SWAC Tournament

..at our best? Dude we had a losing record that year. We just pulled the tourney upset. You have not been in the SWAC when we were at our best.

Valley got the double digit win, but we didn't play poorly...just not good enuff to win. Props to Valley for the win...they won the first half by a bigger margin than we won the second half. That will get you a win every time.

Next year is year 4 and we need to see what type of players Wright will bring in to support and eventually replace the kids currently on staff. We lose McDonald of the starters but still need to upgrade in terms of talent and depth! We need inside big people who can finish and who can defend. Offense is good but unless you can make key stops you are not gonna win championships.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
if you don't lock up the true 6-8 kids in the early signing period, it's a long battle. Good luck on finding quality bigs this late unless you've been on them from day 1.

We just need to get some size and learn to develop them. We just need a kid that is willing to get in the weight room and work to become a low post defender and rebounder. That's what is missing in our league...good low post players.

I'm sure you've heard how Ben Wallace was unheralded and got a chance at Virginia Union. He worked and developed into a good enuff post player to make NBA all-star. The coaches in our league needs to first sign the kids for size and work to develop them as players.

Originally posted by Tigerpride
..at our best? Dude we had a losing record that year. We just pulled the tourney upset. You have not been in the SWAC when we were at our best.

The conference basketball talent level have been down for at least the last 5 years........I dont understand it. Can someone advise?

Our coaches have become complacent. They don't recruit as hard as they should (despite having enuff local talent to chose from and black high school coaches to develop relationships with) and they don't develop the talent that does come in. Face it, most of the kids we sign have been playing basketball since they were at least 8 years old. But our coaches (for the most part) don't develop the kids physically and in there knowledge of the game.

Interesting..........

I noticed that the new coaches in the league ie..PV & TXSU has put a little spark under the established coaches; we have to do much better in the round ball.

In football with Doug, Anthony Jones and Pete, I only look for good things. I feel football is a different story. Also LC Cole has some athletes and if he can keep his house clean, will eventually make a lot of noise. I will take a wait and see approach with J State coach.....he has surrounded himself with some good assistants and you can never write them off.

Originally posted by MikeBigg
Our coaches have become complacent. They don't recruit as hard as they should (despite having enuff local talent to chose from and black high school coaches to develop relationships with) and they don't develop the talent that does come in.

I like that analysis. Particularly the last sentence.

Back