Under-rated players in SWAC history

JROCK said:
I vehemently agree with your assertion. :tup:

He was good and had good size...but before him was Mike Moore at GSU during the Doug Williams era. I think his career record for total catches stood until Scotty Anderson and later Tramon Douglas (who was awesome).

Greg Wesley - walk-on db at UAPB. Only played college ball 3 years. Entered the NFL draft 2 weeks before the draft. Drafted in the 3rd round by the KC Chiefs. Started every game for 5 years.

Here are some few would ever think of....

Tim McNair -- Steve's brother could go across the middle and make tough catches. He was on the All-SWAC team.

Carlos Leach -- Southern's former place kicker. He could boot a 50-yarder easy. When Southern got across the 50, I would say to myself, "Well, they've got 3 points at least."

Eddie Robinson -- Not the coach, the player. The Alabama State's linebacker who ended up having a decent NFL career. He seemed to always be around the ball.

Kobie Jenkins -- Tall, fast, and great hands. Had 70 receptions and over 1,000yards receiving in 1994 for Alcorn.

Destry Wright -- Love to see him run. Had over 1,500 yards rushing two straight seasons. Would have been a Pittsburgh Steeler if he didn't break his leg. :bawling: Most rushing yards in a career for the SWAC.

HBCUs said:
Since we've been on the subject of great players in SWAC history, I'll slightly change the conversation by asking:

Who are the most under-rated players in SWAC history (football).

The players that always get overlooked when we talk about the Rices and Paytons of the league, but players that made you :tup: when they played for your team (or :scared: when you had to face 'em) on a given Saturday.

I'll start:

Brad Baxter (ASU) -- this dude was monsterous back with speed who hardly gets mentioned. Had a solid pro career as well.

Torrance Small (Alcorn)-- He along with C.C. Tillman gave NcNair formidable targets during his freshman year, and are part of the reason McNair exploded onto the scene the way he did.

Eric Randle (SU) -- This dude quietly won a lot of games at SU. He was very polished and had all the measureables.

Lewis Tillman (JSU) -- Shattered Payton's record and won about 3 (maybe 4?) SWAC titles. He stuffed the stat sheet weekly against 8 man fronts in a relatively conservative JSU offense.

Corey Holmes (Valley) -- Spark plug back that just about everyone had a fit trying to stop. Played on some pretty weak Valley teams and never had any help.

Honorable Mention: TSU had a running back tandem in the late 90s (Bradley and Sieh) who were hell on wheels as well. Both were 1000 yard backs if I remember correctly. Who knows the kind of numbers they might've put up if either was the feature back?

Who ya got?

UAPB top 5 Underrated Players
1.Greg Wesley Db UAPB-now plays for KC Cheifs
2.Robert Marshall-WR UAPB-played under Cooley and was All-American and outstanding wide out-Was signed as a free-agent but failed a mandate drug test with Houston Oilers
3.Dante Wesley DB UAPB- now plays with Carolina Panthers.
4. Ivory Lee Brown-Played under Cooley but SWAC got a small taste and ran over and ran thru SU,Valley and other SWAC defenses-Signed by Phoenix Cardianals-Had knee surgery and lost interest in Playbook.
5. L.C. Greenwood DE UAPB- Maybe one of the best to play the game and should be in Hall of Fame.

MikeBigg said:
He was good and had good size...but before him was Mike Moore at GSU during the Doug Williams era. I think his career record for total catches stood until Scotty Anderson and later Tramon Douglas (who was awesome).

I remember Moore.......he too was a good one........

Mr. Tiger said:
Here are some few would ever think of....

Carlos Leach -- Southern's former place kicker. He could boot a 50-yarder easy. When Southern got across the 50, I would say to myself, "Well, they've got 3 points at least."

This was my favorite of all Southern kickers...........I believe he was from Jackson, MS. (Roger Serrano was one of Otis Washington boys that was pretty good too.........but that Carlos Leach, I never felt nervous when he came on the fieild) :tup:

BTW.........This is an outstanding thread...

Corey Holmes Valley (RB) The last back-to-back SWAC Player of the Year, both times on a losing team. The one word I can use about Corey from knowing him personally would be heart. That man ran hard every carry and tried his best to win on terrible teams.

Samuel Dickerson Valley (LB) Was a devestating tackling machine, but could never stay healthy

Terry Houzah Valley (LB) Came to Valley as a Fullback from Rolling Fork, was switched to linebacker and proceeded to get his shine on

O'Keefe Henderson Valley (CB) Was a consistent db for Valley that came up with some big plays, but never really got the attention he deserved because of the relatively poor overall defense

Terrell Adams (WR) This little guy was one of the most dangerous kick off or punt returners in the SWAC. The only thing that worked against him was the fact that he was so short.

JROCK said:
This was my favorite of all Southern kickers...........I believe he was from Jackson, MS. (Roger Serrano was one of Otis Washington boys that was pretty good too.........but that Carlos Leach, I never felt nervous when he came on the fieild) :tup:

Leach is from Jackson. I actually played football with him and a few other guys in the backyards of my hood many times. But I didn't even know he could kick until I saw him at Southern.

JROCK said:

Yep ole Carlos was from my HS in Jackson...Callaway just like former JSU star and J'Ville Jaguar WR Jimmy Smith.. Also former New Orleans Saints and Alcorn DB Milton Mack. I went to HS with him in the early 80's. He was part of that secondary at Alcorn along with Holt that shut Valley down in 84. Solid pro career.

I tell you who else was underated was Tim Barnett. He got his butt in trouble while he was a player in KC. But he was fast becoming Montana's favorite target before the trouble happened off the field. Jimmy and Tim terrorized SWAC secondaries.

Leach was the last black kicker in the SWAC who was legit....when he hit that 50-yarder in 96 I knew he was the real deal...

Holmes was hurt by Dorsey's departure....Dorsey had to sit him out in 1999 and knew the talent had had but he played on bad teams with Jones...

that 1997 team UAPB brought to the SWAC that lost to SU in double OT.....most talented team you never heard of....Rod Robinson was a wrecking crew..unfortunately..NCAA rules never gave UAPB's program that type of talent again

but watching Texas Southern as a kid................Alberto White (only player I remember who got booted off, left school early and drafted by the NFL)...crazy as hell

Joe Burch...drafted by the Patriots..hell of a center

Cedric Douglas....SU fans from 1996 remember him at homecoming...led TSU from a 20-7 deficit and beat SU....

PV
Deontay Wilson - 1998 SWAC Freshman of the Year.....if he played in the scholarship era he would've been hell to deal with at receiver

Mr. Tiger said:
How in the hell he didn't make the NFL.

Andre Davis(DL)SU-No one scored on SU until he went down with and injury in the 4th game of the season. NC&T took him out, 1 lineman hit him high and 1 went for the knees:shame: . I have never saw a D-lineman dominate the swac like he did. In SU's 1st game against nationally ranked Northwestern he had something like 5 sacks. He went on to play in the NFL but he was never the same after the injury.

Leach had a powerful leg but he kicked too low....

some of the hardest hits I remember....

in 87 game in jackson... "Sack" Seals blindside blitzing Nate Harrison and knocking him out of the game...

in 93 game in jackson... Eric Randall doing a hard count drawing Fernando Smith and hitting him sooo hard he fleww about 3 yards in the air knocking him out of the game for a series. He showed heart came back in and won 16-3, held j-state on 2 goal line stands No Touchdowns.... No cannon fired that night execpt for the boom. (thinking about it we can start another 3 page thread on the jsu-su series)

Any old school jags remember Douglass Craft played oth coner w/Anneas Williams in the late eighties/early nineties when you had to have shut down corners to survive in the swac

Also another pair was Jerry Wilson(who was cut by the chargers this week) and Matthew Dorsett, them boys were so cold they would play off recievers bait the qb into throwing then use thier speed to get the pick.

JR said:
Yep ole Carlos was from my HS in Jackson...Callaway just like former JSU star and J'Ville Jaguar WR Jimmy Smith.. Also former New Orleans Saints and Alcorn DB Milton Mack. I went to HS with him in the early 80's. He was part of that secondary at Alcorn along with Holt that shut Valley down in 84. Solid pro career.

I tell you who else was underated was Tim Barnett. He got his butt in trouble while he was a player in KC. But he was fast becoming Montana's favorite target before the trouble happened off the field. Jimmy and Tim terrorized SWAC secondaries.

Tim "Blues Man: Barnett...he was a good receiver. I remember something going wrong in Kansas City and he was let go. I saw him during a SWAC Tour and he said that WC Gordon used to let him bring his tapes on trips cuz he listened to Blues like Gordon. He cracked the crowd up when he said (and I'm paraphrasing) " I don't really like the blues that much...but Coach Gordon does. Unlike my teammates, I know that WC really means "Will Cut and Won't Care".

Back