SWAC BB Tourney in Biloxi, MS?

AAMU Alum said:
You would think they'd realize that after predicting a sellout of that BC in Houston this past November.
That actually proves what we are saying. No matter how good the product is, if the location is not right,H-Town, the event will suffer. Oh yea AAMU Alum time to take that pic out of your sig.

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
Why not try something else?

Something else have been tried. This tourney has been in other locations...the problem is SWAC fan support.

Another question is what else do fans want? During tourney week (Wed-Sat)
1) You go to breakfast.
2) The first few games are from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
3) You may take a break from some games and go to lunch/dinner/the mall/relax & watch TV/or whatever.
4) There are some clubs, bars, resturaunts to go to after 10 p.m. (I get tired after 12 hours of basketball and go to bed to get ready for the next day's games)
5) This year's tourney even had Ruben's band playing in one of the suites in the civic center where they served food and drink.

What else do fans want?

e_bulldog said:
Something else have been tried. This tourney has been in other locations...the problem is SWAC fan support.

Another question is what else do fans want? During tourney week (Wed-Sat)
1) You go to breakfast.
2) The first few games are from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
3) You may take a break from some games and go to lunch/dinner/the mall/relax & watch TV/or whatever.
4) There are some clubs, bars, resturaunts to go to after 10 p.m. (I get tired after 12 hours of basketball and go to bed to get ready for the next day's games)
5) This year's tourney even had Ruben's band playing in one of the suites in the civic center where they served food and drink.

What else do fans want?

We want a better location that will suit our fans!

its good to have a live band and all that, but the attendance and support is way more important!

The tournament should be moved to Mississippi are Louisiana!

Su'sdrummerboi said:
We want a better location that will suit our fans!

its good to have a live band and all that, but the attendance and support is way more important!

The tournament should be moved to Mississippi are Louisiana!

The tourney has been in Mississippi and Louisiana. We had attendence and support problems. Why will location make a difference? You continue to make comments that don't jive. If you like and/or Support SWAC basketball you will come to the basketball games. As I have stated before other schools have followed their teams to Birmingham (and wherever else) for tourney's. The SWAC fans are the problem not the location.

If I am not mistaken...Birmingham had the largest SWAC tourney crowd ever last year. The tourney results for this year (2006)will be known after the finals tomorrow.

e_bulldog said:
The tourney has been in Mississippi and Louisiana. We had attendence and support problems. Why will location make a difference? You continue to make comments that don't jive. If you like and/or Support SWAC basketball you will come to the basketball games. As I have stated before other schools have followed their teams to Birmingham (and wherever else) for tourney's. The SWAC fans are the problem not the location.

If I am not mistaken...Birmingham had the largest SWAC tourney crowd ever last year. The tourney results for this year (2006)will be known after the finals tomorrow.

Birmingham did'nt have the largest crowd last year!

If the tournament be in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, or Jackson, the crowd will be doubled, i promise you that!

And the reason why the tournament had a good crowd last year because it was two Bama schools! Plain AND simple!

Su'sdrummerboi said:
Birmingham did'nt have the largest crowd last year!

If the tournament be in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, or Jackson, the crowd will be doubled, i promise you that!

And the reason why the tournament had a good crowd last year because it was two Bama schools! Plain AND simple!

What do you base your promise? What were the numbers when the SWAC tourney was in Biloxi, Baton Rouge, Jackson in the past?
Just answer those 2 questions.

e_bulldog said:
What do you base your promise? What were the numbers when the SWAC tourney was in Biloxi, Baton Rouge, Jackson in the past?
Just answer those 2 questions.

I base the promise that if the tournament was in those CITIES THE TURN OUT WOULD BE BETTER.

I dont have the exact numbers but i Know d@mn well they had more people in Bilioxi!
and once again the only reason why the tournament did good last year is because the Bama schools were in attendance, but i see y u the ONLY one supporting the tournament there bcuz u live in Birmingham

I don't know if someone has already has posted this or not;but maybe the SWAC should just rotate the championship sites every year like the other big conferences do. On the otherhand I can see where that could be a problem as well being that it could very well interfere with local state championships also.

pbla said:
I don't know if someone has already has posted this or not;but maybe the SWAC should just rotate the championship sites every year like the other big conferences do. On the otherhand I can see where that could be a problem as well being that it could very well interfere with local state championships also.

I'll have to agree

The only schools the tournament benefiting is the Bamas

Ladies and gentleman, the truth has been stated many times. SUPPORT YOUR INSTITUTION IN THE TOURNAMENT!!!! Yall on here typing but yet u aint in B'Ham. If u wanted to support u would go. Another thing is fans like events going on during a tournament. For instance, the MEAC this year had the Tom Joiner Morning Show there all week. The tournament has to be promoted and advertised well for fans to show. Bham aint this and Bham aint that is a bunch of bullisht. Dont get me wrong I am all for rotating sites, I like to travel, but Bham is not the problem.

JEd said:
Ladies and gentleman, the truth has been stated many times. SUPPORT YOUR INSTITUTION IN THE TOURNAMENT!!!! Yall on here typing but yet u aint in B'Ham. If u wanted to support u would go. Another thing is fans like events going on during a tournament. For instance, the MEAC this year had the Tom Joiner Morning Show there all week. The tournament has to be promoted and advertised well for fans to show. Bham aint this and Bham aint that is a bunch of bullisht. Dont get me wrong I am all for rotating sites, I like to travel, but Bham is not the problem.
Its not all of the problem but its part of the problem. We need a centrel location. More people will come from member institution ,even if their team is in the game or not, if the drive wasn't so bad.

JEd said:

I think the Tom Joyner Show will be at the SWAC tournament next year.

On another note,I know for one thing though, I betcha if the SWAC tournament were held in Pine Bluff at the Convention Center arena,I know the numbers would be higher than they were in B'ham.

We should just rotate the tournament around our campuses and stop letting cities leech off of us. B'Ham ain't making us pay for nothing and they ain't getting much off the attendance anyway. Let's showcase our buildings, MARKET our game better on ALL ten campuses and we would be able to put a CIAA. Their tourney is so good for a myriad of reasons, but the biggets one may be that what other BIG sport do they have ..... Football ain't the big thing there like it is in the SWAC.

We have to be realistic, but we also have to realize that if something hasn't worked for four, five, or six years, CHANGE it. And I'm not just talking about location. There is no reason why this conference should be miring in B'Ham with all of our major championships and still have the same ol' pre-game stuff and expect anythign different than what we have had.

People, for whatever reason, have said they do not want to come to B'Ham. As a conference, after trying it seven times in football and four or five in basketball, and once in baseball, what are they hoping will happen? If they would put something around the games, they might work anywhere, including B'Ham.

Oh yeah, MH, you mean to tell me that SU and JSU could only bring 15 to 20 K each, but you want us to believe that out of the 28K remaining from SCG3, ALL of them were Bama State fans? I know I'm not and I was there. The same 7,000 you say was from neutral schools and bands could have been there for SCG3 too in the form of neutral fans.

SU Jag 79 said:
Oh yeah, MH, you mean to tell me that SU and JSU could only bring 15 to 20 K each, but you want us to believe that out of the 28K remaining from SCG3, ALL of them were Bama State fans? I know I'm not and I was there. The same 7,000 you say was from neutral schools and bands could have been there for SCG3 too in the form of neutral fans.
sorry Jag 79,
I was at both. ASU brought more. Don't know why yall would even attempt to debate it.

also, as for SCG 3,
It was no longer a new event. All the bands were not there. So, the "neutral" fans that were drawn to SCG 1 because of those things, were not there. By then the game had largely evolved into "just" a game between the two teams involved. (same way it is now, let's not try to kid ourselves into thinking that the first one was like that)

Like I say, the tournament need to be moved out of BIRMINGHAM!!!!

If the tournament was in Jackson it would benefit, Southern, Jackson State, Alcorn, Valley, Grambling, Pine Bluff, A&M, and Alabama State.

Thats more of a central location, and i know for a fact that more people would show! Birmingham is just to far, and out the way for many poeple.Some peeps has school, work, and much more obligations but if the tournament was moved to Jackson it would benefit everyone better!

Su'sdrummerboi said:
Like I say, the tournament need to be moved out of BIRMINGHAM!!!!

If the tournament was in Jackson it would benefit, Southern, Jackson State, Alcorn, Valley, Grambling, Pine Bluff, A&M, and Alabama State.

Thats more of a central location, and i know for a fact that more people would show! Birmingham is just to far, and out the way for many poeple.Some peeps has school, work, and much more obligations but if the tournament was moved to Jackson it would benefit everyone better!

The blame belongs on the fans, not the location. it's not like we're playing in New York.

We always want to depend on locals to support us when we can't or won't support ourselves.

BIGCAT3000 said:
The blame belongs on the fans, not the location. it's not like we're playing in New York.

We always want to depend on locals to support us when we can't or won't support ourselves.

:tup:

I'd like to know from those of you that want to move the tourney, what would consider to be a great tourney? What kind of numbers? Keep in mind that the best attended swac game drew 7500 people and that was a rivalry game.

No, you cannot blame B'ham only, and you cannot blame SWAC fans only. The real problem is a combination of the two. SWAC fans, including myself, need to do a better job of showing up to support the conferecne, regardless of what teams are playing. But the host city and surrounding communities also has a responsibility to support the event because it is their city who is reaping the benefit of the publicity and tax dollars being spent.

If the city of Birmingham, a mostly black city with a metro population of more than 900,000, was interested in the tourney, at least 5,000 local residents should have been in attendance. When you add in the SWAC fans who should have traveled to the city, more than 10,000 seats are filled and the attendance problem is solved. But we do not enjoy the luxury of sch a scenario. One reason is that SWAC fans are not doing their part, at least those within easy driving distance of the tourney site. Another reason is that the city of B'Ham and surrounding communities are not doing their part either. How do you have a Division 1 tourney in your city, and fewer than 3,000 of your local residents come out to support? That's unacceptable! In fact, it's a downright shame!

The SWAC central office is sure to take a long hard look at the situation in the off season. And I believe they will come to the right conclusion.

Back