Who will win the SWAC Men's and Women tournament

uapbpower

Who will win the SWAC Men's and Women Basketball tournament

This year it seems like any team on a given night can win one or two games and make it to the championship. A sleeper to make it to the finals is Arkansas-Pine Bluff because they have played all the SWAC teams tough. But don't count out A-State but it seems like SU has owned them. Besides SU and Grambling its a toss-up but one thing I can say is that Grambling is a good team. What do you think?? Who will win on the Women side??? Its the same way on the women side. A toss-up!

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

I can say Bama St and SU on the Men's Side. On the Women side Jackson St and SU.

I will be at the tourny. Who else will be their? I agree with the any team on any given night. :nod:

the best team in the conference is southern. though I have other teams I selfishly would like see win the tourney and go to the dance, southern would probably be the best representitve for the conference. they have the highest power ranking, #220 and highest rpi, 135 of any swac school. if some other conferences spring upsets in their tourney maybe they could escape the play in game. as for alcorn. I love'm but I don't want them to have much sucess in the tourney. I dont think sam west has gotten it done and an appearance in the swac final could encourage the admin to keep him around. He's probably a great guy, but just not a great head coach for alcorn. legit shot at the title: su, bama state, jsu, & aamu in no particular order.

best on the womens side is again...su. they've got to be consistant. they provide the best shot to win a tourney game.

On the men's side, I would pick J-State, Xram, Bama St. or SU.
Women, Bama St., JSU, Valley or SU.

SU's men have been winning but they haven't put teams away like they
should. In most games, teams have come back from double-digit deficits
to make a close game out of it. SU needs to put these games away.

The women have been inconsistent all season. Ro is leading with the
scoring but her % is low. Overall, the team needs to play better. The
ladies are slipping.

To the comment about Grambling having a good team... I just don't agree. GSU shows me nothing outside of the fact that Brion Rush has pretty good success at making 20 out of the 70 shots he takes every night. lol.

sorry about that...

my opinion....

MEN
I've seen all of the SWAC teams and I have to say that Southern is the most SOLID team in the conference. I'm glad we won't have to play them in the first round, at least it doesn't look that way.

Also, you have to give the Bama schools a fighting chance, because the tourney is in Alabama, so no matter how good or bad AAMU and ASU are, they will have a major advantage point blank. Atleast one of the Bamas will be in the final 4...

Outside of that I hope we (JSU) can play the role of the sleeper at this year's tourney. We match up well with everybody in the conference, with the exception of Southern. Our big men will have to play BIG in a championship game between us and Southern. Right now looking at that... I think it will be tough, ..... Ernest Hassell has been playing injured all season... and re-aggravated that injury not long ago, our other big contributer (Jeremy Caldwell) is just a freshman. ... I think riding Caldwell in a game against SU will be alot to ask a true freshman. I'm waiting for SENIORS Hilton Tompkins and Rod Smith to play like something, we will definetly need them in a championship game. Trey is going to be Trey and he will always make himself a factor in the game.

In these tournaments you never can tell, but if I had to pick a final four (which in itself is tough, because you never know the seedings)... Right now i'd say

SOUTHERN
JAKCSON STATE
ASU or AAMU
GRAMBLING

everybody else is garbage. ...sorry.

WOMEN

Southern and Jackson State should meet in the championship. I don't know what the hell has gotten into our women's team... .When the season started they could never put a complete game together, when you look at the fact that the games they did lose (SWAC) were by an average of about 3 points.... they are playing pretty good ball.

JSU has a young team, so it will interesting to see how they handle the pressure. If they play focused basketball they should meet SU in the title game.... Just like with the men, i'd throw the 2 bama teams in there as my other two final four...

JACKSON STATE
SOUTHERN
ALABAMA STATE
ALABAMA A&M

-------- I think Jackson State and Southern will leave B-Ham with a SWAC Championship....not sure which team MEN-WOMEN will get it though. lol.

Don't count MVSU Women out. :nod: P.S dayummmmmmmmmm Shelita Burns :ebrow: ....... and she can play. :nod:

Jaguar94 said:
On the men's side, I would pick J-State, Xram, Bama St. or SU.
Women, Bama St., JSU, Valley or SU.

SU's men have been winning but they haven't put teams away like they
should. In most games, teams have come back from double-digit deficits
to make a close game out of it. SU needs to put these games away.

The women have been inconsistent all season. Ro is leading with the
scoring but her % is low. Overall, the team needs to play better. The
ladies are slipping.
well chemistry, but he!! Fredreicka and Indi played good Monday. If Dreka get her 12+ points, and Indi play Defense like she played then Coach Sandy will not have to complain about her post people. They played outstanding ball Monday, and the sleeper Freshman are Deidra Jackson that girl can shoot the cover off the rock, also Ashton Jones. If she can get comfortable inside like she have always been all season she will have about 10 points+ the remainder of the season. the Guards gonna be themselves. The will make some noise in the dance. :nod:

I will post my top 2 on Tuesday, Saturday and Mondays games will tell all.

Right now

Women

SU, JSU and ASU.

Men

SU, ASU and AAMU

The only teams I have not seen play this year are MVSU,TSU and PVU.
I judge a team on how they execute. And to me the best execution I've seen so far is JSU. They are really smooth. The other teams I saw play against UAPB did not handle the pressure well. I know Southern is number 1 but UAPB outscored them 43-25 in the 2nd half. But to answer your question I think it's wide open. The luckiest team will win the tournament. It's really crazy right now in the SWAC for men and women.

Too Big, Too Fast, and Too Strong...........I just don't see anyone but Southern U. winning on the men's side

On the woman side, I am going to go with S.U. also...............but.........I am very disappointed in this team. I expected them to be much more dominating. I feel like they cheated themselves in the off season.

JROCK said:
Too Big, Too Fast, and Too Strong...........I just don't see anyone but Southern U. winning on the men's side

On the woman side, I am going to go with S.U. also...............but.........I am very disappointed in this team. I expected them to be much more dominating. I feel like they cheated themselves in the off season.
JROCK I feel ya on the Women side. I expected them to be really dangerous but they have 7 more games. I am going to see after Saturday what Coach Pugh really done. She was talking about the post people, but Fredreika scored 12 points against UAPB, and than had a DD with 18 points and 10 rebounds against MVSU. Indi Johnson gonna be Indi, but yet is still trying to fight her ankle injury. She had 9 points and 13 rebounds against UAPB, and 6 points and 6 rebounds against MVSU. Ashton gonna be her, but is gonna be really hard to stop. when gets the ball she positions herself for a nice shot, but don't get them to fall, but I will look for her to make some noise in the tourney, or in one of the final games this regular season. The Guards...well Ro gone get her 15+ a game, and Deidra Jackson gonna continue to come off the bench to get her 10+ every game. Ciara Shiggs gonna do her thing when she's left open. :nod: Forwards......Krystal Huggins & Ashley Blake is dominating for SU, but Blake is not playing more. LaToya Hill is gonna be herself like she always does. I missed Adrian Blake in the guards when she gets the rock she gonna find a way to get the rock through the basket.

MEN'S

As J stated... BIG, FAST, AND TO STRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SU just needs to find a way to put teams away, and quit letting them come back from 19 points down. Once this stop occuring than the SWAC will be swept by SU Men & Women. :nod
:

I say it's still wide open and who's hot at the time....if TSU would've made a tourney run last season they had the team to win it because they were hot.

AAMU is the most talented team that's playing bad now.....they could end up on the SU side of the bracket and end up causing major trouble

Jacksson can cause problems but teams that have good guard and someone to hold the inside can beat them like TSU did the other night.

----------------

as for the women, it's wide open if you ask me.....any of the top teams can play with each other. Jackson State is the hottest team now but Valley can throw a wrench in plans...so can Pine Bluff.

Jag-BR said:
I will be at the tourny. Who else will be their? I agree with the any team on any given night. :nod:

I will be there just like I have the last 15 years or so (along with a contingent of other TSU grads), even though our team may not be there.

$Bill said:
I will be there just like I have the last 15 years or so (along with a contingent of other TSU grads), even though our team may not be there.
I hope SU fans support them this year. The finals yall please come out to support SU for one last time in BHAM. I hope they move it to Biloxi. :nod:

Women, MVSU, we have given SU a serious scare the both times we played them. I think the 3rd time will be the charm. We got a great backcout in #21 Mazique and #22 West. We all know in the SWAC anything can happen.

Re: Who will win the SWAC Men's and Women Basketball tournament

uapbpower said:
But don't count out A-State but it seems like SU has owned them.
Obviously, your "A-State" must mean Alcorn State, cause SU definitely hasn't "owned" Alabama State.

Right now, the hottest team in the league is ASU (and that's Alabama State University)

Thanks to espnu and cstv, I've got to see quite a few SWAC teams in action. Still waiting to see a true center with skills.

The tournament will come down to which officiating Crew you get for your games. We have players who can make plays that some officiating crews have never seen before and have egg on their face when they blow the calls. On many occasions, I have seen players given the ball out of bounds instead of calling a foul, we see officials calling things out of position and when coaches say something they say things like it was not in my area. I hope we get some good managed games. It has nothing to do with how much we pay our officials but if you put on the stripes give the players your best. I would be willing to bet that if the fans could pick the officials from the crews we have seen we would pick the best of them.

What happened to the lady official who was so good that called the finals last year?

mighty hornet said:
Still waiting to see a true center with skills.

You're gonna' be waiting for a lil' while MH. But, I did like what I saw last Sun morning from AlaSU's ctr. :tup: (tenacity)

Panthro said:
You're gonna' be waiting for a lil' while MH. But, I did like what I saw last Sun morning from AlaSU's ctr. :tup: (tenacity)

Bama St had a center?

mighty hornet said:
Obviously, your "A-State" must mean Alcorn State, cause SU definitely hasn't "owned" Alabama State.

Right now, the hottest team in the league is ASU (and that's Alabama State University)

Thanks to espnu and cstv, I've got to see quite a few SWAC teams in action. Still waiting to see a true center with skills.
:smh: MH never mind this is the sports board, so im not gonna even say nothing. :smh:

Jag-BR said:
: MH never mind this is the sports board, so im not gonna even say nothing.

I basically stopped reading right here.

Sting said:
I basically stopped reading right here.
Well read what you want to. everbody is gonna say their school win the tourney so what. He!! you have different folks from different schools saying that SU will win. I already said mine, so I'm gonna let the truth be told on the court. :nod:

Jag-BR said:
Well read what you want to. everbody is gonna say their school win the tourney so what. He!! you have different folks from different schools saying that SU will win. I already said mine, so I'm gonna let the truth be told on the court. :nod:

Well it's obvious that you wanted to say something about the comment MH made but you chose to bite your tongue.

Sting said:
Well it's obvious that you wanted to say something about the comment MH made but you chose to bite your tongue.
I don't bite my tongue for nobody.

Back