What Band Director Has Had the Greatest Influence in the SWAC???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MADMUSICIAN

This is not intended for Smack. I'd like to know as SWAC band members what SWAC band director has had the greatest influence on your conference. Don't just be partial to your school because of your love for your program.

Greggs?
Duplesis (sp)?
Hutchenson?
Lyles?
or someone else

Paul adams, without a doubt.

Most swac schools use his best ideals every game and don't even realize it.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
MAD, will you ever stop?

I see where you are trying to take this topic already too, so give it up. It's a lost cause. null.

Mr. SWAC- On the real I have never heard of Paul Adams. I said from the begining that I'm not trying to smack or be funny with this post. I think this is a good topic. Don't try to interpret what I say. Read what I say. I'm not saying that Paul Adams is not a great director I'd just like to know who he is.

Paul Adams is a former member and assistant director of the Human Jukebox. After departing from Southern, he moved to a couple other colleges, one of them being Jackson St. He is a great arranger and I think his instrument is the trombone.

He is at Norfolk State now and he is the arranger for the BEHOLD song that Norfolk State plays.

He's no longer band director, but to me, Professor Butler of the Ocean of Soul during the eighties. He's also the best conductor I've ever played under, in highschool he and my band director (his student Mr. Ronald Thornton)really made me believe in music as an emotion moreso than an action.

Dang MAD

I can't believe you haven't heard of Paul Adams...a very respectable guy. He has written some fire songs for schools, with his talents I'm surprised he has never been a head band director.

I think if Chapman would have stayed here at Bama State along with Mr. Oliver. they would be a unstopable force.

Alright MAD. I won't say anything, but for the past few days you've been continueously trying to prove something. I'll let you handle your business. But I'll have my eye on you.:D

look MADMUSICIAN

I think that you topics have underylying suggestions, as if you're trying to provoke a specific answer or respose without you just coming out and saying what's really on your mind like everyone else.
The last thing we need around here is more suggestive topics and reverse psychology
But maybe I'm wrong...who cares

To answer your question, Paul Adams was mainly asst. Band director at SU,JSU, and Norfolk. He wrote the "Behold" fanfare for Norfolk where he is currently teaching.

His main accomplishment was the standard band organization in the stands that your banddirectors either use ever week, or thier own SPIN-OFF of the original.

And yes...FAMU DID ADAPT IT ALSO

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
On the real people. Don't think so hard about what I am trying to imply. Read my posts and take them for what they are. I hate when people try to read between the lines. For people who know me they know I will tell it like it is. I'm not trying to hide anything. I had never heard of this man before. As a band director myself who inspires to teach on the college level I am always trying to learn about my craft. If I have beef with you I will tell you. I think some of you are trying to start with me.

It's not that...its just 2 things you must consider

1.Topics can be suggestive for many reason...like for instance...WHO POSTS THEM. If Somone from JSU make a topic call "WHO'S MASCOT DANCES THE BEST" or SU makes a topic called "WHO DRILLS THE BEST", people are going to question their motives for starting that topic...just the way it is.

2.Secondly, I don't know if you're new to the swacpage or not, but there is a lot of trash talk going on here.

Personally, I have a job that requires a quick tongue and persuasive dialogue. This is kinda my place to practice being agressive and having a dominant personaly among my peers...So don't take any of this stuff personal

Good Topic

The most influential SWAC band directors have to be

Dr. Greggs- SU
Prof. Davis "SIVAD" - JSU
Conrad Hutchison- Grambling
Prof Ben Butler- TxSU
Harold Haughton - JSU

These guys changed the SWAC forever with their distinct styles. Of course all of them had some great assistants or former students come back to help,
like a Paul Adams, Roy Johnson, Terrel Jackson Sr at SU. Pop Duplessis, W. Holden, M Magruder and others at JSU. Thornton when he was at TxSU. Blake Gaines wherever he was at.(JSU, SU, TxSU)

I would put Dowell Taylor in there if he had stayed longer, plus he was a Prof Davis and Haughton student anyway. Some of you new schoolers probably don't know but Ben Butler of TxSU really took the SWAC to another level when he arrived at TxSU. Doc also arrived at SU the same year. Hutch at GSU was already ahead of his time and had been at Gram way before Butler and Doc got there jobs. Prof Davis of JSU was the best arranger of them all. He penned all his music "SAVID" Davis spelled backwards. He was just an awesome arranger. But those guys I listed above were the ones who I think influenced the SWAC the most.

Originally posted by DMJ*2000
It's not that...its just 2 things you must consider

1.Topics can be suggestive for many reason...like for instance...WHO POSTS THEM. If Somone from JSU make a topic call "WHO'S MASCOT DANCES THE BEST" or SU makes a topic called "WHO DRILLS THE BEST", people are going to question their motives for starting that topic...just the way it is.

2.Secondly, I don't know if you're new to the swacpage or not, but there is a lot of trash talk going on here.

Personally, I have a job that requires a quick tongue and persuasive dialogue. This is kinda my place to practice being agressive and having a dominant personaly among my peers...So don't take any of this stuff personal

FIrst of all I used to post in here from the begining but I stopped for a long time. I know oh so well about the trash talk that goes on in here. I still say that you shouldn't try to interpret what people are saying. How can I suggest something with this topic. Dr. Foster never directed a SWAC band so that automatically eliminated me from trying to argue about my own program. Ask people who have been around for years on this page and the 5th Quarter and they will tell you that yeah I will split your head but, I also come with topics to inform others and myself. I just don't like for people to try to put words in my mouth.

To clear up 2 things!

Mr. Adams has been a head band director before, at Howard University.
Also Pop Duplessis is a grad of Southern.

I think this accolade can be split easily 3 ways.

Conrad Hutchinson, former GSU band director took Black College band to not only a new level but a new stage. Black school's before GSU were not exposed to such experience as were introduced by this great SWAC legend. GSU opened the stage for Black College bands in such events as the Super Bowl, creating a market for HBCU bands, and the universities themselves. This was, truly a man before his time. We still thrive off of the accomplishments of this talented leader as far as exposure and visibility are concerned, this perhaps explains why Grambling's band continues to recieve such exposure even today.

Dr. Issac Greggs, Southern University band director, has made an incredible contribution to SWAC bands. Dr. Gregg's, often criticized mentality of band has spread throughout the SWAC and HBCU bands. Some say "Patty made the Juckbox", and this statement is very true. Southern University is the only SWAC band who is still under the leadership of their most influential and historic director. This provides SU with a wealth of knowledge, and pride. No other director in the SWAC has experienced SWAC band as long as Issac Greggs. This great band director not only possesses excellent tact when it comes to music, but he also introduced to our eyes a new look in HBCU band. His creative drills were mind-bogling, and set the pace for the many new and innovative drill styles we enjoy today. He is in his own right one of the Fathers of SWAC bands as we know it, and created the old school traditions that most SWAC bands still practice today. "I'm So Glad"..."Spirit"...etc.

Dowell Taylor, former band director of the Sonic Boom of the South, on the other hand, introduced the SWAC to the new school. Upon the hiring of Dowell Taylor at JSU, many felt that the young man would not reach the level of success that his two outstanding pretesesors had. JSU's marching band program had already been established and only needed to be held in the road. Dowell Taylor, however, tackled the challenge of not only sustaining the BOOM's level of superiority, but surpassing those marks of Haughton and Davis. Dowell Taylor accomplished more in his 10 years as band director at JSU, than many have in a career. Being a young man at the time, Dowell Taylor saw that something was missing. The BOOM like other SWAC bands, sounded great, drilled great, but there was something missing. He found that something and capitalized on it. Taylor, brought SHOWTIME to the SWAC. JSU to this day lives by his philosophy of "putting on a REAL show", not just marching down the field. He truly brought a new attitude to SWAC band. Dowell Taylor, scillfully, blended the warm sounds of Davis and the flaming drills of Haughton and added a dash of FUNK to the BOOM, thereby, creating a powerful triple punch, which is imulated time in and time out. Taylor is known for his band that could be heard from the BOOM's practice field to Metro Center Mall in Jackson. He definetly put the BOOM in the Sonic Boom. Dowell Taylor surely met the standard of great JSU directors as well as a great SWAC band director.

all of the people you have named are good but the paul adams vote. he was under the great one.so do u really think he learned all that he knows by himself? you know doc had to teach him some of it.i mean doc has thought of everything you can think of in a marching band. he has the best brass sound and the best drills. what else do you need?he has thought of every detail to make his band great. even though he can get on our nerves every now and then, when you think of what he has accomplished, he is truly the greatest. SO Dr. ISSAC GREGGS GETS MY VOTE.

Originally posted by babygrand
all of the people you have named are good but the paul adams vote. he was under the great one.so do u really think he learned all that he knows by himself? you know doc had to teach him some of it.i mean doc has thought of everything you can think of in a marching band. he has the best brass sound and the best drills. what else do you need?he has thought of every detail to make his band great. even though he can get on our nerves every now and then, when you think of what he has accomplished, he is truly the greatest. SO Dr. ISSAC GREGGS GETS MY VOTE.

Fool, what in the world are you talking about. Four years from now you should read this and say,"I sure made myself sound stupid on the swacpage. You obviously don't have a clue of the history of something you spend most of your time doing, BAND.

Dr.Greggs is a great director, dont get me wrong, But the Jukebox was built on the backs of others...Like Mr. Adams.

Glorifying one man and his acomplishments destroys respect and appreciation for what is accomplished and what needs to be accomplished.

Originally posted by DMJ*2000
look MADMUSICIAN

To answer your question, Paul Adams was mainly asst. Band director at SU,JSU, and Norfolk. He wrote the "Behold" fanfare for Norfolk where he is currently teaching.

His main accomplishment was the standard band organization in the stands that your banddirectors either use ever week, or thier own SPIN-OFF of the original.

And yes...FAMU DID ADAPT IT ALSO
He wrote more than just the fanfare, he wrote and arranged the entire song, plus the alma mater and the fight song back in the 80's. He is a guy who has been around alot of bands but he is never gets the credit he deserves.

That's what people fail to realize. People don't know about Mr. Adams because his name was never attached to his accomplishments.

Dr.Greggs was head banddirector for 100 years
Dowell Taylor was head bandirector in JSU's prime
ect...ect

They are good, but they were not alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back