UAPB TV Contract, 2nd only to Notre Dame

Da_Sperm

COMMERCIAL COLUMINST NATE OLSON -- UAPV MAKES MARK WITH ITS TELEVISION DEAL

Arkansas-Pine Bluff will have more football games televised this season than its big brothers Arkansas and Arkansas State .

Heck, no one in the country at any level will receive more airplay than the Golden Lions this season.

"The only team that may be on TV more than us is Notre Dame," said UAPB Coach Lee Hardman with a laugh, referring to the catholic school's exclusive contract with NBC. "It is a great deal. People from all over the state are going to be able to watch us play. It is going to help our program and the school."

UAPB announced this week that eight of the 11 Golden Lion games are going to be aired on Pax or WB affiliates in Arkansas.

Two other games will be carried nationally by the MBC network, which is available to cable subscribers in the Little Rock area.

The only game that will not be carried live is the Gateway Classic. It will be rebroadcast on Tuesday, Sept. 30 on UAPB TV Channel 24.

That means UAPB fans can watch 10 of the 11 games live from their living rooms, no matter if the Golden Lions are playing in Baton Rouge, La. or Huntsville, Ala.

Also, all of the games will be broadcast on the school's internet site, allowing fans and alumni from across the country to root for UAPB as well.

"We have the capacity to get to get to 1.2 million viewers (in the state of Arkansas)," said UAPB Technical Services Department head Maurice Ficklin. "Now we have an ability to let people see UAPB football. So now, Coach Hardman is known across the state and guys like Antonio Lovelady and C.T. (Calvin Thomas) are known as well. People will know them now, and they will become household names.

"You don't have to just read about them in the newspaper. You can see them on television. That's going to help not only football, but it will help all athletics and the university."

Ficklin said commercials will be sold for the games, and he expects for the first season to break even. Eventually, the school will hire an advertising agency to sell more spots and possibly make money.

UAPB pays as Ficklin puts it "a nominal fee," for the airtime. The school must also pay for the use of a satellite truck.

Pine Bluff native Doug Walls will handle the play-by-play duties for the broadcast and will be teamed up with color commentator Vince Bailey, who has done television work in the Little Rock market and is now employed in the UAPB technical services department.

UAPB's campus radio

See OLSON on Page 3B

station KUAP 89.7 FM will again broadcast all of the games on the radio as well. KUAP's signal reaches well into Little Rock and all of Southeast Arkansas.

Timm Stubbs, who did TV play-by-play last year and is a Watson Chapel alum, will move to the radio booth and join longtime sports information director Carl Whimper, who will do the color. Johnny Jones will also do sideline reporting for the broadcast.

Ficklin, who starred for the football and track teams at Pine Bluff High School in the late 1970's, is leading the charge on the project that is a few years in the making.

"This is part of Chancellor Davis' (Lawrence A. Davis, Jr.) vision that he started about two years ago," Ficklin said. "Chancellor Davis wanted to bigger and better things.

"What we did was follow the particular vision the Chancellor had. We have created a package that no university, especially an HBC (Historically Black College), has ever done. Nobody in Division I-AA has a package like this. What's great is that it is UAPB TV doing it.

"It isn't ABC or UPN doing it. This is UAPB TV doing it, and that is what is so great about it."

Under Ficklin's leadership, Golden Lion Stadium became wireless and the campus TV station televised on a tape-delayed basis most of last year's football games and some basketball games. Ficklin also oversaw the internet webcasting of home games the last two years and the inception of live radio broadcast of football and basketball games.

Kudos to Ficklin, his staff and the administration at UAPB. It is that kind of innovative thinking that will help UAPB garner respect across the state.

UAPB suffers from the effects of negative stereotypes that have been perpetuated over the years because of ignorance.

There are some great things going on at the school, and the broadcasting venture proves it -- and proves it to a statewide audience.

What Ficklin and Co. is manufacturing is going to cause a trickle-down effect. The football team stands to benefit the most. Hardman is excited about the fact that people in Northwest Arkansas will get to see the games, especially recruits in the AAAAA--West territory where there is a wealth of talent that may not be familiar with the program.

Recruits also applies to prospective students and student athletes in other sports. The exposure can do nothing but help everyone associated with UAPB.

If the broadcasts are as professional and successful as Ficklin thinks they will be, UAPB has pulled of an historic deal that could pay big dividends in the years to come.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Wow, now another reason for UAPB fans to stay at home....:smh:

No, but seriously, Congratulations to UAPB and this deal. This is the way it is supposed to be done. Not like that pie-in-the-sky type deal that FAM signed. Good Luck UAPB-TV on producing and televising these games. Now I hope more of our schools will go out and be agressive and secure these type deals. It is a chance for our students to get actual experience while attaining their college degrees.

Are they producing a weekly Coach Hardiman show also?

Originally posted by Vinita
I sure as HELL hope not!!

:xeye:

Now there you go again........:lol: If you and Sperm go to any games this year, please sit on the visitors side away from this man. Better yet sit way at the top on the visitors side. Cause I can just see with the right amount of Grey Goose n juice, you just tearing across the field or jumping the fence and beating that man down!!!!! :lmao: :lmao:

This guy, Ficklin, is taking technology to places the technology makers didn't think it could go. Companies like Cisco. This will be UAPB's 3rd or 4th year to broadcast football games live via the internet. No other sport in the country (profession or amauter) are able to do that today. UAPB is its own provider of phone, cable, internet, and wireless services. They no longer need Sprint, AT&T, SBC. In fact, the entire campus is now wireless. Imagine sitting in front of the student union on the internet. I think the students can get wireless services from UAPB if they lease the phone from UAPB. I know each student in the dorm has this big azz $600 phone that is required to work with the UAPB network.

Ficklin has UAPB on pace to provide these services to the community of Pine Bluff and Southeast Arkansas. UAPB can now broadcast every class over the internet (I know class attendance will go down!!)

I'm glad they took the next step and use their own TV to broadcast the games. I'm sure the locals will still come out, but it gives the entire state a chance to see what's going on at UAPB. Now almost every game will be broadcast live over the internet, radio, and TV.

Originally posted by Da_Sperm
This guy, Ficklin, is taking technology to places the technology makers didn't think it could go. Companies like Cisco. This will be UAPB's 3rd or 4th year to broadcast football games live via the internet. No other sport in the country (profession or amauter) are able to do that today. UAPB is its own provider of phone, cable, internet, and wireless services. They no longer need Sprint, AT&T, SBC. In fact, the entire campus is now wireless. Imagine sitting in front of the student union on the internet. I think the students can get wireless services from UAPB if they lease the phone from UAPB. I know each student in the dorm has this big azz $600 phone that is required to work with the UAPB network.

Ficklin has UAPB on pace to provide these services to the community of Pine Bluff and Southeast Arkansas. UAPB can now broadcast every class over the internet (I know class attendance will go down!!)

I'm glad they took the next step and use their own TV to broadcast the games. I'm sure the locals will still come out, but it gives the entire state a chance to see what's going on at UAPB. Now almost every game will be broadcast live over the internet, radio, and TV.

Damn...I love it!!! :tup: :tup: :tup:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Yup, maybe all this airtime will strike a good coach out there somewhere with the idea,"Hey I could take that job!"
No but it is great we got a deal like that. And it will take away from attendance because i know i aint driving my butt to PB and payin $20 when i can sit at home and watch it. But it's still more of a good thing than it is a bad. Is there a schedule posted any where for which games and which channels?

Originally posted by Bengal E
Now there you go again........:lol: If you and Sperm go to any games this year, please sit on the visitors side away from this man. Better yet sit way at the top on the visitors side. Cause I can just see with the right amount of Grey Goose n juice, you just tearing across the field or jumping the fence and beating that man down!!!!! :lmao: :lmao:

My mama won't let me. :shame:

COMMERCIAL COLUMINST NATE OLSON -- UAPV MAKES MARK WITH ITS TELEVISION DEAL

Arkansas-Pine Bluff will have more football games televised this season than its big brothers Arkansas and Arkansas State .

Heck, no one in the country at any level will receive more airplay than the Golden Lions this season.

"The only team that may be on TV more than us is Notre Dame," said UAPB Coach Lee Hardman with a laugh, referring to the catholic school's exclusive contract with NBC. "It is a great deal. People from all over the state are going to be able to watch us play. It is going to help our program and the school."

Another critical building block to the inevitable HBCU/Div I-A conference!!! YEAH!!! GO UAPB!!!!

Originally posted by COACH
So no direct monetary gain for uapb on the tv deal? The internet deal is real cool.

The monetary gain is UAPB sells commercial spots in 3 different media (TV, radio, internet). Plus, they are able to market itself to prospective students.

The monetary gain is UAPB sells commercial spots in 3 different media (TV, radio, internet). Plus, they are able to market itself to prospective students.

That's how you make that money the right way:tup:

I watched the game over the internet and I tell you I was really impressed. The students handles the entire production, except for the play-by-play. I don't know how the TV and radio turned out, because I can't see it here in Texas, but the UAPBNet production was very good. The sideline reporting was very good, injury updates, and half-time.

The most impressive thing about half-time was they were able to do up close shot without the up close sound that you get from a BET production. That sound always makes an instrument sound flat and horrible.

Being in Dallas, TX, we don't get any HBCU football airtime. Not even on direct TV. So, its good to be able to see all UAPB games over the NET, whether its home or an away game.

I watched the game over the internet and I tell you I was really impressed. The students handles the entire production, except for the play-by-play. I don't know how the TV and radio turned out, because I can't see it here in Texas, but the UAPBNet production was very good. The sideline reporting was very good, injury updates, and half-time.

I too watched most of the game over the web and I was very impressed. UAPB has set the bar for all schools, not just HBCU's. I hope the other administrations in the SWAC take note of what is going on in Pine Bluff and emulate.

Originally posted by cat daddy
I too watched most of the game over the web and I was very impressed. UAPB has set the bar for all schools, not just HBCU's. I hope the other administrations in the SWAC take note of what is going on in Pine Bluff and emulate.

Both the tv and radio productions were very well done. Both were highly professional. The tv was way better than anything Bet has done, from the announcers to the instant replay to the clear pictures. A student did the sideline reporting and one was part of the play by play team and they were both very professional. They even had a great filler section on uapb done by students during the rain delay. I got to give hats off to them..

Back