What's the update with the New JSU Stadium??

They can't agree on who/how to pickup the trash..... They certainly won't come to an agreement on providing funds to help JSU build a stadium.....

I know. What's funny, Greenwood, Mississippi have their own garbage vehicles.

I'm shocked that city the size of Jackson is contracting out the garbage pickup.

What I am trying to say is that city have to get on one accord with JSU.

i wonder has any thought ever gone into possibly allowing the citizens of jackson to vote a tax hike like the one cent increase on restaurants, hotels and rental cars for the stadium.

I would rather them have a one cent tax increase for infrastructure and tearing down blighted building.

i wonder has any thought ever gone into possibly allowing the citizens of jackson to vote a tax hike like the one cent increase on restaurants, hotels and rental cars for the stadium.

They're already doing that in order to try to raise money for the replacement of the water pipes, This is supposed to raise around $15 mil a year on a project that costs at least a billion

The state nor feds are gonna do anything about this. Thank you Brandon and Bennie

They will build a stadium for JSU. But, it will be so many stipulations that they will lose out in the long run.

The best thing for JSU to do is to get private financing, find the land, and go from there.

I don't believe they can build a stadium without MS IHL approval

Yeah...Jackson already has a 1% local sales tax that was supposed to be for infrastructure...but from what I recall the state has a hand in how it's used.

Article is about 15 years old. This! 👍

JSU should request money for some stadium renovations, especially on the home side, where tarp is covering a section. Until, UMMC asks for the land the stadium sits on, JSU's new stadium is DOA.
It’s hard to say it’s DOA. It’s not like they didn’t agree to give jsu $40m. They wanted it where they would benefit rather than where jsu wanted it

What's going on with the new stadium for JSU?? We have been waiting since last March for the study to be finished and an update. There are rumors that the new stadium plans were to go forward and be revealed during Blue and White week and still nothing yet. What is the update?

What's going on with the new stadium for JSU?? We have been waiting since last March for the study to be finished and an update. There are rumors that the new stadium plans were to go forward and be revealed during Blue and White week and still nothing yet. What is the update?

We have a stadium that seats 60,000 now! With renovations to add Skyboxes and other amenities it will be great. The State wants the land where the stadium is without giving JSU proper consideration. That land is prime real estate. Why would we accept less than what we have now? How long would it take to gain property rights and build a new 60,000 seat stadium? Will Coach Prime stick around? Don’t get tricked “Thee I Love” by a State that Shows NO LOVE!

JSU should request money for some stadium renovations, especially on the home side, where tarp is covering a section. Until, UMMC asks for the land the stadium sits on, JSU's new stadium is DOA.

Hence why I said that they always try to be two steps ahead of us. Ashley is from Jackson but Deion is getting an introduction to Mississippi politics. EVERYTHING is about race here so they will do everything in their power to ensure that black people don't make any type of noticeable come up. If there was a way they could come up with $80-$100 million on their own, that's their best out (I still wish they would have got the Dome but with the water situation, $250 million would be best served going towards that)

We have a stadium that seats 60,000 now! With renovations to add Skyboxes and other amenities it will be great. The State wants the land where the stadium is without giving JSU proper consideration. That land is prime real estate. Why would we accept less than what we have now? How long would it take to gain property rights and build a new 60,000 seat stadium? Will Coach Prime stick around? Don’t get tricked “Thee I Love” by a State that Shows NO LOVE!
Memorial Stadium is located in the Fondren District. The area around the stadium is undergoing a renaissance, the stadium should be included in this renaissance.

Jackson State: It's prime time to talk of a new stadium on campus. See where​

Jackson State University President Thomas Hudson stands on the site of a proposed on-campus football stadium on a plot of JSU land near the intersection of John R. Lynch Street and University Boulevard in Jackson on Thursday, Oct. 27.

1667143405983.png
Everything seems to be primed and ready for Jackson State University these days as ESPN’s GameDay has rolled onto campus to set up for its 8 a.m. start time Saturday morning.

While game time is 1 p.m. at Veterans Memorial Stadium on Saturday, there are many who are already turning their attention to a yet-to-be-built stadium that could one day be the location on JSU’s campus in West Jackson. JSU has a site picked out on land it already owns.

Building on the success of Coach Prime, Deion Sanders, Jackson State has been a darling of the college world in the last two years and more specifically the last two weeks as the school has been featured on CBS’ 60 Minutes and ABC’s Good Morning America.
JSU president Thomas Hudson had been cautious in talking about the stadium recently. But riding the “Prime” wave in advance of GameDay, there may not ever be a better time to talk about what a new on-campus facility could mean, for the school, West Jackson and Downtown Jackson.

“Jackson State football has always drawn a crowd, but now people outside of Jackson State University and all across the country are paying attention,” Hudson said. “Jackson State’s true value and true economic impact on our area, Coach Prime’s arrival has definitely helped us push that idea. Now, you are hearing more serious conversations about not just riding this wave, but finding a way to leverage it in a way that has a long-term impact on this area.”

A new stadium built on the east end of the campus near John R. Lynch Street and University Boulevard is part of that process. The on-campus location would give JSU students a chance to walk to games instead of having to find transportation.

A rendering of a proposed Jackson State University football stadium will have about 35,0000 seats according to JSU President Thomas Hudson.

1667143740508.png
While the 35,000 seats for a new stadium is far below the capacity of 60,000-plus at Veterans Memorial, Hudson says being able to count on a full house every game is worthwhile, considering there would be multiple opportunities for premium seating.

Back