SI Article: HBCU Super conference

That’s what he implied.

“Do we want to sit back and adhere to tradition? Or, do want to put ourselves in a financial situation that our school prospers.”

So how much would it take for to give up tradition?

How does blazing new trails mean letting go of tradition.
Personally think our tradition is the big selling point (the teams, the bands, etc) to our core audience, along with bringing new eyes on the product.

The next step must be to grow while keeping most of our tradition intact. Does that mean putting marquee games in neutral sites?

What does it mean for our other sports?

We don’t want to become the Big East where football eventually destroyed what the league was best known for

I think we can have both, if marketed correctly.

Notre Dame, B1G powers, et al have both w/out selling out their tradition(s). Why should we?

Every time people of color caved in and WENT to dwight to compete against him in HIS arena using his rules and guidelines, we failed miserably and gave up our tradition to enrich theirs. Look at fbs powers football, M & W basketball teams, and M & W t&f teams to see those abysmal #s of < 4-7+% AA total populace comprised of 30-40+% athletes. Sickening game to play.

Last edited:
I just can't see JSU giving up traveling to SU, Grambling, Alcorn and even Valley for the Sun Belt/AAC/C-USA (plus it would take time for adjustment for the fans to get adjusted to new conference foes)

Pretty much would have to be a rotational money game schedule as far as teams going to Jackson (because you dont play two FCS schools in one season if you are FBS)

I say build on our tradition....mark my word....trying to keep up with Jone's of FBS will put our institutions in serious debt...

On a side note...the rules will change soon limiting the NIL money....and then the "HAVES" will be back to funneling money to the major programs like they use to and the playing field will be sloped their way again.....(They don't sleep!)

I just can't see JSU giving up traveling to SU, Grambling, Alcorn and even Valley for the Sun Belt/AAC/C-USA (plus it would take time for adjustment for the fans to get adjusted to new conference foes)

Pretty much would have to be a rotational money game schedule as far as teams going to Jackson (because you dont play two FCS schools in one season if you are FBS)
Not to our knowledge, I believe that there is discussion among some AD’s and other that we are not privy to. Prime was not just talking about JSU. He said prominent schools. There is a train rolling and that train is not the Love Train the O’Jays song about it is the money train. So the list you mentioned some could very well be ready to get on board.

Fool's Gold..... I may be stepping out on a limb by myself here....but "bag chasing" as I saw he called it in another article, is going cause some schools to make some bad decisions chasing fictious money. Why should HBCU's have to leave tradition? If the product is great, the market will come to them. In my opinion, the HBCU culture is why the schools and athletics have endured the test of time and prospered as long as they have...

This is just my opinion...
You are not alone. Comments well taken! Well said! All this talk about JSU to the Big 10; are they crazy? The Big 10 are made up of like institutions that are similar in size and resources, and, until very recently, shared tne same geographical footpriont. Ohio State, Illinois, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, to name a few, have enrollments that exceed fifty thousand students, football budgets approaching one-hundred million dollars, and big money donors and athletic foundations that deal in the hundredeths of millions of dollars. The Big 10 would laugh at an application for membership,from JSU. I agree with many that the SWAC should take its new-found exposure to build itself to its highest heights, whatever that looks like, with an emphasis on keeping its unique culture and tradition in tact. The time, climate, and atmosphere just might be right for the SWAC to request tne NCAA to admit into its FBS ranks its first ever HBCU conference with waival of all entry fees as a special one-time official act of the agency, and that it be allowed to readjust and finalyze its membership composition, pursuant to said one-time official act, for up to one year from date of admittance. As I said, the time, climate, and atmosphere just might be right at this present time, but could cease to exist a year or two or three from now.

Last edited:

Can’t speak for all jsu fans but I’m going wherever the team go. If that’s arkansas state or southern university. I’m supporting jsu. The city that jsu playing in doesn’t have to have a 1000 clubs nor do we have to play an hbcu for me to support. Goooo tigers.

You are not alone. Comments well taken! Well said! All this talk about JSU to the Big 10, are they crazy? The Big 10 are made up of like institutions that are similar in size and resources, and, until very recently, shared tne same geographical footpriont. Ohio State, Illinois, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, to name a few, have enrollments that exceed fifty thousand students, football budgets approaching one-hundred million dollars, and big money donors and athletic foundations that deal in the hundredeths of millions of dollars. The Big 10 would laugh at an application for membership,from JSU. I agree with many that the SWAC should take its new-found exposure to build itself to its highest heights, whatever that looks like, with an emphasis on keeping its unique culture and tradition in tact. The time, climate, and atmosphere just might be right for the SWAC to request tne NCAA to admit into its FBS ranks its first ever HBCU conference with waival of all entry fees as a special one-time official act of the agency, and that it be allowed to readjust and finalyze its membership composition, pursuant to said one-time official act, for up to one year from date of admittance. As I said, the time, climate, and atmosphere just might be right at this present time, but could cease to exist a year or two from now.
You’ve always been negative toward jsu. So your opinion Doesn't count.

If y'all haven't caught on yet, Prime don't say shit on these networks to just be saying shit! You night wanna check his track record while at JSU. There will be an FBS HBCU Conference in the very near future. The only question is who all is gonna be in it but rest assured this is not just a JSU deal. Tennessee State is already on board. I can easily see a 10 team conference
JSU
suCKS
Grambling
Alabama State
Tennessee State
FAMU
Prairie View A&M
BCU
North Carolina A&T
South Carolina State

If y'all haven't caught on yet, Prime don't say shit on these networks to just be saying shit! You night wanna check his track record while at JSU. There will be an FBS HBCU Conference in the very near future. The only question is who all is gonna be in it but rest assured this is not just a JSU deal. Tennessee State is already on board. I can easily see a 10 team conference
JSU
suCKS
Grambling
Alabama State
Tennessee State
FAMU
Prairie View A&M
BCU
North Carolina A&T
South Carolina State
And the rest of you all can kick rocks. 🪨 Well, I would wish Pine Bluff could be there too. Just for Lioness, cause she's my ❤

Forgive my ignorance please. Maybe this morning I'm a little bit cloudy for some reason but I am trying to figure out, if those 10 schools he named in an earlier post or to become FBS conference, what is the benefit?
What are the things that with all of a sudden change and be better other than the fact that our butt kicking games earn a little bit more money.

Let me take a shot at this mystical list: (bowl negotiations- Sunbelt, C-USA, American)

1) The SUperior One
2) Grambling
3) jStank
4) Alcorn
5) Tennessee St
6) Texas Southern
7) Prairie View
8) FAMU
9) NC A&T
10) AAMU
11) Bama State

Everyone else is SOL…lol

Last edited:
SWAC FCS
1) MVSU
2) UAPB
3) BCU
4) Tuskegee U.
5) Fort Valley
7) Langston (welcome home)
8) CAU

Anytime that someone lists A&T and TnSU in their hypothetical HBCU super conference instantly nullifies their list or opinion. What has A&T, TnSU or Hampton shown to make you think they would leave the ice cold water fountains to associate with a conference full of negroes?

By the way, UAPB spent more on athletics at last check than JSU and Grambling so having just "names" wont cut it

Again our living breathing commissioner in on video from two years ago with his plans for the entire conference to move up. When you always list UAPB and Valley to be left behind, that explains why SU doesn't travel to Valley (or even Jackson) and Valley fans don't give a damn about SU

Back