To All you Band Geeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by "NOISE TALKA"
The BOOM practices everyday...Monday through Friday from 6:00 pm - until. They start off in the F.D. Hall Music Center. They usually stay inside and spend about 45 minutes on warm-up. Then about an hour and a half on music. Then they march out to the field. Now they've changed the practice field. They practice over behind Blackburn now instead of behind T.B. Ellis. They will be out there for about 2 and a half hours Mon. through Thurs. and 1 and a half hour on Friday nights. Then they go back inside and spend about another two hours on music.....

Dang! The band sure does put in a lot of hours, huh??
That's a lot time put in to not just play at halftime, huh? :D
But I digress...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
So now everybody is paying to see the bands play and not the football game. I coulda sworn that when the games end, 75% of every damn soul in the stadium leaves. The other 25% hangs around and watches the BOB. Bands do bring a lot of fans, but don't be naive enough to think that JSU has averaged 30,000 plus fans because of the band. I think those 10-1, 9-2, and 8-3 teams had a lot to do with it.

Anyway, the band just needs to stop playing as soon as the team runs on the field. Don't wait until they break the huddle and get ready to snap the ball. It's too damn late at that point. They gotta listen in the huddle. They gotta listen at the line of scrimmage before the snap.

And if y'all think that all them damn people are the to see y'all bands, y'all go serious problems. And those problems are the reason why the band plays when it does. They think they are the attraction. When y'all have them BOBs, all that's there are bands and all they do is play. Put together 10 high school and 5 college bands and all the band fans will come out. Y'all don't think all them folk that flew or drove to Houston went because the Boom was going, do you???

True Mach.
But the songs he's speaking of did not start when the QB went under center. They started during timeouts and breaks in action....they sometimes carry over to the next play though.

Again, your precious song carries over into the next play. Here is what I have a problem with. The team came back for the beginning of the fourth quarter and you couldnt stop playing because you were in the middle of your precious song. Why not just cut if off or play softly? You dont have to go to a damn break point, just stop playing. Is that asking too much? What if you mess the center QB exchange up cause the center cant hear the call? What if you cause a turnover? I guess its just too bad they didnt wait til your FN song was over....you know that precious one that carried over into the next pay.

Just a thought.....If you are walking along...on your way somwhere and someone calls you name, do you take a few more steps as you stop to see who it is. ... .. . . not because you don't want to stop, just because it's comes naturally. It like a reflex

First of all I cnt believe Im addressing this statement, but I will. Dude.....lets say I was walking down the street and I came to an intersection. Now, I have eyes and ears and a brain and I know that Im suppose to stop here. But when I get to the intersection, I dont stop, I take a few more steps off the curve cause my big dumb ass just cant stop before I step off that curve. I mean, I am walking aint I? I was walking before I got to this curve and who is that big Bus that has the light and the right of way to expect me to stop when he is driving along the street. So now me and this big bus collide and I mess somthing up....namely myself and the clean streets. Is it my fault that I didnt stop right away (cause I was in stride), or should the bus not expect me to obey simple rules and do what Im suppose to do.

This is Hall of Fame Stuff.

Judging from some the responses to this thread, I had no idea that bands were actually modified street gangs.

pvcccrips.jpg

I'm sorry BOOM, but you're wrong in this argument. I can understand being warned once by the refs for excessive play during the game, but 3 times???

Furthermore, when I make the long-azzed ride from Auburn, AL to Jackson, Memphis, etc., I travel to see the team. I could give damn how the band performed if the team ends up losing.

One other thing. Why do you bandsmen feel that you have to show your superiority with threats and invitations to fight??? Internet tough guys. Inviting my man to come to your band practice to face down 200+ horn toting people. That's real tough.

Me and Dances went to the Mississippi State/ University of Houston game last Saturday. It was like night and day from the JSU game we saw eariler. The bands from both schools actually acted like they had a purpose for being there. They pumped their respective fans up by playing little "mini-riffs" (not whole songs) during dead balls, and once the play resumed, they shut the hell up. It was beautiful. They actually enhanced and built up the game action instead of taking away from it.

This was an prime example of what a BCF game could one day become if we could just do something about all these arrogant band geeks and their grandstanding.

My eyes have seen the glory. U of H has shown me the way.

What the fugg?...at that analogy. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: dude you clearly missed my point. I'm going to stop posting on this thread now as to keep my respect for you intact. Goodbye now yall.

GR you have the band practice schedule...
I'm not in the band anymore....you are preaching to the choir bro. I say handle your business.

Originally posted by bornthrilla
Me and Dances went to the Mississippi State/ University of Houston game last Saturday. It was like night and day from the JSU game we saw eariler. The bands from both schools actually acted like they had a purpose for being there. They pumped their respective fans up by playing little "mini-riffs" (not whole songs) during dead balls, and once the play resumed, they shut the hell up. It was beautiful. They actually enhanced and built up the game action instead of taking away from it.

This was an prime example of what a BCF game could one day become if we could just do something about all these arrogant band geeks and their grandstanding.

My eyes have seen the glory. U of H has shown me the way.

smh.....you and probably only 5% of the people that attend HBCU football games would enjoy that kind of environment.

I don't go to Mississippi State games.....and it's not because i can't afford the ticket....... That sh*t would have put me to fuggin sleep.

If you all want to see how much pull a band has come to Jackson this Sunday. Im willing to put money that 40- 50k shows up in Memorial. Any takers??? name your price.....

If you dont want to bet, stop crying. I hate to see grown men beg and plead, its sickning and a sign of weakness......

That Battle of the Bands drew 50,000 last year Goodfella...It was the day after our homecoming game, which drew 35,000. :(

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Originally posted by Robber
One other thing. Why do you bandsmen feel that you have to show your superiority with threats and invitations to fight??? Internet tough guys. Inviting my man to come to your band practice to face down 200+ horn toting people. That's real tough.

Robber,
GR acted like he was sooo pissed. You would think we lost. I said nothing about him fighting the band. I said he should address the band if he had a problem with it. That's all. Other people made statements that questioned the BOOM's fighting abilities or the lack their of. That's stupid to me, but i figure the only way to tell if the BOOM can or cannot take someone is to step to them and see.....

Man, you all and your analogies. :lmao: :lmao: Walking with no legs and walking off the curve. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Did any of you do stand up comedy before? I sure think I heard those all before. :confused:

lol @ this thread...........i wonder if there was ever a thread of this manner BEFORE jstate was having a rough season.........oh well...........:rolleyes: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Originally posted by GoodFella
If you all want to see how much pull a band has come to Jackson this Sunday. Im willing to put money that 40- 50k shows up in Memorial. Any takers??? name your price.....

If you dont want to bet, stop crying. I hate to see grown men beg and plead, its sickning and a signed of weakness. If you want to complain about something that matter, complain out the coach......
Dude, there will be umpteen bands in that place. To be fair, how many people do you think would show up if they had a football battle that included the teams from the exact same schools the bands are from???

So don't think because they gonna have all these damn bands in one place and a bunch of people show up means that the bands are more important. It's a damn special event. Like I said, put that many football teams in the same place and you couldn't sell enough tickets.

Comparing apples to figs will get your azz nowhere.

For the classic games, the bands may be more of an attraction. But during the overall season, its just half time. The band has no effect on the SWACs overall football standings. The quarterback and the drum majors are never mentioned in the same sentence. The bands involvement at football games should be kept in perspective.

Robber,
GR acted like he was sooo pissed. You would think we lost. I said nothing about him fighting the band. I said he should address the band if he had a problem with it. That's all. Other people made statements that questioned the BOOM's fighting abilities or the lack their of. That's stupid to me, but i figure the only way to tell if the BOOM can or cannot take someone is to step to them and see.....
Dude I woudn't talk trash and step to 200 midgets at the same time. How da hell would you expect someone to step to that many 18-22 year olds with horns.

So now everybody is paying to see the bands play and not the football game. I coulda sworn that when the games end, 75% of every damn soul in the stadium leaves. The other 25% hangs around and watches the BOB. Bands do bring a lot of fans, but don't be naive enough to think that JSU has averaged 30,000 plus fans because of the band. I think those 10-1, 9-2, and 8-3 teams had a lot to do with it.

People go to the games for different reasons. It's not all about football, just as it's not all about bands. Some folks go just to see who they can see. Some go to hang with friends or frats/sorors. The average 30,000 at JSU games are NOT ALL sitting down watching the game, like you probably are. A good percentage of them are walking around to be seen!
When I go, I go for both the team AND the band!

Y'all don't think all them folk that flew or drove to Houston went because the Boom was going, do you???

Of course not! :lol: Some people drove/flew to see if the Tigers were going to win their FIRST game of the season in the conference!

*since they closed my thread*

Can someone tell me what makes BLACK COLLEGE FOOTBALL unique, if it's not the band. What makes BLACK COLLEGE FOOTBALL any different. Most PWCs have more black players than our teams do.....So what's the difference? .... . smaller stadiums.

The band is THE defining quality of the Black College Football experience.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Mann,

It's rough on the YARD. Now you see why we have the attitude's that we have. :lmao: :lmao: We dog each other too.:bawling: :bawling:

Dude I woudn't talk trash and step to 200 midgets at the same time. How da hell would you expect someone to step to that many 18-22 year olds with horns.

lol. i know. that's my point. If you aren't gonna do that....don't come on the internet cursin and stuff all HARD.....talkin' down on those cats callin' em geeks etc. if you aint willing to step to them and say that. ..... Doesn't that make sense?

Look......If JSU played in JAPAN next week and the BOOM wasn't going....I WOULD BE THERE. I don't go just to see the band....I don't go just to see the team either. I think most folks that go to Black College games go for the TOTAL EXPERIENCE. You don't have to total package without both. Just as it wouldn't be the same for the bands to just show up....when the bands aren't there and its just the teams the atmosphere is not the same. At any school you are gonna have your diehard fans and just those fair-weathers. I go to the game to support the team and the band. I don't understand why the two can't just co-exist without this type non-sense. I think TSPN consist of that portion of these school's fan bases that are diehards....or else we would spend our weeks talkin back and forth about our schools....so in essence you are preaching to the choir.

LET'S JUST DROP IT! ONE LOVE. lol
and in the words of Dr. Lewis Liddell....
LOVE THE BOOM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back