Boombox Classic Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durell

Kingin On Dem B.....s
Mane.. Whats up with the Juke this year?
Showing up late for the zero quarter and still got creamed... They even got booed for that abysmal halftime performance. The Boom finished em off by the end of the 5th.

CAN WE SAY 2 L's back to back!

Last edited:
Man U sound crazy . An why y'all always send the police to ask us to leave . Why cause the juke was bring it to y'all again. Good nite

Mane.. Whats up with the Juke this year?
Showing up late for the zero quarter and still got creamed... They even got booed for that abysmal halftime performance. The Boom finished em off by the end of the 5th.

CAN WE SAY 2 L's back to back!
Thats what I said. IT shocked me about them showing up late and then halftime there own fans didn't even cheer until they played do what u wanna. They got there azz handed to tonight and I'm glad they want be n da SWAC championship cause they azz getting a lil boring now.

Man U sound crazy . An why y'all always send the police to ask us to leave . Why cause the juke was bring it to y'all again. Good nite
If u think SU was bringing anything last night then ur right to say goodnight because u are dearly tired and need rest. SU brought a boring whack azz performance. Trust me I can tell when y'all bring y'all a game cause y'all fans want let u here the end of IT at da game but y'all where quite and baffled 75 percent of the entire game.

With all of the negativity around blacks and the cops, the leadership of the sonic boom orders the police to penetrate an opposing HBCU band to order them to leave?
WTH is that?
If you don't want to play no more, just leave. I'm sure the Juke would have left after you. None of you all play until you run out of songs anymore.
After all of black strugles and black unity messages in the shows, these black folks send black police to potentially do something totally stupid and uncalled for just to end what is currently call "5th Quarter"?
People, are we serious?
That was beyond disappointing. From one Mississippian to those at JSU; From one HBCU band enthusiast to those at JSU; From one HBCU graduate to those at JSU, that was extremely disgraceful to us as a Black race, as bandsmen, as HBCU band enthusiasts, and as HBCU graduates.
Thank God that unresponsible decision didn't lead to something that harmed any of the bandmen or any of the JSU and/or SU fans over there. Thanks God it didn't lead to something that would have gone viral on the news and/or the Internet/social media.
I don't what has become of HBCU bands and their relationships with one another, you all better get your egos and accountability in check with the quickness before you cause something you can't live with and will regret for as long as you will live.
As the leadership, you are planting seeds for those under your leadership to apply to their life as adults. Sending armed police to force a band to stop playing, especially blacks, is a very irresponsible lesson to send to the 200 plus students that you influence daily.
And these black police run over as though this was a legitimate request. Really? How about asking to speak to the Director to inform him of your request and his need to comply promptly. We initially thought a problem was developing on the other side of the band and they were moving in to protect the directors. But mumorings started revealing they were positioning to force Southern to leave, while there were no cops in the opposing stands. WTH...
I know the country has degraded in a lot of ways, but it is shocking to witness we have degraded to this disgraceful level as an HBCU family.
To any bandsmen in either band, please know this should never be how you address anything this ordinary and routine when you have leadership decisions in the future. Nothing good can come out of it and in most cases only tragedy will be derived from it. Do not honor this stupidity with your support in your future. Learn and reflect, instead, on all of the lessons from the black history lessons from both halftime performances.

I never did understand why Jackson insists on limiting the 5th quarter to 3 rounds. In most cases in the SWAC, the 5th quarter is usually 5 rounds and that's how it was during my years in band when we went to Jackson. When and why did that change? I couldn't believe that the cops really went into the stands to show force just to stop the band from playing 1 song.

Last edited:
How is marching in 50 minutes before the game considered late? Also SU punished JSU in the stands, y'all had to send the police over to stop us from continuing the onslaught. The field show was great( the drill was nice), of course we're going to get booed by JSU fans when we're performing our dance routine to your side. We sounded great and played all night. Also, I'll admit that JSU did a good job on the field (bout time) the drill was nice although I still think better drill design would stop them from having squads run to their spots. SU and JSU are clearly the top 2 bands in the HBCU world, and both will throw blows at each other. It all comes down to preference.

Last edited:
A marching band primary focus should be halftime not the stands. The bands had Crankfest in New Orleans, Zero quarter and halftime to showcase their talents. An extended 5th quarter just wasn't necessary, people use common sense here!

Jackson State DID THE RIGHT THING!
sbed_sign_goodnite_100-100.gif

Last edited:
I never did understand why Jackson insists on limiting the 5th quarter to 3 rounds. In most cases in the SWAC, the 5th quarter is usually 5 rounds and that's how it was during my years in band when we went to Jackson. When and why did that change? I couldn't believe that the cops really went into the stands to show force just to stop the band from playing 1 song.

It says a lot.

I don't care if somebody decided there would be no songs played, just leave.
We, as a people, should never be so dumb and irresponsible in our actions to send armed police to something this simply and fun. Police are and have for decades been killing blacks without being sent to address a problem. Sending them to this is totally irresponsible.
If we as a people have allowed ourselves to disrespect each other to this level, we may as well shut our doors and allow The Man's system and the schools designed for his education to be our only option
I'm just glad no one ended up getting injured or killed over that mess and nothing popped off to be all over broadcast and social media.
What's even more disappointing is the fact that all ya'll care about is how many songs somebody has played. The fact that a black school placed another black school and the fans of both schools in danger at the hands of black cops don't matter to you. Wow!!!
I don't know when we as a people started this deterioration and why we, as a people didn't stop it, but it speaks volumes to where HBCU alums have fallen and maybe where Blacks have fallen.
I've loved going to the SU vs JSU game since I first performed there in 1985 and left the field with every butt on its feet cheering for our performance. The competition on the field and in the stands was fierce, competitive and highly respecful. But somewhere in the 2000s elements of unsafe and out of controlness have creeped in and disrespect has definitely risen. Now, university staff has dipped to the levels of sending armed police in to stop a band from playing.
The entire situation is sad, disappointing and embarrassing, especially for educated HBCU alums and musicians. We are supposed to be way above those low Willie Lynch influenced acts and thoughts.

This game was again like I said, JSU runs and make a thread to (lie) about what happened. Everybody that's not with JSU knows this battle was one-sided once again.

This game is truly over-hyped, again nothing was played by JSU to see Liberian Girl...if so please post the clip...

SU out-drilled the piss out JSU, smh

Man I'm waiting for Alcorn, this battle has taken a back-seat..

To put it plain and simple. JSU don't wanna battle SU. They pull all of these shenanigans to prevent the band from getting in early, preventing true 5th quarters, ect. It's pretty hilarious actually.

Man bruh ion care what y'all say SU ass lost they lost and guess what they lost damn yea wait on Alcorn to beat them but as for JSU this year SU lost

SU could have marched in right after us if they were there but they decided to leave. Not our fault lol. Y'all stop us from marching in Mumford early every year so y'all can save all that bull lol. If y'all wasn't ready no need to blame it on us lmao. Just take your L and move on. It's ok to cry sometimes.

SU could have marched in right after us if they were there but they decided to leave. Not our fault lol. Y'all stop us from marching in Mumford early every year so y'all can save all that bull lol. If y'all wasn't ready no need to blame it on us lmao. Just take your L and move on. It's ok to cry sometimes.

Tell me something
What was the best song in the zero quarter

What was the best song in the 5th

Who had the best drill

Lol

Man face the truth, this battle is over-hyped by JSU

Notice SU only brought out 2 new songs..they don't even consider y'all worthy enough to open up their book,

Those 2 new songs pissed on anything y'all played that whole night breh smh

Alcorn got y'all spot mane..

Only thing that was worth a dayum from yall were them tubas lol

Reactions: JR
Man bruh ion care what y'all say SU ass lost they lost and guess what they lost damn yea wait on Alcorn to beat them but as for JSU this year SU lost

Give me two songs by JSU this year that is seeing any of SU two new songs they played
All I need and Liberian Girl

I'll wait..
Them two new songs pissed on JSU whole night..
Give it a week and those two songs will have more YT views than anything JSU has played all year Lol..man get out of here..
Y'all ain't even seeing none of the so called old songs SU played Lol..don't play yourself, this battle is over-hyped by JSU ppl
We on to Alcorn manes

First off, get outcha feelings about your band taking a loss... Second, anyone (from SU with common sense) that was sitting directly across from the Boom would have witnessed JSU director of bands walk across during the 3rd quarter to communicate the message to SU director. Three and out..

Then once the 5th started, Sanford stood on the field directly in front of SU band giving the 3 and out signal to Haymer.
But of course we know SOME people(wink wink) don't know how to follow orders. So enforcement had to step in... One more thing, this 3 and out rule is NOT coming from the JSU band staff. Jackson Police and the city of Jackson is making that call because safety concerns. You can't have fans fighting on the field and in the stands during a band battle (5th quarter 2010) and expect theses officers to put their lives in danger in the midst of a big commotion. JSU stadium is NOT on campus, so there's only so much the band staff could do. These officers have communities and neighborhoods to patrol. Common sense people. Dang

Tell me something
What was the best song in the zero quarter

What was the best song in the 5th

Who had the best drill

Lol

Man face the truth, this battle is over-hyped by JSU

Notice SU only brought out 2 new songs..they don't even consider y'all worthy enough to open up their book,

Those 2 new songs pissed on anything y'all played that whole night breh smh

Alcorn got y'all spot mane..

Only thing that was worth a dayum from yall were them tubas lol

Just accept the L bro lol. No need to be upset with us about it. It is what it is. If you feel that way then kudos. The way it's lookin Alcorn bout to hand y'all a decent sized L too lmao. Keep up lil bro.

Just accept the L bro lol. No need to be upset with us about it. It is what it is. If you feel that way then kudos. The way it's lookin Alcorn bout to hand y'all a decent sized L too lmao. Keep up lil bro.

Lol ok been

I've accepted that you didn't answer any of those questions, not only did you not answer, you didn't even post a clip from your band to rebute the questions Lol.
Sheesh

First off, get outcha feelings about your band taking a loss... Second, anyone (from SU with common sense) that was sitting directly across from the Boom would have witnessed JSU director of bands walk across during the 3rd quarter to communicate the message to SU director. Three and out..

Then once the 5th started, Sanford stood on the field directly in front of SU band giving the 3 and out signal to Haymer.
But of course we know SOME people(wink wink) don't know how to follow orders. So enforcement had to step in... One more thing, this 3 and out rule is NOT coming from the JSU band staff. Jackson Police and the city of Jackson is making that call because safety concerns. You can't have fans fighting on the field and in the stands during a band battle (5th quarter 2010) and expect theses officers to put their lives in danger in the midst of a big commotion. JSU stadium is NOT on campus, so there's only so much the band staff could do. These officers have communities and neighborhoods to patrol. Common sense people. Dang
Cool story bro lol

Who cares
More rounds wouldn't have matter Lol
SU Liberian Girl pissed on anything y'all played that entire day but thanks for the story

Dude, you started a whole thread for this? Fighting actual crime is far more important for Jackson police officers than monitoring bands. Come on man. And then you got the nerve to talk about killings and crime?
The job of the police is to fight crime and prevent killings in all of Jackson, NOT patrol two bands most of the night.

If they say three songs, then limit it to THREE songs, and disperse. When you're at Mumford, you can stay as long as you like, but you weren't in Mumford. It's just that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back