Vowels optimistic about play-in game and Bham

mighty hornet

The HMIC!!
Vowels optimistic about play-in

03/09/04

Robert Vowels is an optimistic guy.

The commissioner of the Southwestern Athletic Conference knows that his NCAA Tournament representative has been one of the teams forced to play in the opening round game the past two seasons. The opening round game is known as the "play-in" game to everybody in America except for NCAA officials, who don't like the sound of it.

and for the haters......

Vowels expects the tournament to continue at Fair Park.

"We're in talks with the city about extending the contract," he said. "We went before the council and have had some discussions with them. So far, we've been happy with the tournament in Birmingham. The city has been a great partner and Fair Park has been a solid arena for us and they've been working with us."

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/mperrin.ssf?/base/sports/107882740675670.xml

Please move this thing from Bham.

Anyone wonder why the CIAA and MEAC trnys are big deals? They aint in Bham. Thats got to be the drabbest damn city in the world. Is it run by a bunch of 70 year olds? Move the trny Vowels.

And Vowels is optomistic huh? Im sure he didnt use that word all by himself.

Translation: I know its going to be sorry, but we hope it turns out alright.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Get Ready
Anyone wonder why the CIAA and MEAC trnys are big deals? They aint in Bham.
Are you suggesting that when the SWAC tournament wasn't in Bham it was "a big deal" that rivaled the CIAA tournament?

Please move this thing from Bham.

Anyone wonder why the CIAA and MEAC trnys are big deals? They aint in Bham. Thats got to be the drabbest damn city in the world. Is it run by a bunch of 70 year olds? Move the trny Vowels.

And Vowels is optomistic huh? Im sure he didnt use that word all by himself.

Translation: I know its going to be sorry, but we hope it turns out alright.

MEAC tourney is a big deal?????

The CIAA tourney is a big deal because it is traditional... It could be in ATL miles away from any school and it would still be a sellout. The CIAA tourney is bigger than the SEC tourny.

Dude,

When the trny was in Biloxi for one year, it was nice. There was a nice crowd, the next year Tom Joyner WAS going to show up til Rudy got his kickback to move the trny to Bham a week before the damn thing was going to start.

Why cant we build a tradition? You know all black folks like is a party anyway. Have the damn thing in a place where people wouldnt mind going. Bham is not the place.

I guess the excuse this time is going to be weather too, just like that weak ass SCG we just had.

Originally posted by Robber
Dahill,

CIAA bigger than SEC??? :lmao:

I will try to find the article....it may be wrong but I know what I read.... it stated the only tournament larger than the CIAA tournament was the ACC tournament. The SEC tournament is not as big of a draw as you would think... In the CIAA the whole tournament is sold out and in an 18,000 seat area... That is week full of games sold out 4 months before the tournament starts.

ummm GR,
were the crowds in Biloxi larger than the CIAA crowds? And Tom Joyner showing up is suppose to be validation for ......what???

DAHILL,
The SEC tournament has had sell outs in the Dome, over 30K.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Mark Riggs (919) 832-6300
mriggs@fwv-us.com

2004 CIAA Tournament Scores BIG:
Shatters Attendance Record!

N.C. Central's Championship Run, Shaw?s Womens Title,
New ?Super Saturday?, Help Attract more than 104,500 to RBC Center

RALEIGH, N.C. (March 3, 2004)? Fueled by great early and mid-week crowds and a new Super Saturday Showcase format, and despite winter weather conditions throughout the state, the 2004 Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association?s annual basketball tournament drew a record number of fans for the fifth consecutive year.

More than 104,500 fans enjoyed activities at the RBC Center from Feb. 23 ? Feb. 28, including men?s and women?s games and the high-energy Super Saturday festivities. The new single-event attendance record for the conference came from advance ticket-book sales, single-session paid and complimentary tickets, as well as turnstile drop counts from the arena. Pass gate entries for youth groups, sponsors and conference guests were also calculated. Comparable attendance for the 2003 Tournament was 91,823 making it a 14 percent increase for this year?s event.

?Each of the past five years we have seen the CIAA tournament?s footprint expand,? CIAA Commissioner Leon G. Kerry said. ?We are drawing more people to the host city, to the arena, and they are coming earlier and earlier in the week.

?We?ve also made a concerted effort to make sure the youth of the community get a chance to experience the CIAA, with the aim of perpetuating the CIAA tradition,? Kerry continued. ?We donate a number of single-day tickets to youth groups and host them at our free ?Super Saturday? events. We always make a concerted effort to reach out to the community-at-large, and it starts with the kids.?

CIAA Super Saturday featured the first-ever CIAA Streetball Classic pitting a CIAA All-Star team against the Street Basketball Association?s best, with the CIAA squad defeating the SBA All-Stars, who had never lost on American soil. The inaugural CIAA Battle of the Bands featured Virginia State University and Johnson C. Smith University, while Mignon Turner of Winston-Salem State University won the first Miss CIAA Contest, and the popular cheerleading exhibition was a crowd pleaser as always. Attendance for this event alone was up from 5,571 in 2003 to 16,000 in 2004.

-more-

Local teams North Carolina Central University (men) and Shaw University (women) also made runs to their respective championship games, with Shaw winning the women?s title for the second consecutive year. With these two teams playing the entire week, many alumni and fans attended games every session.

?We are delighted that attendance figures have increased significantly for a fifth consecutive year,? said Dave Heinl, president of the Greater Raleigh Convention and Visitors Bureau. ?Based on that report, we hope that economic impact and total room night figures, when they are calculated within the next seven to 10 days, will be up as well. It's a real credit to the CIAA's many alumni and fans, along with event organizers, that the Tournament's steady growth pattern continued this year, especially in light of the weather-related challenges that occurred on Thursday and Friday.?

In 2003, the CIAA tournament generated $859,236 in tax revenues, $713,845 of which was from state and local tax, $108,297 from hotel occupancy and $37,094 in food and beverage tax. Heinl said it would be seven to 10 days before the Raleigh CVB will be able to accurately report these figures for 2004. The 2003 economic impact to the City of Raleigh was $10.2 million.

The CIAA headquarters also said it would be about a week before it would be able to accurately report ticket and sponsor revenues, which dictate the amount of scholarship dollars generated for the 12 member schools. In 2003, the conference generated $750,000 for the general scholarship fund.

For more information about the 2004 CIAA Basketball Tournament, visit www.ciaa2004.com.

Originally posted by mighty hornet
ummm GR,
were the crowds in Biloxi larger than the CIAA crowds? And Tom Joyner showing up is suppose to be validation for ......what???

DAHILL,

MH.... like I said I am going by what I read... and another thing the CIAA tourney is a week long event, MOST games in the SEC tournament are NOT sellouts, the championship game may be, but see all kind of empty seats behind the bench in the first and second round games.

Originally posted by DAHILL
MOST games in the SEC tournament are NOT sellouts, the championship game may be, but see all kind of empty seats behind the bench in the first and second round games.
Yeah, you may see some empty seats in those early rounds, but that doesnt mean that a whole lot of tickets weren't sold for them.

this is from the secsports.com

The 2004 Southeastern Conference Men's Basketball Tournament will be held in a familiar setting as the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Ga., again plays host to this event. The Georgia Dome, a world-class facility with basketball seating configuration of 26,000, serves as the site of the 12-team tournament for the fifth time in seven years and the sixth time overall in league history. The 2002 tournament amassed impressive crowds with the sixth highest total attendance (198,929) and the fourth highest Session 4 attendance (22,508) in SEC Tournament history.

The Georgia Dome serves as the site of the 12-team tournament for the fifth time in seven years and the sixth time overall in league history.
The SEC Men's Basketball Tournament was first held at the Dome in 1995, establishing records in total attendance (250,031), single-game and championship game attendance (30,057).

I knew about the CIAA being a big deal and by far the biggest tournament of any of the smaller conferences, but their crowds haven't passed the SEC yet.

smh@ somebody saying the CIAA tournament is held somewhere "in a high school gym"
:smh:

Yeah, you may see some empty seats in those early rounds, but that doesnt mean that a whole lot of tickets weren't sold for them.

this is from the secsports.com

I knew about the CIAA being a big deal and by far the biggest tournament of any of the smaller conferences, but their crowds haven't passed the SEC yet.

smh@ somebody saying the CIAA tournament is held somewhere "in a high school gym"
:smh:

you stand corrected... unlike SOME PEOPLE... i own up to a mistake.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
It is a huge event and always have been. I can remember when doug came home after winning the super bowl he and randel cunningham were at the F.G. Clark for the swac finals and they were talking about how much bigger and better they did their tournament and how large the turnouts were.

ummm GR,

DAHILL,

Mighty hornet...the day after Thursday is Friday. Im sure you will find a way to dispute that.

Im talking about building a traditional, something someone from Bama State would know nothing about. You have to start somewhere. Tom Joyner brings a CROWD....again something you would know nothing about.

And BTW...I know the CIAA is held in a large venue in Rel. NC. You guys take yourself so seriously.

Tom Joyner brings a CROWD..
damn, that Tom Joyner is a bad man. I wish someone will let the SWAC office know that all they have to do is get Tom Joyner there and the crowd will surely follow.
Man get real. Just say you don't like Bham and leave it at that. Cause all this other stuff you're saying is crazy, even making the Meac tournament out to be "a big deal"

I'll disregard your digs at Bama State. Cause I know you just can't help yourself.

mh,

The problem is that non-swac people will not go to the trny with it bring in B'ham. And you know most swac people won't travel to b'ham unless there school is playing. To make it a SUCCESS we need people want to come to the city as well as the game.

I am going cause our girls are good and want to see them play, but when I tried to get my people to go they were like "hell naw there is nothing to do in b'ham"

If B'ham had something that set it out like Biloxi, New Orleans, or even a Savannah, more people would be hype to go and that is the real.

Originally posted by JSU*Toi
. . . or even a Savannah . . .

Savannah? :smh:

Please.

Savannah is a nice town, but it ain't got nothin' on Birmingham except a beach. And negroes ain't goin' to the beach in this cold arse weather.

mh,

Unless he just stopped, Tom Joyner does a "Sky Show" at the CIAA tourney every year. Now, I ain't saying he's the reason they show up, but he sholl ain't hurting.

Dahill,

Every SEC game is sold out for the tourney. Kentucky fans buy up every ticket available, so they can ensure that when the 'Cats play, they'll be able to see them. They ain't going to see Auburn play Ole Miss, even though they got tickets to go.

Toi,
I understand what you're saying, but what yall fail to take into account that these other places didn't exactly set attendance on fire. Before the move to Birmingham, it was in Biloxi and I don't recall earth shattering attendance for that.

The thing is, some people want to make Bham the culprit as to why attendance is low, when the facts show, that when the tourney has been in other , so called "attractive" places, folks didn't show up then, either.

Bham aint the problem here.

Back