SWAC BB Tourney in Biloxi, MS?

JROCK said:
I would like to see a revolving tournament with a host school. The host school order would be determined by a drawing. The host school would select the arena. AAMU would defer to the 10th host since the tourney was in B'ham this year. Arena must seat a minimum of 7000 attendance.

Examples:

2007 S.U. F.G. Clark Activity Center
2008 JSU...Walter Payton Complex
2009 Alcorn...a 7000+ arena in Jackson
2010 PV....a 7000+ arena in Houston
2011 Gram.....Hobdy Dome (are what every they will name the new arena)
2012 Bama St. Acadome
ect........

This way the different communities and student bodies would have better access to the games in specific years.
The "different communities and student bodies" have access to 9 SWAC games a year and as a conference, we're averaging less than 2K.

but yet, we (actually yall) want to paint Bham as the problem.

sorry, but the problems start at home. (Montgomery, Baton Rouge, Huntsville, Jackson and the 6 other homes)

StateTrooper2K1 said:
I know the tourney was in Biloxi, MS for the 2000-2001 season and, if I remember correctly, the attendance was not bad at all and it was a lot closer to the majority of campuses. Why was it moved to Birmingham?

Please don't say because of the SWAC HQ's....:angry:

It's all about incentives my man. Biloxi didn't provide what B'ham had to offer.

mighty hornet said:
The "different communities and student bodies" have access to 9 SWAC games a year and as a conference, we're averaging less than 2K.

sorry, but the problems start at home. (Montgomery, Baton Rouge, Huntsville, Jackson and the 6 other homes)

Something new needs to be attempted to generate interest and revenue. No one is blaming member schools or B'ham (stop looking at it from a narrow defensive vanish point). This is an exciting time of the season. We need to find a way to parlay that into attendance numbers. The current post season formula is not working from an attendance persepctive.

mighty hornet said:

Birmingham is a major problem. There is no SWAC school there. The headquarters shouldn't even be there. It is not in a central location. And Alabama A&M and Alabama State fans don't support anything held there. The game with highest attendance so far was between Southern and Alcorn and that game had less than 1,000 fans. The same could be said for football. The football championship game attendance isn't great in Birmingham even when Alabama A&M or Alabama State is in the game.

Mr. Tiger said:
Birmingham is a major problem. There is no SWAC school there. The headquarters shouldn't even be there. It is not in a central location. And Alabama A&M and Alabama State fans don't support anything held there. T
ummm, MCC over 60K every year, so you don't have a leg to stand on there.

. The football championship game attendance isn't great in Birmingham even when Alabama A&M or Alabama State is in the game.
wrong again. Alabama State has brought more fans to the SCG than any school that has participated.

JROCK,
AT least you do see that Bham aint the problem here.

It amazes me that, we as a conference, average less than 2K (with NO school averaging over 3K), but we turn around and magically expect the attendance at the tournament to be 10K or so.

Aside from Bham not attending - apparantly those of you posting here on the board are not attending either, unless you are posting from your hotel room here in Bham.

mighty hornet said:
wrong again. Alabama State has brought more fans to the SCG than any school that has participated.

No, you are dead wrong. The first SCG was the highest attended with 47,621 and that game featured Southern and Jackson State. And the last two years with Alabama State and Alabama A&M in the SCG representing the East, the game has barely made it pass 20,000. Those are the facts.

And when I say Alabama State and Alabama A&M don't support anything in Birmingham, I'm talking about any SWAC tournament or championship. Of course, the Magic City Classic is a big draw between the two schools but that's no argument for keeping the SWAC basketball tournament or football championship in the city. I have no problem with Birmingham or the state of Alabama, but Birmingham isn't the best place for major SWAC events unless its between Alabama State and Alabama A&M.

Mr. Tiger said:
No, you are dead wrong. The first SCG was the highest attended with 47,621 and that game featured Southern and Jackson State. And the last two years with Alabama State and Alabama A&M in the SCG representing the East, the game has barely made it pass 20,000. Those are the facts.
no, my friend you are wrong.
I was at the first SCG. So were many other neutral folks, so were other SWAC bands.
Attendance was 47K. Let's just say that each of the two schools (SU and JSU) brought in the 15-20K range.

SCG 3, ASU vs Gram
Attendance 38K, with no band battle

(for the sake of being nice, let's just say that Gram brought 10K :rolleyes: :snicker: )
do the rest of the math, my friend

mighty hornet said:

agreed. the "classic mentality" kills all of our schools in attendance. we only show for classics and rivalry games. it won't matter where the swac tourney is held the attendance is not going to improve dramatically. the students, don't care enough, the alumni don't care enough and the communities surrounding our university don't care enough. and it should be obvious that the administrations don't have a clue how to fix it.

i still say regular season champ should host. as for fans not being able to make travel plans, I say........what fans? those 80 people that remained at the end of the alcorn/southern game?

who should host men or womens champ? mens champ every year. the men get the bulk of exposure, theirs is the engine that drives the basketball train.

majiksity said:
Aside from Bham not attending - apparantly those of you posting here on the board are not attending either, unless you are posting from your hotel room here in Bham.
I am. That arena is nice we just have to get more people in the stands. We will see what Vowels have to say about this at the end of the tourney.

mighty hornet said:
no, my friend you are wrong.
I was at the first SCG. So were many other neutral folks, so were other SWAC bands.
Attendance was 47K. Let's just say that each of the two schools (SU and JSU) brought in the 15-20K range.

I have heard this said before and since you were there and I was not (had to work) :shame: I will take your word on it.

I agree with major095 that SWAC fans only show up for classics and rivalry games. The basketball tournament should be marketed like a football classic.

Mr. Tiger said:
I have heard this said before and since you were there and I was not (had to work) :shame: I will take your word on it.

I agree with major095 that SWAC fans only show up for classics and rivalry games. The basketball tournament should be marketed like a football classic.
I was there. SU and JSU brought the majority(90%) of the fans at that game . He is a flat out lie.

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
I was there. SU and JSU brought the majority(90%) of the fans at that game . He is a flat out lie.
ummm hol up,
(don't call me a lie, kid, as if you have the absolute truths on a subjective matter)

I said SU and JSU brought between 15-20K, that would amount to up to 40 of the 47K. Is that not a majority? :retard:

SGG 3,
even giving Gram 10K , that would still leave 28K.

I actually like the Southland's model with the higher-seed hosting the gamess..

like on the men's side. Southern would play at F.G. Clark (sort've like home-field throughout) throughout the conference tournament...

The No. 2 seed coul've had two home games..and the No. 3 and 4 seeds were guaranteed one home game

That way you don't necessarily have to worry about expenses for facilities and all that, and give yourself a better shot at getting a better crowd.

I also agree that B-ham is not the best place for SWAC title events, however, that city isn't all too bad.

Also, if the SWAC wanted to go to an on-campus/member city sites...Well Baton Rouge and Jackson would be best because they're large enough and centrally located. Houston would be decent also, a little far, but decent.

Just hold the tourney at Southern, Jackson State or texas Southern. I'm surprised the SWAC didn't move the baseball tourney onto campuses after it was at Southern.

Think about it, just look at the SEC, they don't have a "set" city for their tourney. They have been in Atlanta and this year they are in Nashville. You have to MARKET your conference better. If the people won't come to the game, u gotta bring the game to the people. BE CREATIVE!!!!!

SUjagTILLiDIE said:

I was there also and what you are saying is true. I have been to 3 SCG(s) and none of them come to close to SCG I. That same year we had 63,000 in Jackson two months prior to the SCG. ( I was there too ). I hate when people just blatantly lie. This stuff about the bands made the game is bullcrap.......

so, EVEN if folks were to believe that there were NO neutral folks there, NO folks drawn by the bands, the attendance was 47K.
Split among the two teams that would be 23.5 each.

Again, I've posted what the attendance (38K) was for SCG 3

so, where is the lie?

The truth is just the truth. Why would yall even attempt to debate it (on the sports board) is beyond me.

WalkWitaPanther said:
I guess we can all agree that B-ham sucks as a tournament site. There are probably a couple of places more central located that would do better. But there are a lot of mid-major conferences that hold their tournaments on campus (usually the top seed).

Ain't buying any of that...Here are some reasons:

1) You could purchase an airline ticket (check Southwest) at a very reasonable rate with pre-planning. The dates of the SWAC tournament are announced before basketball season begins.

2) This is a mobile society today. We don't travel horse and buggy. You may fly (less than 2 hours), charter a bus, or ride in your luxury automobile.

3) Birmingham has plenty of hotel space.

4) Birmingham Civic Center is a nice facility.

5) Committed students may carpool.

6) B'ham has hosted regional NCAA tournaments (Teams and fans traveled here from the north, south, east and far west). SWAC fans complain about a 4 hour drive. The Civic center, hotels, restaurants were filled to capacity when B'ham hosted regional tournaments. I have seen all of the aforementioned happen during these tournaments.

###################################

Sure, other cities have equivalent or better facilities?The SWAC have tried other cities?

The real problem is SWAC fans are not committed for whatever reason to SWAC basketball.

Tigerpride said:
I just don't want to come to Bham. It could be free and I would not be excited about going.

Honesty...

... and I just don't want to come to Jackson, Mississippi...or Biloxi... or Houston...or Louisiana

...let's just end basketball season at the end of the regular season...or let us all support SWAC basketball where ever the tourney is held.

I'm not against trying something new. Just have realistic expectations.

Don't think that just by moving the tournament, the crowds will magically appear.

mighty hornet said:
I'm not against trying something new. Just have realistic expectations.

Don't think that just by moving the tournament, the crowds will magically appear.

You would think they'd realize that after predicting a sellout of that BC in Houston this past November.

Back