Yes another Deion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe the social media era - but imagine HBCU football when Jerry Rice was playing, Grambling State was dominant and they were drawing crowds without the extra hype

When McNair played the hype was there - especially as a senior - ESPN2 was his own channel as they moved games to Jackson before the stadium opened just to showcase him

there were a lot of "cash" transactions so we never now what was made lol
The difference is…Those are players and a random John and Jane Doe didn’t know much about them in college. Deion is like Snoop Dog - everyone knows him.

The difference is…Those are players and a random John and Jane Doe didn’t know much about them in college. Deion is like Snoop Dog - everyone knows him.

Folks knew about McNair - he was on sports illustrated and that elevated him mainstream - and that was without social media - there was a black college show on regular espn in the 90s - he finished 3rd in the heisman for a reason

But yes Deion has created a buzz (coaching speculations helped big time) but part of it the swac west came down to the wire which made it more exciting at the end

Folks knew about McNair - he was on sports illustrated and that elevated him mainstream - and that was without social media - there was a black college show on regular espn in the 90s - he finished 3rd in the heisman for a reason

But yes Deion has created a buzz (coaching speculations helped big time) but part of it the swac west came down to the wire which made it more exciting at the end

You are definitely correct about McNair. CNN was following him around on Saturdays and keeping the country abreast of what he was doing. I would tune in at 10 minutes to the top of the hour to find out what was happening back then (that is when CNN would do their sports report back in the day).

You are definitely correct about McNair. CNN was following him around on Saturdays and keeping the country abreast of what he was doing. I would tune in at 10 minutes to the top of the hour to find out what was happening back then (that is when CNN would do their sports report back in the day).

You also had sports view magazine also and every national outlet covering him - also at that time the Bayou Classic was a few years into the nbc contact and that was major then - there were more sellouts in the 80s and 90s also so in some instances fans were into it more cause of the coverage

Think about it - the classics that have failed such as the circle city, St. Louis anything in Cali were well attended and major events in the 90s

Props the Deion Sanders. The Jackson State job is now extremely attractive, and they can easily land another good coach to take over something that was set up for great things.

Props the Deion Sanders. The Jackson State job is now extremely attractive, and they can easily land another good coach to take over something that was set up for great things.

It always was - the behind the scenes folks who helped sanders make moves made it look even better - problem is will they leave the next man the same resources?

You also had sports view magazine also and every national outlet covering him - also at that time the Bayou Classic was a few years into the nbc contact and that was major then - there were more sellouts in the 80s and 90s also so in some instances fans were into it more cause of the coverage

Think about it - the classics that have failed such as the circle city, St. Louis anything in Cali were well attended and major events in the 90s
Couldn’t believe when I read the Circle City was no more.

You’re preaching to the choir. I’ve been watching great things since the 70’s. I just don’t feel like putting too much into these topics nowadays. I’ve been educating for decades in this forum in spite of all the ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back