Why can't HBCU's have swim programs?

buckwheat1911

Howard is the only HBCU still holding on to their Swim and Dive program. My son has been to two of Howard's swim camps this summer. He was there this past weekend for the last camp for the summer. Coach Nic at Howard is recruiting black kids heavily to join the program. A few HBCU's had swim teams years ago. A&T cancelled their program a few years ago. Is it that our schools don't have the funding and facilities to support the programs. There are many black kids out there swimming that would love to go to HBCU's and swim.

Howard University is the only HBCU left with a Division I swimming and diving program, leaving the team with a responsibility to do more than just win competitions —it has to win over more African Americans to the sport.

To my knowledge most college swim teams & conferences are up north. It's not popular enough

Last edited:

Cue to Ojays song -

Surely you're now asking the athletic department to add pool maintenance, scholarships, salaries, etc. to the budget and if you don't have a regulation pool designed for swimming that's possibly a new cost

then you're only going to make minimal cash at the door if your team is lucky to have a local kid or two

Finding local conferences that support swimming is the main problem. A&T ended their swim team bcuz of that. Howard is lucky enough to have a sister conference who supports swimming

We don't have certain programs at our schools because the few revenue sports we do have don't bring in enough money to support them. Nor do we have fans and/or alumni contributions. Also, the administration needs to do a better job of expressing their wishes and desires.

Back