Will Smith smacks Chris Rock at the Oscars !?#$@

Status
Not open for further replies.

Standing Ovation Applause GIF by The Maury Show

Will Smith!

I think Will has been holding that in for the last few years (especially since the whole entanglement thing went public) and it all just came out in that moment.

I think Will has been holding that in for the last few years (especially since the whole entanglement thing went public) and it all just came out in that moment.
About 5 minutes after it all went down when I realized that this was not staged, I thought to myself, there is more to this story.

In my opinion, they both were wrong.
I agree. I think Will should have handled this backstage, or at one of those after parties. But, hey, Chris opened that door and Will walked in. I mean, Chris did it in public so Will handled it in public.

I think comedians/comediennes can go too far sometimes. Like @Herbert77060 said, everything is not fair game.

To a certain extent, I had the same opinion about the late great Paul Mooney. Not quite the same, but Paul Mooney could go too far sometimes.

Oh, and Mo'Nique is another one.

I agree. I think Will should have handled this backstage, or at one of those after parties. But, hey, Chris opened that door and Will walked in. I mean, Chris did it in public so Will handled it in public.

I think comedians/comediennes can go too far sometimes. Like @Herbert77060 said, everything is not fair game.

To a certain extent, I had the same opinion about the late great Paul Mooney. Not quite the same, but Paul Mooney could go too far sometimes.

Oh, and Mo'Nique is another one.

How did Chris go too far though? He's a comedian. Thats what they do. The joke was tame. Has he acknowledged that he knew she had alopecia? Is Jada arrogant enough to believe that everyone knows her condition? (The answer to that is yes,lol)

How did Chris go too far though? He's a comedian. Thats what they do. The joke was tame. Has he acknowledged that he knew she had alopecia? Is Jada arrogant enough to believe that everyone knows her condition? (The answer to that is yes,lol)
“These just jokes” don’t work on everybody. If the recipient don’t think what you’re saying is funny, then you better be prepared for whatever response you get.

I don’t condone what he did but I understand. That being said if I was Will I would have used my acceptance speech to verbally slap Chris instead of physically. While at the same time educating him and the rest of the world about not crossing certain lines. Like making fun of something that’s out of one’s control. Like an autoimmune disease.

How did Chris go too far though? He's a comedian. Thats what they do.
Storm, with all due respect, but I must respectfully disagree. Comedians can and do go too far sometimes. That's what they do, well, that is correct, but that don't mean that some things are not meant to be joked about.

Hypothetically speaking, if a white comedian got up in front of the whole world live on the Oscars, and in a jokingly way said something about Black people and used the "N" word, would you think that was ok? I mean he is just a comedian, that what they do. Not quite the same thing, I know that, but I hope you get my point.

“These just jokes” don’t work on everybody. If the recipient don’t think what you’re saying is funny, then you better be prepared for whatever response you get.
I joke with my students but those jokes are predicated on relationship. I know who I can joke with and who I can't. I don't have that type of relationship w/ all my students. I had one get mad b/c I called him by his brother's name that I taught the year before. He gave me the look and I told him I was joking and I was sorry and kept it moving.
Chris Rock knows what kind of relationship he has with the Smiths. If it is bad as has been reported he should have known it would know it wouldn't go over well, but maybe figured.... what r they going to do? we're on national tv. that didn't work out too well.

Me myself, I would have let him know from my seat that wasn't cool or 2. decided we didn't need to be there and we'd have left right then and there. I would not have thrown hands. that is reserved for life threatening situations in my book.

Last edited:
I think this was planned.
It's hard to explain how an overgrown black man could see another man approaching him, with bad intentions, from forty or more feet out and do nothing to protect himself. It seems that you might be on to something about this being planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back