Vowels optimistic about play-in game and Bham

Originally posted by northern tiger
All I said was don't act like its the solution when its not.
Don't act like those other cities were "the solution" either, when they were not.

Overall the tournament has NO APPEAL for anyone outside of the conference.
Is that the case only in Bham?

like I said from the jump, Bham aint the problem.

I'm not about to start arguing over Alabama's 'appeal' or lack thereof but Birmingham isn't a swac city. That has to play a part in the lack of appeal for the swac tournament. I attended last year and I just wasn't impressed with the facilities more than anything. The city was what I expected it to be.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
JSU*Toi,

Jafus,

How do we get on that level?

Good and very fair questions. More than anything it would take serious concertitive effort to get on that level. It seems that our presidents are not prepared to support such an effort.

Here's why I laughed at Dahill about his comment that the CIAA tourney was bigger than the SEC tourney. Aside from the fact that the SEC has higher attendance, I know that the SEC is getting a crapload of money from corporate sponsors that the CIAA can't begin to approach. Secondly, I knew the SEC sells out that tourney well in advance. Thirdly, the SEC sells out games without the need to have a bunch of other events to attract fans. They going for the game and will find something else to do if need be. The SEC literally dictates its attendance totals. They could simply boost attendance by making more seats available in the domes they play in.

I knew the CIAA tourney was big, but I ain't about to put on par with the SEC. Take away the events, who knows what will happen. They have a Miss CIAA pageant. It's creative marketing at its best. And I can't knock them for doing it.

Take away the events???

*smh*

I gotta disagree with you on that one robber...the CIAA schools are smack dab in the middle of one of the traditional hotbeds of basketball period. The CIAA tourney was drawing these numbers before anybody even thought about the events packages we've seen in the last decade.

The CIAA tourney ain't as big as the ACC, SEC, or Big East, but it's dayumn close. the quality of basketball is better thatn the MEAC and the SWAC, primarily because of the basketball tradition these schools collectively have...

that tourney has been around since the end of WWII (1946)

Some of these comments shole would sound more reasonable if the tournament had been pulling big numbers before moving to Bham and then all of a sudden, just fell off, drastically.

Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker)
JSU*Toi,

Good and very fair questions. More than anything it would take serious concertitive effort to get on that level. It seems that our presidents are not prepared to support such an effort.

what do they need to do Jafus???

Let's get real here, folks! We all know what Grits' intention was when he suddenly came on this thread bashing B'ham. He was hoping to lead this thread down a very familiar road...one we've travelled about 10 times already since last year....and the year before.

I needn't even have to tell what that road is. :smh:

_ _ _!

:smh:

This is funny, is Birmingham the only problem with the SWAC Tourny, Hell no. We all know the problems we had in the SWAC in the past. The tourney had a lot of problems. <br>But when you start looking at how to fix the MANY problems, the solution ain't Birmingham. As long as damn near everyone outside of 100 miles thinks Birminham ain't isht, they ain't comming. You bama folks act like they can't understand/accept that.<BR><BR> LET ME REPEAT FOR THE HARD OF THINKING, MOST PEOPLE THINK BIRMINGHAM AIN'T ishT, Birmingham could really be the best thing since the Jews took over Jeruselum, but everyone THINKS THAT BIRMINGHAM AINT ISHT. WHY DID BIRMINGHAM GIVE THE SWAC (of all PEOPLE) SO MUCH FOR FREE, BECAUSE THEY EVEN KNOW BIRMINGHAM AIN'T ISHT, SO THEY KNEW NO ONE WOULD PAY TO COME THERE.<BR><BR>Maybe I didn't word that clear enough for yall bamians to understand, how about Birmingham SUCKS! That is what people think. Right now, the SWAC Basketball tourney is a very hard sell, and it being in Birmingham makes it 10 times harder to sell. If we move it to a better place, it still may be a flop if it isn't done right. But that does not take away from the fact that most people think BIRMINGHAM ain't isht, and right now the thought does not even get to the basketball, they stop considering as soon as they think about BIRMINGHAM, BECAUSE MOST PEOPLE THINK BIRMINGHAM AIN'T ISHT (Damn, did I say that already).<BR><br>BTW, that ain't hatin, it is just fact (Fact that some don't want to accept)

Biloxi was one of the better tournaments this decade....it had support and there were things to do in close poximity to the hotels. It was only 6.5 hours from Houston also....if I flew...even closer because I could drive the rest and the tickets are a little more affordable.

The SWAC will see Biloxi up close soon.....the spring meetings are held there.

Vowells likes first class...made that evident in Houston last fall. watch for more moves.

I came to this thread late. But I should state that the ACC tournament is one of if not the biggest money making conference tournament in the country. I am glad that the CIAA does nicely. But let's not get carried away.

Mr. Average Fan speaking here again,

I said this once a couple of years ago about how to improve the SWAC tournament and I ain't rehashing all that. MH, is right the problem ain't all with Birmingham but Lewis has a point to.

Honestly the same thing (to me) that is wrong with the tournament is the same thing that is wrong with the SCG and it ain't B'ham. These things are not EVENTS. Average folks are only going to EVENTS. Hardcore fans (like most of you) will go watch the SWAC play tiddlywinks on a North Dakota farm because that what you guys love. Me, I don't have the money to waste on that.

The CIAA tournament has tradition but also it is very centrally located. Raliegh is about a 2 hr drive or less for most of the schools, so it's very easy to keep fan support. A person can work all day and then drive up for a bball game. They don't have to take a week (or 3 days) off of work to attend. It may have tradition and be in a bball hotbed, but move it to Maryland and see how long it stays big.

As for us, this is what we need:

1. Alumni support (this has to be a school thing first, if you don't come watch them play at home you won't watch them on the road)

2. Get some of this "creative marketing". We need EVENTS! Autograph signings, stepshows, banquets, concerts, BOTB's etc. This will bring out the local crowd.

3. Upgrade our bball programs. We are on a parity level since 2-7 all have the same conference records. (that's parity to me) but it's poor quality. This will bring out the locals as well, those who just want to see some good bball.

4. Get corporate sponsors. Why are the majority of our SWAC sponsors in B'ham? We should be stretching through out the SWAC region. Houston, Jxn, Memphis, NO, BR, we need these people as well.

5. TV coverage, good TV coverage (and other media). Ain't nothing gonna draw folks like the chance of being on TV or being seen. When people see, hear or read about the fun and excitement going on, then they will come.

If you can build a foundation or use this as a blueprint, both the SCG and the Tournaments (spring included) will be a big success. But as long as we continue to feel that people will come just because, we're doomed.

Just a few words from an average fan, on why I don't make the yearly trek and invade B'ham like these yocals from UK, Ole Miss, MSU, and LSU come invade ATL and get on my nerves!:lmao:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Ohh and I left out:

6. Student involvement. You have got to sell these games on the campuses as well. I realize that the SCG is around the end of the semester and the in some cases the campuses may be on Spring Break or in mid-terms right now, so that limits their attendance. They need the students and what better way to attract them than #2.

Just something to think about......

good posts BengalE

nt,
The ACC and SEC have built in fan bases with media coverage and the numbers already there. Right now, the SWAC has neither.

Originally posted by northern tiger
Is the ACC SEC tourney considered events or just good baskeball games to attend? The latter really makes a difference.

Honestly, I think it's a combination. I've never been to the ACC tournament. But I see here with the SEC tournament and the championship game, some people come just to be here. They don't have tickets to the game, but they are still here just as wide open. They have a fanfare, where they can see former greats and other little attractions.

Basically we are a social people, our athletic appetite is growing, but for the most part we crave social events. Perhaps if our programs were of a higher quality, we would need less sideshow attractions, but now that is just a part of the package. And we need to use it to our advantage. When we leave games we go party, simple as that. Use it and grow it, don't deny it.

Another thing... SWAC fans aint going to pay as much as CIAA fans do for a ticket to a basketball ticket.... their tickets go from 150 to 100 dollars... I think students can get 35 dollar tickets.

CIAA's impact was $11.5 million

By CINDY GEORGE, Staff Writer
News & Observer (Raleigh)

http://onnidan.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006183

RALEIGH- In its fifth year in the Capital City, the CIAA basketball tournament has registered its biggest boost yet.

Convention center officials have counted the people and proceeds from last month's tournament and concluded that the overall economic impact was $11.5 million this year, a 13 percent increase over 2003.

"I think it's the truest measurement of how this tournament has grown and prospered in Raleigh," said Scott Dupree, sports marketing director for the Greater Raleigh Convention and Visitors Bureau. "There's a very clear pattern of five consecutive years of significant growth.

"No matter how you look at it -- whether it's ticket sales, economic impact or total room nights -- there are very clear indicators that the tournament is bigger and better and stronger every year that it's in Raleigh."

The weeklong Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association basketball tournament in the last week in February is the Triangle's largest annual sporting event.

Turnstile attendance rose 12 percent to 90,855 this year. Free Saturday events this year also lifted the tournament's popularity.

The Saturday cheerleading exhibition, first-ever streetball competition, "Battle of the Bands" and Miss CIAA crowning brought an additional 10,000 fans.

Including complimentary tickets and the free weekend events, CIAA fans' attendance at the RBC Center topped 104,000 this year.

The convention bureau estimates that 24,200 people came to the Triangle and stayed four days, on average.

By all indicators, the CIAA tournament ...

J,

You would have the numbers or know where to get the research quicker than I, so do you by any chance have any info/numbers/articles on the economic impact on the SCG or SWAC tournament for the City of Birmingham?

Originally posted by Bengal E
Mr. Average Fan speaking here again,

I said this once a couple of years ago about how to improve the SWAC tournament and I ain't rehashing all that. MH, is right the problem ain't all with Birmingham but Lewis has a point to.

Honestly the same thing (to me) that is wrong with the tournament is the same thing that is wrong with the SCG and it ain't B'ham. These things are not EVENTS. Average folks are only going to EVENTS. Hardcore fans (like most of you) will go watch the SWAC play tiddlywinks on a North Dakota farm because that what you guys love. Me, I don't have the money to waste on that.

The CIAA tournament has tradition but also it is very centrally located. Raliegh is about a 2 hr drive or less for most of the schools, so it's very easy to keep fan support. A person can work all day and then drive up for a bball game. They don't have to take a week (or 3 days) off of work to attend. It may have tradition and be in a bball hotbed, but move it to Maryland and see how long it stays big.

As for us, this is what we need:

1. Alumni support (this has to be a school thing first, if you don't come watch them play at home you won't watch them on the road)

2. Get some of this "creative marketing". We need EVENTS! Autograph signings, stepshows, banquets, concerts, BOTB's etc. This will bring out the local crowd.

3. Upgrade our bball programs. We are on a parity level since 2-7 all have the same conference records. (that's parity to me) but it's poor quality. This will bring out the locals as well, those who just want to see some good bball.

4. Get corporate sponsors. Why are the majority of our SWAC sponsors in B'ham? We should be stretching through out the SWAC region. Houston, Jxn, Memphis, NO, BR, we need these people as well.

5. TV coverage, good TV coverage (and other media). Ain't nothing gonna draw folks like the chance of being on TV or being seen. When people see, hear or read about the fun and excitement going on, then they will come.

If you can build a foundation or use this as a blueprint, both the SCG and the Tournaments (spring included) will be a big success. But as long as we continue to feel that people will come just because, we're doomed.

Just a few words from an average fan, on why I don't make the yearly trek and invade B'ham like these yocals from UK, Ole Miss, MSU, and LSU come invade ATL and get on my nerves!:lmao:

Good post frat. You make some damn good points.

Back