Southern vs Grambling: Game Updates - 4:00pm CT

This classic and last year's just go neck and neck as the best ones I've attended. The atmosphere today was amazing I guess the late start time had something to do with it.

You are right. I had 2002 feelings all week and SU up 20-3 had me worried. Anyway, Fobbs regrouped and took advantage of SU and Odums.

When they went up 20-3 I wasn't worried at all, We always play great football in the 2nd half if down in first. Teams need not to make mistakes against Grambling also that's how they beat u. See y'all in Houston Saturday!!

2017 cant get here quick enough unless he wins the swac I don't see him being the coach after his contract has expired

I still cant get over the call before halftime those refs made. I never seen nothing like that before.
Nick Saban rule. I thought yall still should have had about 8 or 9 seconds left after the 10 second runoff, but Ray Higgins posted that he talked to the coordinator of officials and it was explained that it was the right call because Gram subsituted late in the play clock and had to allow SU to substitute.

I am Still not sure about the timing of the penalty 9though.

Coach Odums is really doing a disservice by letting Shorts play qb at Southern. If Shorts has any dreams of playing at the next level Shorts should switch positions. Morgan number 9 for us is a better qb than Shorts. Morgan can run and pass and his faster. Because it really tick me off when coach wasted a possesion on putting Shorts in the game like Shorts would make a difference. Everybody knows Shorts cannot throw the ball!! Everbody!!

I bet $50 bucks on a Southern to a Grambling man at the game because I always believe that SU is in GSU's mind. When SU was up 20-3, I knew I had my bet won. However, SU's Odums started to take over. Why in world are you taking so many shots when you have a great short passing game and the best running back on the field? Southern really could have been up big at halftime. One thing I see different in the Fobbs' Tigers is that they never give up when the momentum isn't on their side.

I bet $50 bucks on a Southern to a Grambling man at the game because I always believe that SU is in GSU's mind. When SU was up 20-3, I knew I had my bet won. However, SU's Odums started to take over. Why in world are you taking so many shots when you have a great short passing game and the best running back on the field? Southern really could have been up big at halftime. One thing I see different in the Fobbs' Tigers is that they never give up when the momentum isn't on their side.

Just like Coach Rob old teams in the 70s and 80s.

Today's attendance: 62,907
2014 attendace: 57,852
2013 attendance: 47,385
2012 attendance: 45,980
2011 attendance: 40,715
2010 attendance: 43,494
2009 attendance: 53,618
2008 attendance: 59,874
2007 attendance: 53,297
2006 attendance: 47,136 (1st game back in Superdome)
2005 attendance: 53,214 (Hurricane Katrina: Reliant/NRG Stadium, Houston)

Sidenote: In this 10 year span, Grambling holds a 6-4 edge! Folks say "Grambling always loses the Classic, but that is not the case.

They weren't set....ref tried to stop them

My problem is with the time clock starting before the chains were even set. The ref was correct in stepping in to stop play like he did. There is a rule that if the offense subs, you must allow the defense the chance to get players in too. My question is why send in a different offensive package to "spike" the ball... that's on Grambling.

Again though, if the refs would have not started the play clock until the chains were set, we would not have had a delay of game.

Nick Saban rule. I thought yall still should have had about 8 or 9 seconds left after the 10 second runoff, but Ray Higgins posted that he talked to the coordinator of officials and it was explained that it was the right call because Gram subsituted late in the play clock and had to allow SU to substitute.

I am Still not sure about the timing of the penalty 9though.

That is the rule... my disagreement is that time should have stopped to set the chains for the first down. I don't think it was... but I will have to go back and watch the tape of it. A difference of 3 seconds gives us time after the penalty to get the field goal team out there for a kick.

Folks say "SU is in Grambling's head" but in the past 10 years the record is 6-4 Grambling! We had our foot on SU's neck with Broadway as the last 3 Bayou Classics of his tenure weren't even competitive past halftime. Once the change was made, the next 4 years resulted in SU losing the first year of after he left before running off 3 straight as our program fell off before last year when we almost pulled off a remarkable comeback to force OT. This "in Grambling's Head" talk is just some folks perception.

Sidenote: In this 10 year span, Grambling holds a 6-4 edge! Folks say "Grambling always loses the Classic, but that is not the case.

Yup. Tail end of the Pete Richardson era and the Stump Mitchell experiment.

My problem is with the time clock starting before the chains were even set. The ref was correct in stepping in to stop play like he did. There is a rule that if the offense subs, you must allow the defense the chance to get players in too. My question is why send in a different offensive package to "spike" the ball... that's on Grambling.

Again though, if the refs would have not started the play clock until the chains were set, we would not have had a delay of game.

I noticed that.....they had been doing that all game as if they needed the game to move fast ....It was a few times I asked why is the clock moving and the chains are not set.

That is the rule... my disagreement is that time should have stopped to set the chains for the first down. I don't think it was... but I will have to go back and watch the tape of it. A difference of 3 seconds gives us time after the penalty to get the field goal team out there for a kick.
The clock did stop. The chains do not have to be set for the game clock to restart. The ball just has to be set and the referee gives the ready signal.

The issue is really on the play clock operator. There is no way the clock was reset to 40 seconds after that play was blown dead. Just rewatched that sequence.

Last edited:
Back