Under-rated players in SWAC history

A Few Gramblingnites 70-80s under the radar......

Skip Ezel QB
Carlis Pennywell WR
Robert Woods WR (world class speed)
Sammy White WR...NFL Rookie of the year Minnesota
Trumaine Johnson WR....probably should have not gone after the money in the USFL and opted for the NFL

(4 OUT OF 5 are from the 70's)

mighty hornet said:
Ricky Jones, (ASU QB) Could throw for accuracy, throw long, and could run the ball too.

Helluva QB.

I put Ricky Jones in the same category as Randle, Holmes, and Strahan. Guys with standout careers who somehow hardly ever get mentioned nowadays.

Alcorn..........under the radar

Big Jimmy Giles WR..........Tampa Bay
Issac Holt.....DB
Torrence Small WR.......N.O. Saints
Fred McNair....CFL
John Thierry.....chi

Get Ready said:
Dude....

Nobody from SU knows anything about SU football but JR.
Most of them think SU football started the year Pete arrived and before that Mumford. The all draw a blank for the 30 years in between.

This is from the man that anointed Dumbbell as the savior for SWAC and JSU football. :lol: :emlaugh:

Croft84 said:
Darion Connors (JSU) PS I know he is lock down now, but back in the days.
Vincent "Undertaker" Brown (MVSU)
Mario Kirsey (JSU)
"Sir" Isiac Holt (ASU)
Truman Johnson (GSU)

I don't think Ike Holt was underrated, he was well rerspected around the SWAC and went first pick in the 2nd round.

Jim Osborne (SU - 72) was the pulling guard for Walter Payton during the Chicgo Bears losing years. He retired a year or two before the Bears won the Super Bowl.

I'd never put Jacoby over Eric Randall (not Randle)...only difference between them was Jacoby's circumstances that led him to the starting job, his lack of melanin and the ishtstorm that followed. But he was a decent QB...

Kendrick Nord was off the chain...

Now the other Wesley from PB..not the one with the Chiefs (Greg), but the one with the Panthers (Dante)...man he slipped under the radar for a minute.

But when AAMU got into the SWAC they had some linebacker with Mathis that was pretty decent. I forgot his name, but he was good.

The QB from Jackson when they had Cat Morris and Destry..he was good.

However, I know who won't be on this list: Codie Smith-Robinson or whatever his name was... :topic:

Journalist said:
But when AAMU got into the SWAC they had some linebacker with Mathis that was pretty decent. I forgot his name, but he was good.

Are you talking about Eric Chappelle?

Willie Totten - great qb at valley, but pro's thought his game wasn't good enuff.

Everson Walls - so much talent on his team
Jake Reed
Harold Carmichael
Rufus Porter

Jaguar94 said:
Willie Totten - great qb at valley, but pro's thought his game wasn't good enuff.

Everson Walls - so much talent on his team
Jake Reed
Harold Carmichael
Rufus Porter

Rufus Porter S.U.......seahawks definitely..........not sure if the other 3 went under the radar though. :lol: :emlaugh:

Da_Sperm said:
What was the name of the QB from UAPB that played backup to Payton Manning for a couple years in the mid-90s, but didn't get much SWAC attention.

I think that was Roderick Robinson. Yall also had a RB, Ray Nealy that was damn good. That renegade team was full of horses.

Mark Washington was underrated in my opinion - poor performances against Southern did him in.

Grambling had a QB in the late 80's that was pretty good. I remember him ripping us apart the week after Southern ended our winning streak.

Marlo Perry was an All-SWAC LB for 4 years at JSU in the early 90's.

Carl Bynum from Valley is often overlooked because he was a RB on those Totten-Rice teams. But he was a 1000 yard back and he had a solid pro career.

Quincy Coleman and Bo Lewis were both excellant 4 year starters at CB for JSU from 94-97. They gave us a luxury few teams had - 2 lock down corners. I'll never forget that lick Coleman put on one of SU's WRs in that epic 95 game.

Ntelekt said:
Are you talking about Eric Chappelle?

I think that's his name Ntelekt...but he'll never be ...

Mickey Dean.... :topic: Dayum you CLeb... :bowdown: :bowdown:

Hmmm

Joe Thomas WR (MVSU)....opposite Jerry Rice and just as dangerous.
Rufus Porter LB (SU)...was terror as a LB.
Gillis Wilson DE (SU)...terribly underrated.
Roger Serrano P-K (SU)...haven't had one nearly as proficient since him.
Nate Harrison QB (SU)
Calvin Magee TE (SU)...none like him since

Forgotten names...

TE for Alcorn St. during the McNair years.
Lawd...I don't know how many LB's from JSU during the late 80's.

:bowdown: :bowdown:

JROCK...you must mean Calvin Magee, offensive coordinator of the West Virginia Mountaineers and former SU TE

Journalist said:
JROCK...you must mean Calvin Magee, offensive coordinator of the West Virginia Mountaineers and former SU TE

Yes.........he played with Tampa Bay......( It's been a minute but I think Otis Washington coached him at S.U. ) We haven't had a TE (IMHO) of that caliber since........

Jason Bratton (GSU) FB
Broderick Fobbs (GSU) RB
Ab Kuan (GSU) RB
Henry Tolbert (GSU) Athlete
Alex Perkins (GSU) QB
Lionel Hayes (GSU) QB
Clemente Gordon (GSU) QB

Let me try:

Nate Harrison qb (owned Jackson st in Jackson) played on subpar teams

Lindsay Scott rb rushed for 1000 yards in Pete's inaugural season

Heisma Northern db from Glen Oaks H. S.

Quincy Richard qb (from laughing stock to Superstar)

Ice Man said:
Leslie Frazier (Alcorn 81) - went from an undrafted free agent to starting Cornerback on what maybe the greatest NFL defense ever (85 Bears). He was a shut down cornerback, a hard hitting safety, and game breaking punt returner for the Braves.

He killed Grambling in Shreveport with kick returns and interceptions. I think he scored about 3 times. Grambling came back and didn't lose another game that season. Frazier got injured in the Super Bowl against the Patriots and never made it back. I think he's coaching in the league now...maybe the Bengals?

Back