What is the future status of the Southern Heritage Classic?

Being a current resident of Memphis and having the opportunity to see the impact that this game has had locally, I am curious. I understood Deion's argument against it but I felt that things could have been worked out if all committed parties were willing. With that being said, will we now keep seeing JSU vs. TSU in the future? I remember and understanding that the contract would be played out for a year or two and then organizers will move on. Have they already replaced JSU or are negotiations going on?

I can't lie and will go ahead admit, I'd love to see Tennessee State vs. Alabama A&M in this game. I know I know, just wishful progressive thinking and wishing from a Bulldog Fan. Still, I know Fred Jones and them have something in the works if JSU falls through.

TNState feels that AAMU is too smalltime to play them.

TNState feels that AAMU is too smalltime to play them.

I wouldn't say that...but as many here have said, our administration wants to have the best of all worlds. PWI FCS conference, FBS money game, 2-3 major HBCU classics and sold-out Homecoming. That's a lot to ask LOL but that's where we are.

As for the SHC, I'm in favor of honoring the remainder of the contract (as if I have any say LOL). After that, I'd rather us have our biggest HBCU matchups as a home and home series. No SHC would suck for the city of Memphis, but for right now, HBCUs need to prioritize themselves.

Actually we have been Tennessee State biggest crowd in the John Merritt classic. I think us and Tennessee St would draw big numbers in Memphis. Only a 3.5 hour drive.
AAMU is the closest school to Nashville so no surprise ya'll showed up. Also ya'll have a pretty decent size alumni base in Nashville. UAPB is the closest to Memphis.

I can. Smart $$$.

Averaging 42-44K at home, why travel your big fanbase to a neutral site and net only $20-$30K after expenses?! That is ridiculous.

Bruh these folks just be typing to see if their fingers work. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Anybody with sense knows/ knew that contract was garbage.

They should go ahead and extend the contract past 2024. Unless they plan to add Alcorn or SU ... it gets no better than UAPB. I mean UAPB is the closest school.

Grambling fan base is pretty inconsistent in the last couple of years, I would not bother adding them.
If Grambling & TnState decide to play each other, I would prefer it as a home & home agreement.

I would project that it would draw at least 45k in Jackson. At $20 ticket (low number) that’s $900K. Has JSU netted that total in the past 3 SHC combined?

Deion even said accounting is a problem in Jackson. So home games look good with people.... but may not pay good... "disappearing money"...

I ain't to worried about the financial part. I'm just being selfish and want to come to Memphis to look at them thick country gals over there. Them broads talk country as all out doors, but good lawd they be thick and nice looking. When you get old you get selfish... 😆

Last edited:
Well, the SHC has UAPB for 2023 and 2024.
I hope Fred can secure AAMU for 2025 and 2026 at least if not longer.
I think it would be a great series.

Sanders advised JSU to bail out of the Southern Heritage Classic, now Sanders bails on JSU. Oh well, JSU talk to God on this one. lol

would love to be in the room to see how he slicked folks into thinking his way - I guess allures of money, private jets and access blinds everyone

They should go ahead and extend the contract past 2024. Unless they plan to add Alcorn or SU ... it gets no better than UAPB. I mean UAPB is the closest school.

Grambling fan base is pretty inconsistent in the last couple of years, I would not bother adding them.
Gram has a bigger crowd than txsu and txsu was HOME! Gram travels to most classics

Back