SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY 2005 FOOTBALL SIGNEES

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
evidently you must have not seen him play. This is a huge loss. He is a difference maker. I really doubt he has a future a wr because his hands are not the greatest. During his freshman and sophmore seasons at Northeast High he played wr. He would leave the db by 5 or 10 yards(no exaggeration) and drop the football. During his junior they switched him to rb and boom he was an instant star.

Well I don't know how he is such a loss when he is "gray shirting" as LSU calls it and will not hit the field till 06. And that is a maybe. Also who was he going to sit down at SU? Huff, Steel,Herbert(who ran great in the SCG), Rose, Larry Nicholls. I know we had the kid that was short last year signed and I don't know if he is eligible yet. But we did get the short scatback from MS. Then Pete is working on the Moore kid from NC. I think we will be fine. Holliday may be a player but SU aint hurt cause he went to LSU. I could understand if we had absolutely no rbs and this kid was academically eligible right away to play. I wish him the best. Who knows who else may walk on at SU. Look at how it worked out for Holmes and now Huff.

GSUperTiger said:
Man, you can not compare anything around Florida Ave and Poland as apples to apples.

Hey Supe, Carver is Louisa, and Higgins Blvd dogg. Florida, and Poland is a little further up the way, but a good part of the Carver kids are from that area.

What's up 9th ward Pepper Boy?

NICE

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
JR said:
Well I don't know how he is such a loss when he is "gray shirting" as LSU calls it and will not hit the field till 06. And that is a maybe. Also who was he going to sit down at SU? Huff, Steel,Herbert(who ran great in the SCG), Rose, Larry Nicholls. I know we had the kid that was short last year signed and I don't know if he is eligible yet. But we did get the short scatback from MS. Then Pete is working on the Moore kid from NC. I think we will be fine. Holliday may be a player but SU aint hurt cause he went to LSU. I could understand if we had absolutely no rbs and this kid was academically eligible right away to play. I wish him the best. Who knows who else may walk on at SU. Look at how it worked out for Holmes and now Huff.
The scat back from MS is no Trindan Holliday. I saw film on him at the recruiting bash. The kid from MS is also not qualified. Holliday from what I was told was No.1 on our board. If you saw this kid play you would know what im talking about. He ran a 4.2 40.Ask anyone who saw him play over the last couple of years. They would take him out of the game at half time the whole season because they would be winning like 40 - 0. The kid would have like 6 carries for 200 yards. Look up his stats on 2theavocate.com. Trust me this is a huge loss.

JR said:
Who knows who else may walk on at SU. Look at how it worked out for Holmes and now Huff.

This is such a true statement. We have a PROGRAM that many know about and want to play for but are not fortunate enough to get scholarship. Persistency pays off and many that possess this quality in the final analysis end up getting rewarded. Sometimes when a kid is hungry his work ethics and character will surpass those that were initially awarded. Conversely, sometimes students that get the scholarships, do not remain humble, become lackadaisical and have everything snatched away. We can surely identify some former student athletes that fall into this category.

D-NICE said:
Hey Supe, Carver is Louisa, and Higgins Blvd dogg. Florida, and Poland is a little further up the way, but a good part of the Carver kids are from that area.

What's up 9th ward Pepper Boy?

NICE

I misread that one........thought he was talking about another Poland in Montgomery. :lol:

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
I was just think what he would do to our opponents defense's. :dizzy: :dizzy:
I guess we will be ok.

Don't get us wrong. I would love to have that kind of speed in SU's backfield. But this kid still has to prove himself on the field. Hell Moffet ran 4.3's and some 4.2's but it didn't translate to him being a great corner. That kid is small so all it takes is one good hit when he doesn't break away and he is toast. College ball is much different than HS. But again I do understand where you are coming from. Having a rb that is homerun threat is nice. I think we will have a good mix of speed and power in our running game next season. Who knows if Holliday feels shafted at LSU he maybe calling Pete next year.

Tigerpride said:
Calculus and Trig are core classes? I don't think so....maybe Algebra I and II and Geometry.

I was using those as examples. The fact remains that these kids either don't have the core classes they should OR cant get the qualifying scores on the ACT (17) or the SAT (830??) to get through the NCAA clearing house.

SU, you picked a good recruit in Larry Warner.
Warren Central representing. The last player I remember from WC at SU was Randy Peaches.

JR said:
Hey JSU99, what do you know about the Stamps kid from Warren Central we recruited? Is he related to former JSU and Atlanta Falcons rb Sylvester "Zip Code" Stamps who's also from Vicksburg.

I see Southern is stealing kids from Vicksburg. Otis Stamps is kind of short for his position. But he will be a great asset to SU defense. He get interceptions like crazy. Larry Warner. He might be very short, but if you let him turn that corner on you, thats a TD.

tierre said:
I see Southern is stealing kids from Vicksburg. Otis Stamps is kind of short for his position. But he will be a great asset to SU defense. He get interceptions like crazy. Larry Warner. He might be very short, but if you let him turn that corner on you, thats a TD.

This post is music to mine ears. :swink:

<font size=5><marquee>GEAUX JAGS!!!</marquee></font>

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
JR said:
Dang, between SU and Gram did we leave anybody in Texas? Good job in the Bama. I don't ever remember us getting that many at one time from there.

Look likes we got a whole lot of academic qualifiers which is great.

The Qb from Hahnville is a real steal.

So SU got folks from Cali to Ohio to Texas to La to Miss to Alabama. :bowdown:
With the diversity of locations, I am thinking that SU went after exactly what they wanted whereever it was. With Gram, I am concerned that they recruited "an area" or state. Maybe they got a lot of cream and then settled w\for what else was there. The mere diversity in Su's recruitment seems a good thing....darn it!
Gram, PB stayed home.

UAPB-LIONS-AM&N said:
With the diversity of locations, I am thinking that SU went after exactly what they wanted whereever it was. With Gram, I am concerned that they recruited "an area" or state. Maybe they got a lot of cream and then settled w\for what else was there. The mere diversity in Su's recruitment seems a good thing....darn it!
Gram, PB stayed home.

Good observation. We haven't had a diverse class like this since Steve Wofford and his OL came in from Bakersfield Ca. Pete still is trying to get the Moore kid from NC. Then it will truly be a coast to coast recruiting class.

Arkansas has quality talent. So I wouldn't worry about PB's class. It should be pretty good just looking at the list. Sometimes you have to recruit home first then branch out. SU has recruited well in the boot the last couple of years and this year allowed us to step back out there. We needed to do that.

Not trying to divert from Southern's thread, but rraaaa did you notice, Jay Arrah, that Coach Frazier and staff did likewise? I think we recruited 8 states (in addition to Tx).

Of course, w/ those Md/DC ties, we expected some from there. But, some of the others... :)

Panthro said:
Not trying to divert from Southern's thread, but rraaaa did you notice, Jay Arrah, that Coach Frazier and staff did likewise? I think we recruited 8 states (in addition to Tx).

Of course, w/ those Md/DC ties, we expected some from there. But, some of the others... :)
No SMACK INTENDED does PVU have a choice. They stand a better chance of getting quality athletes from out of state than from Texas due to recent years of futlity. I think PVU is definatly a program on the rise and will really compete in the upcoming years.

Panthro said:

Oh yeah. I noticed alright. JR will have his eye on you Panthers. lol.

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
No SMACK INTENDED does PVU have a choice. They stand a better chance of getting quality athletes from out of state than from Texas due to recent years of futlity. I think PVU is definatly a program on the rise and will really compete in the upcoming years.

You're actually on point w/ that assessment JagTilIDie. Can't refute the fact that the previous years dismal displays is a type of preconceived notion that some of these youngers may identify w/. But still, it's very enlightening to see the I-A txfers who are coming into the program and where they are coming from as well as where they originated from. We're getting there. Slowly but surely. We're getting there. :tup:

JR said:
Oh yeah. I noticed alright. JR will have his eye on you Panthers. lol.

Don't thank for a moment that we Panthers have taken our eyes off you Jags. We see what'chall doing mane. :tup: Really looking forward to the trip to BR this fall. :)

as long as Houston kids don't make the grade..your forced to go elsewhere...when we hit areas like Shreveport that means things are beginning to change.

14184_256.jpg

Defense, quarterbacks top priority for Jaguars

Southern coach Pete Richardson said his 2005 signing class has as much quality as it does quantity.
If that turns out to be the case, then the Jaguars are in good shape because, with 27 signatures and another still possible, this is already the largest class in Richardson's 13 seasons at the school.

In addition, the Jaguars have four Division I-A transfers already on campus: linebacker Travis Berry (a former Colorado signee), wide receiver Greg Lowe II (Eastern Michigan), defensive end Julian Lowe (Tulane) and defensive end Joe Sykes (West Virginia). Those players will take part in spring practice, which begins Feb. 28.
Read the story

UAPB-LIONS-AM&N said:
Gram, PB stayed home.

We simply revisited some hotbeads of ours. Birmingham, East Baton Rouge Parish, and Houston has been good for us.

ILB Brandon Arnold, 6-6, 220, Parker (Birmingham, AL) HS: Named all-city by the Birmingham Athletic Partnership this season. Arnold, who is eligible, played through his junior season for GSU LB coach Andre Robinson.

ATH/WR Aaron Brown, 6-2, 200, Northeast HS: Ranked No. 45 receiver in the nation by Rivals.com, which had Brown at 4.47 in the 40. Also a Preseason Louisiana Top 30, but he did not qualify. Brother of former All-SWAC cornerback Chris Brown.

FS Carnell Clark, 6-1, 195, Parker (Birmingham, AL) HS: Coaches list him at 4.3 in the 40. A top high jumper in Birmingham metro area, he also played forward on the school's basketball team. He's eligible.

DL Thomas Collins, 6-4, 315, Mitchell (Memphis, TN) HS: Collins, coaches say, is strong and runs well. A non-qualifier, he's expected to provide depth for a couple of years down the road.

CB Nigel Copeland, 6-0, 190, Minor (Birmingham, AL) HS: Heavily recruited but some thought he wouldn't qualify. Late in the process, he did. With a reported 4.4 speed in the 40, coaches call Copeland a steal.

WR/KR Xavier Covington, 5-7, 180, Mitchell (Memphis) HS: Coaches say he is very shifty, with great moves. A qualifier, he also competed in various track and field events, including the 3,200 and 1,600 relays, and discus.

DE Brandon George, 6-2, 240, Bossier HS: Three-year all-district and all-parish honoree, George also has starting experience at offensive guard. A member of the 2003 Academic All-State team, he nevertheless did not qualify.

LB Carl Harrell, 6-1, 225, Clinton HS: A three-year starter, and first-team All-District 8-2A member, he led team in tackles for the second straight season with 150. He's eligible.

DE DeNarius Hassell, 6-5, 245, Mitchell (Memphis, MS) HS: A veteran of school's state runner-up team in 2002, Harrell is a non-qualifier who got good notices from Rivals.com after attending Nike summer camp and MSL Combine in Memphis.

OT/DT Muhammad Karim, 6-3, 303, Lincoln (Dallas, TX) HS: Helped pave the way for a dramatic 13-1 run last season before losing on a blocked kick in overtime in state championship game. He's eligible.

DL Melvin Matthews, 6-2, 200, Clinton HS: Followed up 2003 honorable mention with first-team all-District 8-2A honors. Called Player to Watch by The (Baton Rouge) Advocate. Also eligible.

DL/OL Chris Rainey, 6-2, 365, North Caddo HS: Coaches say he shows great athleticism. A non-qualifier who might one day play either offensive line or on the nose.

LB/DE Bertel Riley, 6-3, 250, McKinley HS: A non-qualifier who could work his way into being on of the top defensive ends in the country. Oklahoma State and LSU took looks before an injury slowed him down.

LB Joseph Robinson, 6-0, 225, Minor (Birmingham, AL) HS: Coaches describe him as tough, in style of former All-SWAC defender Robert Taylor. Could fill a major need down the road. He's eligible.

FS Dominique Taylor, 6-3, 190, Shreveport Woodlawn HS: With 78 tackles, he was No. 2 on the Knights' team for stops ? though he comes to GSU as a non-qualifier. Taylor, who pulled down five interceptions last season, also plays basketball.
e kids are props but they in some cases they have "Grambling roots"...

Jags had a good recruiting campaign in Texas and the River Parishes (an area where we got a good one from Hahnville and where we need to reconnect).

Back