Why can't HBCU's have swim programs?

Finding local conferences that support swimming is the main problem. A&T ended their swim team bcuz of that. Howard is lucky enough to have a sister conference who supports swimming
They swim against schools in the DMV. American University, George Town, St Mary’s, UMBC, VMI

It costs alot of money to run a swim program. FAMU cut it’s men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams in 2005 and just demolished and filled the pool facility in this past spring and sitting dormant for YEARS.

E08QStOVgAoHScQ

Morehouse College had a championship swim team back in the day.
Actor Samuel Jackson was even on the swimteam.
The program was discontinued in the 70's unfortunately along
with several other HBCU swim programs.

HBCUs had swim and gymnastic teams back in the day. Three guys on this team came from my high school.

View attachment 15650
I met Johnny Means during an Evaluation Trip to the Texas National Guard. I stopped by a Club on Old Spanish Trail and got to meet the owner. In addition, patrons were mostly from TSU. When Coach Means met me from Alabama A&M. He said when AAMU came to TSU, he had a great team. He said he told his swimmers we are going to teach A&M a lesson, but he underestimated Coach Wycoff. He said Wycoff taught him a lesson about swimming. Enjoyed my visits to Houston. On one visit the hotel lobby was crowded, because they were expecting the Champ Holyfield and I showed up. LOL

I met Johnny Means during an Evaluation Trip to the Texas National Guard. I stopped by a Club on Old Spanish Trail and got to meet the owner. In addition, patrons were mostly from TSU. When Coach Means met me from Alabama A&M. He said when AAMU came to TSU, he had a great team. He said he told his swimmers we are going to teach A&M a lesson, but he underestimated Coach Wycoff. He said Wycoff taught him a lesson about swimming. Enjoyed my visits to Houston. On one visit the hotel lobby was crowded, because they were expecting the Champ Holyfield and I showed up. LOL

Lol - did the crowd stay?

Back