Southern vs Grambling: Game Updates - 4:00pm CT

The issue is really on the play clock operator. There is no way the clock was reset to 40 seconds after that play was blown dead. Just rewatched that sequence.

That's what I was thinking too. I thought I saw 28 seconds on the game clock when the play was made and no way could they get a delay of game penalty (40 seconds) when they should have had the remainder of the game clock left on the play. I also wondered why NBCSN didn't go back and review the whole play along with the game clock & play clock. They ask Fobbs about it but didn't investigate it themselves. They may have actually found it but didn't want to make the officials look bad on that call and didn't show it.

The play clock wasn't reset. It sat at zero for a min before they even called the delay of game. The clock operator was the issue.
It had to have been reset. The play clock is set on the whistle that blows the previous play dead. I'm thinking it was set to 25 seconds instead of 40, which is wrong.

My problem is with the time clock starting before the chains were even set. The ref was correct in stepping in to stop play like he did. There is a rule that if the offense subs, you must allow the defense the chance to get players in too. My question is why send in a different offensive package to "spike" the ball... that's on Grambling.

Again though, if the refs would have not started the play clock until the chains were set, we would not have had a delay of game.
That is the bottom line.

Folks say "SU is in Grambling's head" but in the past 10 years the record is 6-4 Grambling! We had our foot on SU's neck with Broadway as the last 3 Bayou Classics of his tenure weren't even competitive past halftime. Once the change was made, the next 4 years resulted in SU losing the first year of after he left before running off 3 straight as our program fell off before last year when we almost pulled off a remarkable comeback to force OT. This "in Grambling's Head" talk is just some folks perception.
What about the last 5? Or the last 20? I believe the perception (on this board) is when grambling had better teams and faltered in the Classic.
1994 - a 1 loss gram team had secured the SWAC, only to have Nord throw 3 pick 6.
2002 - gram had secured the west only to have a middle of the pack SU team beat gram 48-24
2003 - both teams were solid. I don't see why the perception was there.
2007 - Broadway's 1st year. He learned quickly.

Everyone on here knows the "perception", but it doesn't mean it's reality. The "perception" is maybe when either team has the better record, the team with the better record overlooks their opponent.

What about the last 5? Or the last 20? I believe the perception (on this board) is when grambling had better teams and faltered in the Classic.
1994 - a 1 loss gram team had secured the SWAC, only to have Nord throw 3 pick 6.
2002 - gram had secured the west only to have a middle of the pack SU team beat gram 48-24

Everyone on here knows the "perception", but it doesn't mean it's reality. The "perception" is maybe when either team has the better record, the team with the better record overlooks their opponent.

Thank You ! I have seen my share of Dome Meltdowns. I Love Gsu to death but that dome has had strange things happen to Us. Plucking a small sample is just trying to psyche one's self out.

We were down 13 before I could even sit in my seat in the dome. Down 20-3 at one point in the game.

Last edited:

It goes both ways. There was CLEARLY a time when we had our foot on SU's neck (per your words) prior to 1993. Yet, that is never spoken about it. We started losing when Defensive Coordinator Fred Collins was relieved of his duties after the 1992 season when Pete Richardson came to SU.

Yes we faltered in games but so did SU. There is a reason why the Bayou Classic is tied....there is also a reason why Southern has us by 6 in the overall match up.

Back