last edited:

Please tell them again TBJAG, they letting this home pride stand in the way.

And you've just proven my point. Again, I'm not saying schools like J.C. and Evangel wouldn't be competitive. But depth matters. There are some 6-A schools that field as many as 6 different teams during the football season (3 freshman teams, 2 JV teams and varsity). It is one big farm system with everyone running the same system.

Look at Willowridge, once a power now dead due to Hightower and others being built. Things change Bruh, Jack Yates and Madison a too far behind to catch up......

They sure do. Look at my high school (Aldine Sr.) we won in the 80's and 90's and were atop the high school football powerhouse programs like Katy and Jack Yates of the 80's but new high schools, ever changing school boundaries, flight to the suburbs we look like shit now.

These schools in Texas have A and B Freshman teams, A & B Sophomore teams, one junior varsity team and one varsity teams. That six football teams at one high school.

Think about the talent pool they have outside of the starters alone.

A school like Hoover, AL will be able to compete with Allen due to Hoovers Coaching and more importantly conditioning.

What kills our inner city schools, is not a lack of talent but a lack of Coaching, Conditioning, Nutition and financial support.

Hoover by being able to spend $100K on a game shows they financial support, thu they can pay for all of the aforementioned necessities.

Last edited:
Back