SWAC presidents on 7-game: Not so fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
JSU said:
http://www.onnidan.com/05-06/news/may/ncatfb0518.htm

NC A&T adds LA-Lafayette to football schedule
May 18, 2006

GREENSBORO, N.C., -- North Carolina A&T Athletics Director Dee Todd has announced the completion of the Aggies? 2006 football schedule with the addition of the University of Louisiana-Lafayette to the schedule. The two teams meet each other on the gridiron for the first time on Sept. 23 at Cajun Field. The game is scheduled to start 5 p.m., eastern and 4 p.m., central time.

After never playing a Division I-A opponent before 2004, N.C. A&T will play its second Division I-A opponent in three years. Louisiana Lafayette is a Division I-A school out of the Sun Belt Conference. The Ragin? Cajuns finished 6-5 overall and finished tied for first in the Sun Belt with a 5-2 mark. They return 15 starters from the 2005 squad.

Ain't that a damm "Kick in the Head" JSU fans.:redhot:

I ain't mad at NC A&T though..................:tup: :tup:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
bluedog said:
Dude it's ULL not Ole Miss.

I know Blue..................But it shows the point JSU fans know I'm talking about.

1 open date each year for us.
We tried to sign a contract with them, Lou-Laf, or Georgia Southern, for the date we play Paul Quinn.............the school we had to settle for. Neither could be accomidated and the rest of our games, 10, are already basically set each year.

This 9 game mandate has put JSU in a scheduling black hole since it started.
We can't even get Lou-Laf on ours because we have no FLEX ROOM.

J C said:
I don't buy this assumption that the so-called big three would get first pick for classics. I know for a fact that the promoters in Detroit want Bama State annually for that classic. Not Jackson State, Hampton, Howard or FAMU.

That may be true but Detroit is the exception, not the rule. You all do not get very many classic invites. Also, the classic has not been going on long enough to see what schools can draw a crowd up there. Alabama is not the only state people migrated to Detroit from. Also, if they want Bama State, they should lock them in like others who want a particular team do. Ya'll ain't doing nothing else.

Tigerpride said:
That may be true but Detroit is the exception, not the rule. You all do not get very many classic invites. Also, the classic has not been going on long enough to see what schools can draw a crowd up there. Alabama is not the only state people migrated to Detroit from. Also, if they want Bama State, they should lock them in like others who want a particular team do. Ya'll ain't doing nothing else.

If you've been paying attention, Bama State plays in 3 classics a year. Two of the 3 are quite successful. Hopefully, JSU and Comegys will make the 3rd one a success this year. My point to you, the Hornets' program would function quite well with the 7 or 9 game mandate.

We are getting paid to go to Troy this fall. This game will probably pay more than some will make in certain classics. And yes, everyone knows that Detroit is a Bama State town and we would have been invited if the schedule permitted.

J C said:
If you've been paying attention, Bama State plays in 3 classics a year. Two of the 3 are quite successful. Hopefully, JSU and Comegys will make the 3rd one a success this year. My point to you, the Hornets' program would function quite well with the 7 or 9 game mandate.

We are getting paid to go to Troy this fall. This game will probably pay more than some will make in certain classics. And yes, everyone knows that Detroit is a Bama State town and we would have been invited if the schedule permitted.

I know but they are in your state.

All the non-conference games don't have to be classics or D1 paydays...with a more flexible schedule we could schedule regional or state home and home games. I think local attendance would rise and it would also make for a more attractive season ticket. Local interest would receive a spike with these games,

Here are a few of my random thoughts.

1) There are pro's and con's of both the 7 game and 9 game.

2) I would really hate to see JSU, Gram, Alcorn, SU to not play each other each year.

3) Given the value "tradition, attendance, money" of these games, it doesn't make sense to implement a plan the elimates this games just to make things look good or for something that does not produce a signicant advantage.

4) Some people live a fantasy, thinking one day SWAC football is going to be something it is not, and want decisions based on that. The Number 1 reason SWAC football will be were it is and not going to elevate to the level some of you aspire is not the 7 or 9 game mandate, it is not playing or beating some PWC. It is because we don't (and won't) financially support our athetic programs at the level it takes to do it. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

5) D1AA is what it is. D1AA will only get a certain amount of respect. Period. We are not D1A and will never get that kind of respect. GIVE UP THE FANTASY. Hell, the D1AA champion doesn't get much respect from most of the world.

6) Is making rules chasing these dreams worth the finanical loss it may take? (See #4).

7) Money doesn't grow on trees. Some of you are alway saying "find other sources of income". It just ain't that easy to get black folks to part with thier money unless it is a game they want to see or you selling them a rib plate or something. But why find another one if you already got a good one. (Like SU-ALCORN and SU- Jackson St.)

8) There are about 3-4 schools in the SWAC that at the end of the day ain't damn thing you can really do for them, they just ain't got it.

9) We wouldn't have this problem if we would not have let Pine Bluff and AAMU in. Was it worth it?????? We still could have played them when we wanted to.

10) I LOVE HBCU FOOTBALL. If I want to see some PWC play, I know where to go. BUT GIVE ME SU-JSU, SU-ALCORN, GRAMBLING-ALCORN, Etc. any day of the week and twice on Sat.

Just some thoughts.

While I agree that the 9-game mandate doesn't deliver the 'economic parity' people thought it would, instead of totally scrapping it, maybe it just needs some tweaking.

I'd like to see some creativity and flexibility in scheduling. I'd like to see more regional match-ups that can be packaged in such a way, as to increase attendance...

Image this: Alcorn hosts PV, Jackson St hosts UAPB and Valley hosts Alabama St.... All on the same weekend. Now, imagine if Valley and Alcorn moved their games to Jackson. You'd have three SWAC games played at one location in one weekend. You'd have two games on Saturday and one on Sunday. Some of you may remember this happened one or twice back in the early 80s. The point I'm making is this, by packaging these games, creates a 'natural' draw for that weekend. And the schools could benefit by having other activities surrounding the games. And if a ticket package could be arranged, I think more people would be willing to attend the games they normally wouldn't be interested in seeing....

So I think there needs to be some creative scheduling, matching teams in places where we can maximize our product.

Imagine: PV hosts Southern, while TxSou hosts Grambling. If both games are packaged together and played in Houston (Atsordome or Reliant), then that's a 'draw'.

Or AAMU hosting Alcorn, and Alabama State hosting Grambling. If the games were played in B'ham at Legion Field (as a double-header), everyody makes more money (than by playing at home)....

Or Grambling hosting AAMU and UAPB hosting TexSou. Play a doubleheader in Shreveport and sit back and count the money....

That's what I think needs to be looked at... Let's be creative with our scheduling.

Just my 237 dribs and 40 drabs....

Jafus (Thinker) said:
Research!!

While research is an indicator, it is not absolute. Everything is relative. Mighty Dog mentioned previously that most 1-A football programs operate in the red. My point is this. While that looks bad, what's the difference in JSU earning 2 million dollars a year and having to spend 2.1 million on football vs. Middle TNState earning 5 million and having to spend 5.1 million. The only way to increase your revenue is to increase your revenue. In other words, in some cases, to make money, you have to spend money. :lecture: JSU may never earn 5 Million a year from football but if someone is stopping us from making 2.1 million or 3 million, I don't like it.

As Lewis said, the difference is MONEY.

I have one question.

The coaches and ADs don't like the mandate. Why didn't the President follow through with the belief of their coaches and ADs?

Bottom line is keeping the Status Quo is going to PENALIZE 3 schools.

It may help the others, but we, (JSU), ain't getting squat out this 9 game mandate except strangled.....................schedule wise.............and POTENTIAL MONEY WISE.

Schools in this conference that has the potential to draw in the TOP dollars will never realize everything they can accomplish because of this.

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
I have one question.

The coaches and ADs don't like the mandate. Why didn't the President follow through with the belief of their coaches and ADs?

Because of the problems that they 7 game format had. Why is that so hard to understand. If you moved out of one house into another one because you were unhappy, why would you move back into that same old house without considering the things that made you unhappy there the first time. People are downplaying the bickering that was going on during the 7 game format. Also, I don't know how many new coaches, presidents, and AD's we have had since this was voted on back in 2003 but intitiated in 2002. Obviously, the AD's need to be asked what the 7 game format means to them and how they want to handle it (flexible or not).

Tigerpride said:
Because of the problems that they 7 game format had. Why is that so hard to understand. If you moved out of one house into another one because you were unhappy, why would you move back into that same old house without considering the things that made you unhappy there the first time. People are downplaying the bickering that was going on during the 7 game format. Also, I don't know how many new coaches, presidents, and AD's we have had since this was voted on back in 2003 but intitiated in 2002. Obviously, the AD's need to be asked what the 7 game format means to them and how they want to handle it (flexible or not).

Tigerpride that's why I asked the question of what the policies were...but folks just ignored me.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Tigerpride,

I agree. I was just commenting on the SWAC presidents' plan regarding the 7-game mandate. Several issues are on the table regarding, what "football fans want" and what "school alums want".

As CEEDOG stated,

The funny thing about this is that JAFUS has been telling you guys for over 2 years that all our Presidents support the 9 game. You folks just don't get reality. HBCU presidents are special.

I have said from day one, how the SWAC athletic directors voted and in particular the position of Prairie View's athletic directors and in tern how the SWAC presidents voted on the original mandate and why.

staggalee83 said:
Bottom line is keeping the Status Quo is going to PENALIZE 3 schools.

It may help the others, but we, (JSU), ain't getting squat out this 9 game mandate except strangled.....................schedule wise.............and POTENTIAL MONEY WISE.

Schools in this conference that has the potential to draw in the TOP dollars will never realize everything they can accomplish because of this.
The diffference is not nearly as great as you're making it it out to be.

And I hope you aint fooled yourself into believing that every team in the country is falling all over themselves to get yall on their schedule.

mighty hornet said:
And I hope you aint fooled yourself into believing that every team in the country is falling all over themselves to get yall on their schedule.

Delusions of grandeur.

mighty hornet said:
The diffference is not nearly as great as you're making it it out to be.

MH, I don't think that is what folks are saying. But it isn't any secret that some of our HBCUs do have better drawing power than others and are more inviting to other schools to have on their schedule. No different than the PWCs. I felt like SU was better exposed in terms of who we played before the 9 game mandate. You can not convince me that with 4 open dates to schedule that we can't find some attractive/revenue making games for our fans. The only thing that has been an issue is trying to get extra home games which then causes some scheduling issues. So that is always a sticking point. But a good AD can do home and home contracts with worthy opponents if given some flexibility. I would love to play at least 2 MEAC schools every year and then play maybe one D1 program and 1 ranked or good 1-AA program. Or even 1 outstanding D-2 school at home. Like a Tuskegee or somebody.

SU, Gram, and JSU do carry more weight than folks want to admit. I know it is a sore spot on this board. No different than UGA, Florida, LSU, Bama, and Auburn carry the SEC in name recognition. You can't tell me that schools like USC, Texas, etc wouldn't rather schedule one of those schools instead of Vandy or Ole Miss. The difference is those flagship SEC schools don't have to help sell out the other SEC schools stadiums and in Vandy's case...they got plenty of money even though they are not a SEC power. Just like Texas and Ohio State playing each other. I am sure UT rather have a Big Ten name school like OSU on their schedule than say an Indiana. Just for the competition and excitement it generates. Obviously they would sellout no matter who they play. But at our HBCUs we don't have that kind of luxury.So we need to explore every avenue to make money. Our fans like the big matchups or interesting matchups to turn out at the gates, unfortunately.

SU fans would rather see us play Hampton or FAMU on a regular than to see us play Valley every year. So if the 7 game mandate can help us get FAMU on the schedule I am all for it. We need the date flexibility. With 9 games it makes it hard. Because the 2 weekends we don't have SWAC game may not match up with somebody's else schedule, then you end up with an Allen or Lincoln on your schedule which to me sucks. But if you got 4 extra Saturdays to play with then it is easier. Still a challenge but not as much.

AAMU Alum said:
Delusions of grandeur.

The proof is in the pudding. You could go to the MEAC board RIGHT NOW and ask what team they would want on their schedule and NONE of them would say AAMU (as evidenced by your schedule since being 1-AA). Alabama State has played out of state but for the most part, aside from the Detroit Classic, they were taken there by Jackson State. Actually, a few years ago, when the Detroit Classic was first considered, JSU and Alabama State were going to be the two permanent teams. But that was even before JSU started bringing ASU back to Jackson.

This also has a band aspect. No one wants to see your team or your band. You can't say that about the Sonic BOOM!!

JR said:
SU fans would rather see us play Hampton or FAMU on a regular than to see us play Valley every year.
I hope you realize that cuts both ways. Hell, I could say that our fans would rather see us play FAMU than some other schools in the conference too. Just like any body from any school in the SWAC can get on here and name other non conference schools that would be an attractive matchup to their fans too.
But this is the SWAC. And there are 9 other schools. And as part of the SWAC, we play those other schools. I don't fool myself into the fantasy world of thinking we can pick and choose nothing but the games that are atttractive to us.
Heck, short of being an independent, no school gets to do that.

So, that song and dance for the so-called Big 3 (and sometimes Alcorn, according to TP) doesn't wash. Yall aint special.
If yall indeed were, then when any slots are available on your schedule (be it 2 or 4), schools would be knocking down your doors.
And looking at the ones who have (NAIA Paul Quinn for JSU, unheard of North Dakota State (or was it South Dakota) for SU, and Concordia, a club team for Gram) shole doesnt indicate that Notre Dame needs to be worried about you so-called Big 3 any time soon.

Tigerpride said:
The proof is in the pudding. You could go to the MEAC board RIGHT NOW and ask what team they would want on their schedule and NONE of them would say AAMU (as evidenced by your schedule since being 1-AA). Alabama State has played out of state but for the most part, aside from the Detroit Classic, they were taken there by Jackson State. Actually, a few years ago, when the Detroit Classic was first considered, JSU and Alabama State were going to be the two permanent teams. But that was even before JSU started bringing ASU back to Jackson.

This also has a band aspect. No one wants to see your team or your band. You can't say that about the Sonic BOOM!!

I guess you think if you post that kind of garbage long enough, it will make it fact.

Like MH said, I don't see anybody beating your door down to play you, and after your most recent ventures into MEAC territory, you sure as hell needn't be beating theirs down to play them...(as evidenced by the @ss beatin's you've been taking from them.) Then again, that might be the VERY REASON they want to play you.

mighty hornet said:
I hope you realize that cuts both ways. Hell, I could say that our fans would rather see us play FAMU than some other schools in the conference too. Just like any body from any school in the SWAC can get on here and name other non conference schools that would be an attractive matchup to their fans too.
But this is the SWAC. And there are 9 other schools. And as part of the SWAC, we play those other schools. I don't fool myself into the fantasy world of thinking we can pick and choose nothing but the games that are atttractive to us.
Heck, short of being an independent, no school gets to do that.

So, that song and dance for the so-called Big 3 (and sometimes Alcorn, according to TP) doesn't wash. Yall aint special.
If yall indeed were, then when any slots are available on your schedule (be it 2 or 4), schools would be knocking down your doors.
And looking at the ones who have (NAIA Paul Quinn for JSU, unheard of North Dakota State (or was it South Dakota) for SU, and Concordia, a club team for Gram) shole doesnt indicate that Notre Dame needs to be worried about you so-called Big 3 any time soon.

You can tell these folks that a million times mh, and they still won't get it.

:smh:

AAMU Alum said:
Like MH said, I don't see anybody beating your door down to play you, and after your most recent ventures into MEAC territory, you sure as hell needn't be beating theirs down to play them.
:lol::lol:

It's funny how TP holds up scheduling MEAC teams as some kind of measuring stick, but yet JSU has gotten passed around by so many of those teams.

mighty hornet said:

It's funny how TP holds up scheduling MEAC teams as some kind of measuring stick, but yet JSU has gotten passed around by so many of those teams.

Just like the town *hore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back