What Band Director Has Had the Greatest Influence in the SWAC???

Status
Not open for further replies.
People Still Not Getting the Point!!!

Originally posted by "NOISE TALKA"
Young man,
Paul Adams was doing what he does before he even got to Southern, and then taught at Southern.

Paul Adams marched at SU and taught at SU but the whole time he was under Dr. Greggs.

Please bruh talk what you know, EVERY director that ever stood in front of SU's band marched in SU's band.

But back to the topic I still say Dr. Greggs had the most influence. Prior to the mid to late nineties many bands were'nt focused on blowing.(except TxSO and JSU) even in the SWAC. Okay look at Cymbol(sp) players before people started trying to imitate SU's cymbol section that was the lamest instrument in the band. That's what trips me out when people come up to me and say" Our cymbols are tight huh? We playing on 20's!!" I be like B*&$@! We been playing on 20's since forever. Whether the SWAC wants to admit it or not when SU does something everyone imitates. But I don't blame you, I'd imitate us too!!

Human Jukebox
Fall 98
S PHI D

DCS

Re: People Still Not Getting the Point!!!

Originally posted by D*$*G*B

...Okay look at Cymbol(sp) players before people started trying to imitate SU's cymbol section that was the lamest instrument in the band. That's what trips me out when people come up to me and say" Our cymbols are tight huh? We playing on 20's!!" I be like B*&$@! We been playing on 20's since forever.
LMAO!!! Straight comedy Juke! LOL!!!

Often imitated, never duplicated...pbi.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I never said that Mr. Adams didn't march in the band at SU. What are you talking about? I said he was doing what he does now, before he even came to Southern (as a student), then he taught at Southern. I'm not taking anything away from Dr. Greggs, read my post again, look for the positive this time.

BOY THERE IS A LOT PEOPLE REALLY DON'T KNOW

Conrad Hutchinson, former GSU band director took Black College band to not only a new level but a new stage. Black school's before GSU were not exposed to such experience as were introduced by this great SWAC legend. GSU opened the stage for Black College bands in such events as the Super Bowl, creating a market for HBCU bands, and the universities themselves. This was, truly a man before his time. We still thrive off of the accomplishments of this talented leader as far as exposure and visibility are concerned, this perhaps explains why Grambling's band continues to recieve such exposure even today.

boy is this ever true!!

Being a SWAC "outsider" looking in, I would say that the following had the greatest influence on SWAC bands...

Conrad Hutchinson
Issac Greggs
Harold Haughton
Paul Adams

In reference to the Paul Adams debate, Paul Adams (NSU ass. director of bands), and Dr. Sanford (Current NSU director of bands)were and still are best friends and former roommates at SU. They both played trombone.

Paul Adams was assistant director at NSU back in the late 70's early 80's under Emery L. Fears (Professor Emerti and former Director of bands at NSU) and arranged some of NSU's most notable trademark songs (Behold being the most popular). From there Mr. Adams went on to JSU and made his mark there. I believe while Mr. Adams was at NSU, Dr. Sanford was directing NSU's CIAA rival VSU at the time.

When Dr. Sanford was tapped for the head spot at NSU, it seemed obvious that he would try to partner up with his old friend and he did just that. These two are a great combination.

Taking some of the fanfare away from Paul Adams and getting back to the topic at hand.....The gentlemen I listed at the beginning of this post are in my "subjective" opinion of course the ones that shaped SWAC bands.

Spartan_Warrior

I never said that Mr. Adams didn't march in the band at SU. What are you talking about? I said he was doing what he does now, before he even came to Southern (as a student), then he taught at Southern. I'm not taking anything away from Dr. Greggs, read my post again, look for the positive this time.
All I'm saying is it all started at SU for Mr. Adams. So that being the case the person he was under and taught at SU was Isaac Greggs!! Makes sense!!???

Human Jukebox
Fall 98
S PHI D

DCS

THANK YOU HANK DOG! THIS LIL DUDE THINKS THAT PAUL ADAMS IS JESUS OR SOME ISH. I MEAN DOC TAUGHT HIM! SO WHERE DID HE GET ALL THIS KNOWLEDGE THAT HE HAS FROM? DOC!!!!!!JUST FACE IT. ADAMS IS GREAT, I HEARD ALL THE STORIES ABOUT HIM. BUT DOC IS THE BEST , POINT BLANK. JUST FACE IT LIL DUDE. I DONT HEAR ANY DR. LIDELL NOMINATIONS.GOODBYE!POINT PROVED.

Originally posted by babygrand
THANK YOU HANK DOG! THIS LIL DUDE THINKS THAT PAUL ADAMS IS JESUS OR SOME ISH. I MEAN DOC TAUGHT HIM! SO WHERE DID HE GET ALL THIS KNOWLEDGE THAT HE HAS FROM? DOC!!!!!!JUST FACE IT. ADAMS IS GREAT, I HEARD ALL THE STORIES ABOUT HIM. BUT DOC IS THE BEST , POINT BLANK. JUST FACE IT LIL DUDE. I DONT HEAR ANY DR. LIDELL NOMINATIONS.GOODBYE!POINT PROVED.

WHY ARE YOU SO UPSET EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN OPINION.......AND I DONT THINK IT IS THAT SERIOUS. NOONE ONE SAID THAT HE WAS BETTER THAN GREGGS BUT THAT HE IS ONE OF THE PEOPLE THAT HAD A GREAT INFLUENCE ON THE SWAC. THERE IS MORE THAN JUST ONE PERSON THAT HAS PUT THEIR MARK IN THE SWAC SO GET OVER IT!!!:rolleyes:

I would say Paul Adams, William W. Davis, Harold Haughton, Duplessis, Dowell Taylor, and in some ways Issac Gregs.

I will say Adams because he has been all over the place and written for and brought ideas to many schools. Also the comment about Greggs bringing the focus on the brassy sound and blowing deserves mention. I guess if you give these guys props, you have to give it up to thier teachers and asst. I guess we should include some of Michigans directors, since we began taking ideas from them.

Personally I think Mr. Adams is just a great musical mind. No matter where we went to school at, he would have been great. He was probably the kinda student that Doc thought, "I'm glad he's a student hear and not somewhere else." There will always be students who come in and have great raw talent. Doc may have helped him polish his skills, but it was always in Adams, and I think that he would have gone on to greatness no matter where he was a student. It's like saying that MJ, Shaq, or Magic would have never been great if they had gone to different colleges.

To: D*S*G*B and Babygrand

First of all, if you read my original post you would see that i didn't even put Mr. Adams on my list. I never said that he was better the Dr. Greggs or any of that stuff. I didn't even bring him up! As a matter of fact, Dr. Greggs is on my list and Mr. Adams is not. So what are yall yapping about. Basically what i was said was.........Mr. Adams was doing what he does, before he got to Southern (AS A STUDENT). He was a great musician before he went there for school. Now ofcourse he learned alot while he was there. I didn't say he didn't. I would hope if anyone spends four years in a department, they will learn something, but it's not fair to say that he learned everything he knows from Dr. Greggs. Hell, he probably taught Dr. Greggs a few things, but at any rate you are arguing about something that wasn't even meant to start one. It's not that serious.

But Mr. Adams is a FAR greater musical mind than Doc Greggs, No disrespect intended. Dr. Greggs is head banddirector of the second best band in the swac, therefor, he is naturally more recognized than Mr. Adams.

Now, Mr. Adams told me this at the NCAA tournament...
"I don't agree with having someone teach me something I already know, and paying for it, just for recognition. I don't need the money"

His philosophy caused his to lose credit for his acconmplishment.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
But Mr. Adams is a FAR greater musical mind than Doc Greggs, No disrespect intended. Dr. Greggs is head banddirector of the second best band in the swac, therefor, he is naturally more recognized than Mr. Adams.
[/B]

And he said that. LOL

FACT

And he said that. LOL

FACT [/B]
:rolleyes:

~CRAP~

My opinion, and almost a fact, Dr. Greggs(Southern) and Dr. T.E. Lyle(Bama State) has had the greatest influence in the SWAC. Greggs brought the Dancing Dolls and Lyle brought his own different style to the SWAC. POINT BLANK!!!!!!!

Originally posted by OhatheKing
My opinion, and almost a fact, Dr. Greggs(Southern) and Dr. T.E. Lyle(Bama State) has had the greatest influence in the SWAC. Greggs brought the Dancing Dolls and Lyle brought his own different style to the SWAC. POINT BLANK!!!!!!!

Go away ASU...grown folks are talking.

and to Bladerunner, its not crap, you just have to know Mr. Adams.

Mr. Adams used to close his eyes while conducting a song, cut the band off if there was a bad note or articulation, AND THEN OPEN HIS EYES AND POINT OUT THE GUILTY PERSON OUT OF OVER 100 WIND AND BRASS PLAYERS.

Mr. Adams used to write our music on the buses while we were traveling with nothing but pen and paper.

Mr. Adams used to construct the most COMPLEX chord structures in his head.

Mr. Adams used to play the piccalo solo to STARS AND STRIPES on his trombone.

I have yet to hear of another musical mind of that calibur in the SWAC. No disrespect intended.

Originally posted by DMJ*2000

Mr. Adams used to close his eyes while conducting a song, cut the band off if there was a bad note or articulation, AND THEN OPEN HIS EYES AND POINT OUT THE GUILTY PERSON OUT OF OVER 100 WIND AND BRASS PLAYERS.

Mr. Adams used to write our music on the buses while we were traveling with nothing but pen and paper.

Mr. Adams used to construct the most COMPLEX chord structures in his head.

Mr. Adams used to play the piccalo solo to STARS AND STRIPES on his trombone.

I have yet to hear of another musical mind of that calibur in the SWAC. No disrespect intended.

Hey, why are you the only person that knows this information? maybe because he was influential in your life. :idea: I knew band directors who could do or did some of same things. What is your point? No disrespect intended.

"MY POINT" is that ALCORN SUCKS

The only thing that you do well IS HIRE JSU GRADUATES...now get lost little ingin, alcorn gets no respect here

"MY POINT" is that ALCORN SUCKS

The only thing that you do well IS HIRE JSU GRADUATES...now get lost little ingin, alcorn gets no respect here

We don't need any respect from you. Who do you think you are?:eek: Saying that JSU sucks would be an understatement, so I will refrain, little lost puzzy. That's exactly what you are a puzzy. You attend the right school. That why you all get Phokked! :uzi:

You are unfortunate to have never met the late Conrad Hutchinson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back