Very good article on Coach Spears (Times Picayune)

SAME OLD G said:
Ask JR. He did it.

Nah SOG, I just followed LS Syndicate's post saying coaches don't have to care about the fans after LS got his feathers ruffled by Mike Bigg's post mentioning 2-10. My point was that all coaches have detractors but you have to be better than that and talk down to the fans and alumni like we saw in Jackson. Spears gets that and is staying humble. I am sure he was as pissed as Bell was at JSU when folks didn't want him there. But Spears just has already handled it better from the outset. That was my point. Now who knows if all that will translate into wins on the field which is the bottom line for all our coaches.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
MikeBigg said:
It's my fault...but actually, it was just a little "dig" at my Mafia brethren here on TSPN. Yall know I gots love for Jackson (really I do) but I just felt like messing with TP, GR, and Robber. Mostly TP cuz he's always getting on Spears case and praising Bell.

It was mostly in jest...but in my honest opinion, Bell did a disservice to the JSU tradition and fans by coming in and dismantling things. Maybe it will work out...but I think he made a mistake by handling things the way he did. Jackson State should never go 2 and 10 in football.

No we shouldn't but I stand behind the belief that even though we went 2-10 in 2004 it was not James Bell's fault just because he was the coach. I feel the same way in saying that just because we were 9-3 in 1999, it had nothing to do with Hughes. Time will tell but I am also tired of people who know absolutely nothing about JSU football trying to tell us what is going on in Jackson.

..and yes, Spears is going to be the biggest mistake in BCF coaching history if you make him the HC after this season.

the article was cool,it's good to see him get the job afterall he was the offensive coordinator under doug to bring it back to life.but will he beat those jag's in the bayou classic in louisiania that's how your season is made.if he cant beat pete his belonging's will be left on the side of the street. :headphone

what do i mean?are you kidding why not melvin spears he knows the players and he has lost only one player on offense and a defense that is and has always been superstingy,why do you want to run off spears at least let the guy make it out of training camp,tru gsu

chattaboxktsu said:
what do i mean?are you kidding why not melvin spears he knows the players and he has lost only one player on offense and a defense that is and has always been superstingy,why do you want to run off spears at least let the guy make it out of training camp,tru gsu

I do believe you mis-read my post. My comments were aimed at TP from J-State. TP stated: "Spears is going to be the biggest mistake in BCF coaching history if you make him the HC after this season".
I am asking TP to explain his comment.

MikeBigg said:
I think so...the good thing is that he will not undermine the tradition that has already been established. It would take a complete idiot to come in to a tradition program and completely sever all ties with the fanbase and prior regime of coaches and players. I know Spears will have better sense than to pull some 2 and 10 type stuff like that!
Too bad he aint as good as 2-10.
Mike Big....you must be real disappointed.
Too bad your tradition didnt help you Saturday.

Back