Under-rated players in SWAC history

HBCUs

Deep in Tha Heart of...
Since we've been on the subject of great players in SWAC history, I'll slightly change the conversation by asking:

Who are the most under-rated players in SWAC history (football).

The players that always get overlooked when we talk about the Rices and Paytons of the league, but players that made you :tup: when they played for your team (or :scared: when you had to face 'em) on a given Saturday.

I'll start:

Brad Baxter (ASU) -- this dude was monsterous back with speed who hardly gets mentioned. Had a solid pro career as well.

Torrance Small (Alcorn)-- He along with C.C. Tillman gave NcNair formidable targets during his freshman year, and are part of the reason McNair exploded onto the scene the way he did.

Eric Randle (SU) -- This dude quietly won a lot of games at SU. He was very polished and had all the measureables.

Lewis Tillman (JSU) -- Shattered Payton's record and won about 3 (maybe 4?) SWAC titles. He stuffed the stat sheet weekly against 8 man fronts in a relatively conservative JSU offense.

Corey Holmes (Valley) -- Spark plug back that just about everyone had a fit trying to stop. Played on some pretty weak Valley teams and never had any help.

Honorable Mention: TSU had a running back tandem in the late 90s (Bradley and Sieh) who were hell on wheels as well. Both were 1000 yard backs if I remember correctly. Who knows the kind of numbers they might've put up if either was the feature back?

Who ya got?

My bad... I realize that was an offense-heavy list. Defenders are welcome as well.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Re: Underrated players in SWAC history

Micheal Strahan (TSU) -- somehow get lost in these disscussions, especially considering the pro career he's had.
Fernando Smith (JSU)
John Thierry (Alcorn)
Ashley Ambrose (Valley)
Walter Dean (Grambling)

The whole JSU defensive front 85-88. LOL

Darion Connors (JSU) PS I know he is lock down now, but back in the days.
Vincent "Undertaker" Brown (MVSU)
Mario Kirsey (JSU)
"Sir" Isiac Holt (ASU)
Truman Johnson (GSU)

You think Randle was under rated?

Top of my list....Corey "damn" Holmes? GR loved that kid, but GR hated THAT kid. Damn he could run....If it wasnt for Destry Wright.....

Andre Reed (DE JSU 99) - Led the SWAC in sacks, but wasnt first team All SWAC.TGO thinks some DL from SU tripped over somebody and made a tackle that year to make first team.

Ricky Jones, (ASU QB) Could throw for accuracy, throw long, and could run the ball too.

Dowtown Reggie Brown (ASU WR) great hands and leaping ability. I don't think I'll ever forget the TD he caught on the last play of the game against troy state, giving ASU a win. Jumped over a slew of defenders and brought down a TD in the corner of the end zone.

Get Ready said:
You think Randle was under rated?

I think Randle was a good QB. Although SU's defense carried them during those years, Randle was the first to learn/run Orlando's system, and the fact that Richardson was pretty conservative on offense must be taken into account. By '95 he was very comfortable in that system, and it showed. I think he was a muuuch better QB than the guys who followed him at SU. The later QBs had the benefit of playing in a system that was well-entrenched.

We were the only thing that stood in Randle's way in '95. SU pasted everyone else on their schedule that year. Their offense was arguably the most potent in the conference.

Randle won 11 games in '93 and '95. I can't remember how many he won in '94. To this day I don't know how we beat them in Baton Rouge that year. I do remember Randle getting knocked out of the game in both '94 and '95 though. :D

That reminds me...

Speaking of '95, Melvin Williams was a hell of back at SU. It's too bad he couldn't stay on the field. What happened to that dude?

All you said was true....but was he UNDER rated? Did he not get recognition for the accomplishments above?

Get Ready said:
All you said was true....but was he UNDER rated? Did he not get recognition for the accomplishments above?

He might have at the time... I wasn't online then so I don't remember the props he got. For some strange reason, I'd hear SU folks mention their late 90s QBs (Jacoby, George, Williams? etc :vomit: ) before they'd brag on Randle. I guess because as good as he was, he only won the SWAC once.

I figured I'd bring him up because he's rarely brought up in these latest conversations about SWAC greats.

Lester Holmes (JSU)

Gmen where ya'll at? I figured ya'll would've named dropped about 40 guys by now.

HBCUs said:
For some strange reason, I'd hear SU folks mention their late 90s QBs (Jacoby, George, Williams? etc ) before they'd brag on Randle. .

Huh???? I've NEVER heard an SU fan say any of those guys was better than Randall.

jag4life said:
Huh???? I've NEVER heard an SU fan say any of those guys was better than Randall.

I didn't say that anyone was crazy enough to say those guys were better than Randle, but I'd hear props given to those guys when they paled in comparison to their predecessor. :confused: This was around 2000 or so, mind you.

Like I said, maybe it all boiled down to winning. SU won titles '97-'99, as opposed to one title in '93 under Randle, so perhaps it was only natural to hype those guys at the time. We tend to lean towards the fondest memories. Example: I can remember a lot of details from the mid/ late 80's and mid/late 90s, but my early 90s memories get fuzzy. And I doubt I'll remember much (on the field) from 2000-2005 some 4 years from now. :D

Actually I think those guys are mentioned when people make comments about SU's talent. We say "If we had Jacoby and still beat you, anyone can."

HBCUs said:
He might have at the time... I wasn't online then so I don't remember the props he got. For some strange reason, I'd hear SU folks mention their late 90s QBs (Jacoby, George, Williams? etc :vomit: ) before they'd brag on Randle. I guess because as good as he was, he only won the SWAC once.

I figured I'd bring him up because he's rarely brought up in these latest conversations about SWAC greats.
Dude....

Nobody from SU knows anything about SU football but JR.
Most of them think SU football started the year Pete arrived and before that Mumford. The all draw a blank for the 30 years in between.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
HBCUs said:
Lester Holmes (JSU)

Gmen where ya'll at? I figured ya'll would've named dropped about 40 guys by now.
You mean first round draft choice Lester Holmes?
Thats a pretty high rating dude.

Leslie Frazier (Alcorn 81) - went from an undrafted free agent to starting Cornerback on what maybe the greatest NFL defense ever (85 Bears). He was a shut down cornerback, a hard hitting safety, and game breaking punt returner for the Braves.

James Davis DB (S.U. 79) later Superbowl Champion Oakland Raider
Issac Haggins WR (S.U. 75) Doug Williams target at Tampa Bay
Georga Foreman WR (S.U. 78) All SWAC started as a rookie for L.A. RAMS
Gerald Perry OL (S.U. 85) over 7 year NFL starter...Rams

3 of the 4 guys on this list i actually know.....(two i went to school with) I just identified a few from S.U. I know of several others around the swac.........too many has gone under the radar......i'd be naming all day.

What was the name of the QB from UAPB that played backup to Payton Manning for a couple years in the mid-90s, but didn't get much SWAC attention.

Re: Underrated players in SWAC history

HBCUs said:
Micheal Strahan (TSU) -- somehow get lost in these disscussions, especially considering the pro career he's had.
Fernando Smith (JSU)
John Thierry (Alcorn)
Ashley Ambrose (Valley)
Walter Dean (Grambling)

The whole JSU defensive front 85-88. LOL

Fernando Smith was a beast at JSU! I remember seeing him on the Field against Grambling and dude was really good!

Alberto White - Texas Southern (supposedly the first HBCU football player to get drafted before his senior season).

James "Big Country" Johnson (JSU). 1400-yard back in '90. Trouble off the field ended his career in a flash.

Back