Very good article on Coach Spears (Times Picayune)

GSUperTiger

The "Icon" of BCF
http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-12/109323898944020.xml
Grambling's Spears is his own man

Tigers' interim football coach has a giant legacy to live up to
Monday, August 23, 2004 By Ted Lewis
Staff writer
In coaching, the saying goes, you never want to be the man who follows The Man.

Imagine then, what it's like for Grambling State's Melvin Spears. He's the man who followed The Man who really followed The Man.

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="http://ads.nola.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_jx.ads/www.nola.com/xml/story/S/SPSP/@StoryAd"></SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=250 align=right bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=250 bgColor=#000000 colSpan=5>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#000000>
spacer.gif
</TD><TD width=4>
spacer.gif
</TD><TD width=250>
arrow.gif
spacer.gif

</TD><TD width=4>
spacer.gif
</TD><TD width=1 bgColor=#000000>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#000000>
spacer.gif
</TD><TD width=4 bgColor=#000000>
spacer.gif
</TD><TD width=250 bgColor=#000000>
spacer.gif
</TD><TD width=4 bgColor=#000000>
spacer.gif
</TD><TD width=1 bgColor=#000000>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><SCRIPT language=JavaScript></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT>[url="http://ads.nola.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_nx.ads/www.nola.com/xml/story/S/SPSP/@StoryAd?x"]http://ads.nola.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_nx.ads/www.nola.com/xml/story/S/SPSP/@StoryAd?x[/url]</NOSCRIPT>
Not only does Spears have to bear the impossible comparisons with Eddie Robinson, but also with Doug Williams, Grambling and Super Bowl hero who rebuilt the Tigers' fortunes in his six seasons as Robinson's successor.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
TRU2GSU said:
:tup:
Very good read. Spears should do well in his 1st season.

I think so...the good thing is that he will not undermine the tradition that has already been established. It would take a complete idiot to come in to a tradition program and completely sever all ties with the fanbase and prior regime of coaches and players. I know Spears will have better sense than to pull some 2 and 10 type stuff like that!

MikeBigg said:
I think so...the good thing is that he will not undermine the tradition that has already been established. It would take a complete idiot to come in to a tradition program and completely sever all ties with the fanbase and prior regime of coaches and players. I know Spears will have better sense than to pull some 2 and 10 type stuff like that!
The things that we say that comes back to hunt us.:read: :lecture:

MikeBigg said:

Please! You people are putting too much stock into the Coaches/ Fans relationship. Name a JSU coach who has ever had a good rapport with the fan base? Spears is just a yuppie who has no choice but to not undermine what is already there. He has no identity, and the team won't take on one either.

This is getting old.

LS Syndicate said:
Please! You people are putting too much stock into the Coaches/ Fans relationship. Name a JSU coach who has ever had a good rapport with the fan base? Spears is just a yuppie who has no choice but to not undermine what is already there. He has no identity, and the team won't take on one either.

This is getting old.

You know what. It is better than having a 2 and 10 identity! Coach Bell has given that identity to JSU football program. I dare you to take a poll and ask some folks on TSPN what comes to mind when j-stat and bell are mentioned. I gave the guy credit by referring to him as coach.

When one thinks of j-state, you think of 2 and 10 and counting. When one thinks of GSU, one thinks about Legacy! But I am sure will tell us how great j-state will be this year and how Bell will save the swac and every other delusional fantasy that pops up in this thread, so lets here it.

I will start you off. j-state and bell will reinvent the "turn em loose tour" and de-c**n the swac in 2004.

MikeBigg said:

CO-SIGN! :lmao:
No we don't have to worry about that at GSU. :shh: Spears has done a good job this spring upholding the GSU tradition.

LS Syndicate said:

This is getting old.

Must be new school. Coach Bob Hill had a pretty good repoire with the fans and JSU alumni. His only problem was beating Eddie Rob. Just like all coaches he wore out the welcome eventually. Gorden was not the most beloved JSU coach but he got the job done. His relationship with a certain former JSU player caused some discord with some alumni and of course he was a Tn State grad and that did not endear him to everybody. But overall I think most JSU fans and alumni appreciated WC. At least they probably do now considering the state of JSU football. In Gorden's worst year (84) he didn't go 2-10 or 2-9 in those days. So the Spears comparison to JSU coaches does not make sense. You can discount the fans/alumni relationship with their coach if you like. But one thing for sure if that said coach does not win and I mean win championships at a school that has that type of tradition like a JSU has had then of course he isn't going to be popular. Bell ruined any chance of that from the outset. At least Spears gets it. He knows he does not need to alienate the GSU faithful even if some don't want him to be coach. You have to be better than that. Bell didn't get it. Even Pete who ain't the most personable guy did not talk down to the SU fans and alumni. Winning cures all.

JR said:
At least Spears gets it. He knows he does not need to alienate the GSU faithful even if some don't want him to be coach. You have to be better than that. Bell didn't get it. Even Pete who ain't the most personable guy did not talk down to the SU fans and alumni. Winning cures all.
Couldn't have said it better.

JR said:
Even Pete who ain't the most personable guy did not talk down to the SU fans and alumni. Winning cures all.
Even when Pete is winning, there's some locals that still complaint about Pete. Ask MikeBigg, he has friends that don't like Pete for no reason at all. But I know the truth and I'm a big supporter of Pete. Have had many conversation with him. He's considered not personal because he doesn't hang/drink with the locals who think they are important. His job is to coach and improve the program and he has done that. Damn those other people that only leech from the University. They are the same folks that thought Tommy should have kept his job. I use to see the coach before Pete at the local club the night before a game. Was glad to get rid of him, but some locals thought he was OK because they were drinking buddies. Having a relationship with the fans, alumni and supporters is one thing, but don't have them thinking they are important to your survival.

Pete has transformed Southern U into something it has never been since prior to Vietnam -- that is consistent. Those would be wise to placate, patronize, etc. ole Pete because without him SU's history is well...
you guys know by now.
I like Pete. He does more with nothing than one can imagine. He will Spears to be quite formidable.

Why you wanna call me out like that? The person (I think) you are referring to has his individual issue with Pete...but has never tried to "suade" me. I guess cuz he knows I don't care (lol). I have heard some grumblings but you guys would be nuts to get rid of a good hardworking and winning coach.

Now I agree that Pete may initially come across as aloof, but he's a personable guy who is easy to talk with. I've been invited to sit with him at the Chicken Shack and we've talked football and had casual conversation on a range of subjects. I was impressed with his sense of loyalty and fraternal bond with other coaches. He's definitely a HUGE Eddie Robinson fan.

I'm cool with a couple of your coaches... Dooley is a Gramblinite and we've chatted briefly. But Cliff Lewis, Terrance Graves, and Chris Scott I consider friends. In fact, Cliff and I are "feuding" over a 15 month old grandson about which colors he will wear. Of course, since he has my last name I'm the grandparent of influence (lol).

MikeBigg said:
I have heard some grumblings but you guys would be nuts to get rid of a good hardworking and winning coach.
The only people that call for Pete head is a small vocal few who think they are important. One of them you call "Frat":smash: Use to be drinking buddies with the last head coach. Can't drink with this now and he's pissed, along with the others clowns.:dizzy:

That's not the reason and actually you might be overemphazing the "rift". Frat wasn't a drinking body of the prior coach either and voiced his opinion on that coach as well...I think you're just pro-Pete and get ruffled by the criticism. I understand cuz Pete is a good coach...but he's open to criticism.

No coach is gonna have 100% approval...even the legendary Eddie Rob had his critics. The good thing is that Eddie and Pete (as with all good coaches) ignore it publicly and work to continue building their programs.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
BgJag said:
Even when Pete is winning, there's some locals that still complaint about Pete. Some people don't like Pete for no reason at all. But I know the truth and I'm a big supporter of Pete. Have had many conversation with him. He's considered not personal because he doesn't hang/drink with the locals who think they are important. His job is to coach and improve the program and he has done that. Damn those other people that only leech from the University. I have been told stories about the coach staff and players before Pete at the local club the night before a game. Was glad to get rid of him, but some locals thought he was OK because they were drinking buddies. Having a relationship with the fans, alumni and supporters is one thing, but don't have them thinking they are important to your survival.

I paraphrased some parts of this quote, but this is the way I feel about Coach Bell. Outside of the first sentence, if/when he been begins to win there will still be people who just complain. I have not met the man personally yet, but 99% of the people who have tell me he is a nice personable man. And from the things I hear and see, he is trying to rebuild our program. And if any of you have rebuilt anything, you probably know it may look good on the outside but once you get in and start work you may find a mess and consequently create one in the process, until your work is done. This is why I get so tired of these non knowing people taking pot shots at the man just because he ain't fitting in with their plans. The man has a job to do. And he is going to do it his way whether everyone agrees or not. If/when he does win, the majority of JSU supporters will think he's great but still hate him for last year, much like JR mentioned with Hill and Gorden. But, the rest of ya'll will hate him because he will be kicking your schools behind, much like most of ya'll do with Pete.

NOW GET OFF MY COACH!!!

My perspective:

Coach Richardson returned one of the most LEGENDARY BCF programs BACK to prominence. The fact of the matter is Southernites have been hungry for this return to dominance for quite sometime. The job will always have some form of pressure and naysayers. It comes with the territory. Our alums and fans have always been adamant about excellence. And, many know what have happen in the past if a coach did not deliver.

Melvin Spears in my opinion has made all of the right moves. He is a true SWAC alum and bring a certain energy and sense of legacy to the table that is pretty impressive. I think his lack of "star power" has to be overcome by a dominating and overwhelming product on the field this year. This will go far in securing a future at the helm. I believe if he loses the Bayou Classic, his employment will be terminated (unfortunately). This is one coach that I am pulling for. I believe he would be good for SWAC football.

James Bell in my opinion made all of the wrong moves last year. He arrogance and lack of humility for a legendary program wreaked stupidity and a lack of maturity. His attempt to run the ball consistently without the personnel spoke volumes about his thought process. Mr. Bell job is on the line and he must produce this year. Will we see a great metamorphosis? Only time will tell. I apologize in advance for not finding anything positive to say about Bell but he can turn it around. That is the good thing about life. Sometimes we get the opportunity to "right a wrong."

Bengal E said:
I paraphrased some parts of this quote, but this is the way I feel about Coach Bell. Outside of the first sentence, if/when he been begins to win there will still be people who just complain. I have not met the man personally yet, but 99% of the people who have tell me he is a nice personable man. And from the things I hear and see, he is trying to rebuild our program. And if any of you have rebuilt anything, you probably know it may look good on the outside but once you get in and start work you may find a mess and consequently create one in the process, until your work is done. This is why I get so tired of these non knowing people taking pot shots at the man just because he ain't fitting in with their plans. The man has a job to do. And he is going to do it his way whether everyone agrees or not. If/when he does win, the majority of JSU supporters will think he's great but still hate him for last year, much like JR mentioned with Hill and Gorden. But, the rest of ya'll will hate him because he will be kicking your schools behind, much like most of ya'll do with Pete.

NOW GET OFF MY COACH!!!

LOL. They don't want to hear that bruh. They refuse to believe that there's a contignecy out there that actually supports Bell and believes that JSU is headed in the right direction, at least from the standpoint of building. You got folks who believe that maintaining a program is just a matter of lining up 22 guys out there and saying "hit 'em hard".

People have a right to their opinions, and I never expect compliments from those who have an axe to grind with JSU. That's life. That's fine. What pisses me off is when people formulate their opinions off rumor and hearsay, then assume that other folks (who may actually have a clue about the facts) operate by the same negative, warped mindset.

99% of folks around Jackson don't bother to examine the football program behind the scenes and damn sure don't directly support the program financially (nope, buying a game ticket doesn't count), but 99% will bit(h and moan when things aren't cosmetically to their liking.

When the hard work off the field finally manifests into something great on the field (Bell or no Bell), a lot of folks will be feasting on crow for a loooong time around here.

Did some posts get deleted or something??? I'm trying to figure out how a thread with nothing showing but Gram posters can somehow drag James Bell into it.

Anyway, JSU's head coach is very rarely loved by everybody in Jackson. W. C. could never do anything right to a lot of people. He told us a year or two ago, that when he finished somebody asked him what he was gonna do. He said, when he was coach, all the fans did was boo him, so he's gonna go to the games, sit in the stands, and boo the coach. It was a joke, but it had a lot of truth to it.

Now please explain to me how Bell got into this.

Robber,

Sports board by-laws state that James Bell must be a part of every thread, even the ones about water polo and NASCAR. People are only following the rules. Stop being so hard on 'em.

Robber said:
Did some posts get deleted or something??? I'm trying to figure out how a thread with nothing showing but Gram posters can somehow drag James Bell into it.

Anyway, JSU's head coach is very rarely loved by everybody in Jackson. W. C. could never do anything right to a lot of people. He told us a year or two ago, that when he finished somebody asked him what he was gonna do. He said, when he was coach, all the fans did was boo him, so he's gonna go to the games, sit in the stands, and boo the coach. It was a joke, but it had a lot of truth to it.

Now please explain to me how Bell got into this.

Rob,

here
MikeBigg said:

LOL@ u HBCU's!!!!! So true!!!

It's my fault...but actually, it was just a little "dig" at my Mafia brethren here on TSPN. Yall know I gots love for Jackson (really I do) but I just felt like messing with TP, GR, and Robber. Mostly TP cuz he's always getting on Spears case and praising Bell.

It was mostly in jest...but in my honest opinion, Bell did a disservice to the JSU tradition and fans by coming in and dismantling things. Maybe it will work out...but I think he made a mistake by handling things the way he did. Jackson State should never go 2 and 10 in football.

Back